Does your school have a gatekeeper?

oh let me share when I was on the other end of this
there is a little whole in the wall bjj school
while I was a blue belt I was outside about to go to a bar near by but I wanted to check the school out
I got invited inside because they figured I was a potenial new customer when they found out I was from another gym they invited me to train when it was time to roll
I picked out a blue belt about my size and the instructor said you should roll with Paulo
fair enough I knew what was going on had a long roll and eventually got caught
I left knowing that school has strong guys

we have gate keepers as well but it is mostly for safety of our white belts.

any new guys will be matched against someone that has enough skills to not get hurt or to not hurt the new guy as well.

Never thought about it, but I always notice whenever we get a new person visiting from out of town, I always happen to be the one my instructor calls aside to have me roll with him. I'm not some amazingly competitive guy either.

i dont know if it's a curse or a compliment but i always get paired with the "new guy". i guess because i'm patient and my instructor has told me on a few occasions i train well whatever that means. only part i don't like is new guys always seem to find a way to step on your triceps haha. oh well i guess the bruises make you look like a bad ass the next morning at the gym.

if the guy is controlled i'll play a loose relaxed game and just let the guy work what he knows. i won't give up the tap but i don't care if they put me in a bad position as it gives me a good time to drill escapes against a little resistance.

on the other hand the spazs bring out the sadistic side of me. i enjoy feeling them give 110% to get no where and take them to the point where they cripple and give up. either i push them to exhaustion and they quit early or if they stiffen up i just hit them with a quick sub a minute or two before time is called.

either way i end the roll with a "you're pretty good bro, keep it up and come back i think you'll do well here".

We have a couple Gatekeepers to give vistors a good roll.

We also have go to guys for new muscle heads, in order to protect the white belts.

And we have JP, our enforcer. LOL. But thats mostly for our own guys. Rolling with him, is not very pleasent. Although he always manages to teach me something new whenever i roll with im.

Some kind of defense, better body position, etc... Hes like my GYM big brother. And plenty of beatings to go with it.

our school's gatekeeper is a cool dude unless ur not up to date on payments, then he wont even let you get on the mat, he needs to get off that computer and train more

that would be me
whenever someone is ticking off the coach he gives me a look and I shamble over
being a unassuming asian fellow my role in the gym is to cause the person as much suffering as needed until he gets the hint
we had this russian power lifter that came in every damn time teling us how all we needed was to get muscles like him nd we'd be so much better
it took me some like 100 smothers heelhooks neckcranks crucifix's
until the guy got the hint
STFU we genetically can not look like a magazine cover and we don't take steroids
and by the way I am stronger than you I just don't look like a greek staute

then there is this moron who was asked to be a demonstration dummy
while my coach does the techique the idiot tacles my coach who choked him out
the next day I taught him a lesson that problay should not be repeated on the internet

there have been a number of people over the years but those guys stick out

mostly though its people from other gyms that come in who want to challnege us

basically I am there to smash people
and there is another guy there to be the technical bully for the lighter weights

There is something weird about this. The idea of someone tackling a BJJ coach and choking him out when asked to do a demonstration is insane. I mean nobody would do that because it's so far outside of normal protocol that it's evidence of psychosis. Only a genuinely mentally ill person would do such a thing. Furthermore, how did he choke your coach out? My instructor would be more than able to handle himself if someone took him down. Fighting on the ground is his job after all. Lastly, it seems to me that guys would help the instructor out and pull the psycho off almost immediately.

At my school, how we treat new guys really depends upon their attitude. We're pretty laid back and everyone is very safe, so when a new guy comes to learn we roll slow and give them a lot of leeway, even if they spaz a little (it happens when you're new and don't know what the hell you're doing. It's easy to forget how scary being choked or armlocked is the first few times).

However, we are in a college town and so we get a lot of people coming in from all over, and not all of them have good attitudes. When that happens, it's basically open season and we certainly have our enforcers, many of whom are WAY underranked. We keep the asshole away from the new guys and the experienced fighters just cycle through kicking his ass, until our instructor gets tired of watching and rolls with the dude and taps him 8 or 10 times. I've seen this happen to two or three guys who came in claiming to be badasses. It was much the same back when I was still doing a lot of competitive Judo.

To address the basis of the post however, unless a guy comes in with an attitude we don't give him any crap, and if he rolls with a guy who's say, a blue belt but also a professional MMA fighter (of which we have 2-3), we let him know that this guy will probably kick his ass even if the guest is a purple. We never try to humiliate people unless they come in with an attitude, in which case, as I mentioned, we beat the living hell out of them to point where I've never seen one come back.

There is something weird about this. The idea of someone tackling a BJJ coach and choking him out when asked to do a demonstration is insane. I mean nobody would do that because it's so far outside of normal protocol that it's evidence of psychosis. Only a genuinely mentally ill person would do such a thing. Furthermore, how did he choke your coach out? My instructor would be more than able to handle himself if someone took him down. Fighting on the ground is his job after all. Lastly, it seems to me that guys would help the instructor out and pull the psycho off almost immediately.

he said the coach choked him out.

the coach wasnt the one that got choked out.

Back