Does your school have a gatekeeper?

I'm probably gonna drop in at Cindy's this Friday, I haven't been there in about a month and I miss it.

Yeah, i haven't been much either. Opening a new business has been a killer on my BJJ time. Plus i got a kid that trains there and its a bit of a long night for him if we go to his class hour and a half, then right into my class.

I get in there now and then but my cardio and shape arn't what they should be lol!!!!!

Once the business gets off the ground i will be back on a regular schedule for sure and split time between Cindy's and the Lotus club down by South Center.

My instructor is frequently the first one to roll with visitors with experience. I won't roll with any new guys until I see them roll with someone else first to see if they're a crippling injury waiting to happen.

Nah, my gym has two guys who are technically sound and who are basically nerds help the new guys. They're great tho. We also have this one, big huge guy who I think might have a pro mma record basically whoop anyone he wants. Also some asian guy who will absolutely rip anyone to pieces.

If you are a match for the gatekeeper does that make you the keymaster?

We have a few guys like that. Couple of brown belts, but best for this situation is one blue belt who is good for that because he looks like he's about 12 and he's a blue belt of 61ish kg. But he taps EVERYONE. But it's always good to give visitors an eye-opening first roll. ^_^

It's not about smashing people up, it's just about showing the level at the academy.

Take care,

Oli

(And then, there's always Roger. ^_^)

I am the female gatekeeper at my school. Sometimes they'll put visiting guys with me... i love the look on their faces when i win....

As in war, there is no winning in training

As in war, there is no winning in training

ok so how abouit when I tap them and they get mad? or if i manhandle them and still win by points? i'm a smaller female but hold my own.

I was convinced there's winning in war. Maybe Vietnam has confused the issue.

Yep we got gatekeepers.

But other than dick waving, there is the problem of somebody walking off the street, subbing somebody from your academy and then be all like:" Yea they suck I totally kicked their asses"

Yes. At the white belt level, there is a guy who works at the drugstore. He's my teacher go-to guy when a white or blue belt from another gym arrives, because he taps people like crazy and has a great base. I can't do anything to him.

I get paired with traveling blues/purples (I'm a purple belt) and my instructor usually wants me to "put it on" to show what we're about or whatever. But I always just match intensity - if the guy is spazzing and freaking out then he gets tapped quick.
Generally though putting it on by using strength is lame, I think its much more impressive to completely control someone while rolling light and not using weight/strength very much if at all.

Typically new people seem relieved that I tend to roll technically with them as I weigh like 220-230.

When a purple visits, our Professor will put him with our best blue around that weight, etc. Always a good match and there are definitely a few gatekeepers.
The best though is watching my 8 yr old girl whup middle-school and even small high school boys when they first join the school. That is a defining moment for that new student - for most at least - it lets them know BJJ is for real and the school is for real.

Back