Does your school have a gatekeeper?

DonkeyKong

Frazier > Ali
@purple
Reaction score
Just an amusing thing that I remember back from my BJJ days ( 5 years ago or so), I remember that my gym, and many others I went to, had a guy in every belt that was like.... the representative of that belt.

And what would happen was, occasionally an athlete from another school would come and the teacher would have him roll with this gatekeeper.

Of course.... he would be very casual about it.... he`d be like, hey, welcome, let me see who you can roll with... aha, I know, you can roll with "x".

Except X is the most talented, hungriest, and best technique guy you have at that belt.....

Does your school or instructor do this?

I remember clearly when Lucas Rocha, back then a blue belt ( twice world champion, juvenile and adult), was casually asked to roll with a visiting purple and wiped the mat with the guy. The teacher couldn`t hide his grin.

Vitor Estima was the purple belt gatekeeper at the time, haha. He rolled with him next and it was a massacre. At that point the guy was obviously embarassed, and the teacher, nice as he is, even went ahead and said " maybe you should warm up a bit first".....

Anyway, dick waving is a big part of BJJ culture in Brazil, so Im curious as to whether this ego thing transcended into the much more grounded American culture.

Do you see this, or attitudes like these, in your gym? :icon_lol:

Yes, the instructor always match up people rolling.

so if a new guy shows up, he always match him up with someone that is solid and has solid JJ.

It is for an ego trip but also for safety purposes. You do not want some guys injuring your white belts.

The idea then was pretty much to show a guy that his purple belt was of a lower level than those of our gym.... in the case of Lucas, he was used to tap guys of higher belts ( he proceeded to take the title in purple in both gi and no gi worlds too).... just so the teacher could look at the guy with a " what happened? oh thats too bad. purple belt...eh?"

:p

BJJ competitiveness in Brazil used to be fierce

A spaztic wrestler came to class a couple weeks ago who was about 6' 230lbs pretty solid and toward the end of class he started rolling with our instructor who is a female who is maybe 125lbs. And the dude was smashing on her, grinding on her and using small slams and just spazzing and using all his weight and muscle and being a dick. Well of course our instructor turned it up a notch and started the crossfacing and little elbows to open up subs and caught him about 3 or so times but it was of course wearing on her.

So the timer beeps and she tells him to stop being a dick and use his fvcking head for a second, walks off the mat and says Eric roll with the new guy and show him how it works here.

felt pretty good to be picked out of the class to show the dude what not to do!

*edit* class was kinda small that night.:redface:

Haha youre like the evil henchman.

oddjob4_300.jpg

Some of my older gyms used to have a few.

In my current gym, not really. We are a newer school, but doing well competitivelly on the local level.

In my current gym sometimes I am picked to roll with the outsider.
I always ask them and tell them my name. I always ask about everyones current injuries. And be cool in general. If the guy wants to spaz on me I generally just match his energy or fish up by going limp. If outsiders tap me I don't really give a flock. Competition is my time to prove something and getting hurt in the gym is not worth it for myself. With people I don't know in class I actually tap faster cause I do not know there skill level or how much pressure they will apply to a lock. When I am peaking and go hard with close team mates I tell/ask guys how intense I plan on going - 50%, 75% or 110%. My goal is for everyones bjj to get better, not just myself. Walking and subbing my teammates using d1ck moves is rarely ever in my line of thought. I will use it occassionally but I tell them competition speed and moves, then apply half natured.(crossface, elbows, knee in the sternum, etc)

my instructor mentioned a cool saying the other day about similar -
"if you're the only assh0Le at the party, who do you think is going to leave?" this is pretty much how most of my gym is. We're competitve to a point, but most are not typical A personality with a ruler measuring everyones cock.

A spaztic wrestler came to class a couple weeks ago who was about 6' 230lbs pretty solid and toward the end of class he started rolling with our instructor who is a female who is maybe 125lbs. And the dude was smashing on her, grinding on her and using small slams and just spazzing and using all his weight and muscle and being a dick. Well of course our instructor turned it up a notch and started the crossfacing and little elbows to open up subs and caught him about 3 or so times but it was of course wearing on her.

So the timer beeps and she tells him to stop being a dick and use his fvcking head for a second, walks off the mat and says Eric roll with the new guy and show him how it works here.

Whoa, was that at Cindy's? On a Friday a couple months ago? I might have been there that night. Because I remember Cindy going ballistic on a big new guy who was trying to smash people. But maybe that sort of thing has happened more than once!

I train with Team Garcia, naturally, we are all gatekeepers. I'm the white belt 3 stripe gatekeeper.

Anyway, dick waving is a big part of BJJ culture in Brazil, so Im curious as to whether this ego thing transcended into the much more grounded American culture.

I lol'd. But yes, my academy has a gatekeeper. A 16 year old blue belt named Rolondo. He taps everybody and taps to nobody.

I am put in charge of rolling with new guys with experience usually, doesn't happen that much

What's your level out of curiosity?

Whoa, was that at Cindy's? On a Friday a couple months ago? I might have been there that night. Because I remember Cindy going ballistic on a big new guy who was trying to smash people. But maybe that sort of thing has happened more than once!

yeah, pretty sure it was the same night!:icon_lol: I doubt that happens to much to her. Man she gets intense quick which i like. I remember her elbowing (short shots) his head out of the way for a triangle because he was smashing her with a mean ass 230lbs of cross face on the throat. She taps him, and he stops and says just a minute i want to "think about what just happend" which really means i need a fvcking rest..... then when "he is ready" he goes all balls to the walls again.

Damn man we may have rolled with each other with out knowing it, that would be hilarious!!!!!

Some of my older gyms used to have a few.

In my current gym, not really. We are a newer school, but doing well competitivelly on the local level.

In my current gym sometimes I am picked to roll with the outsider.
I always ask them and tell them my name. I always ask about everyones current injuries. And be cool in general. If the guy wants to spaz on me I generally just match his energy or fish up by going limp. If outsiders tap me I don't really give a flock. Competition is my time to prove something and getting hurt in the gym is not worth it for myself. With people I don't know in class I actually tap faster cause I do not know there skill level or how much pressure they will apply to a lock. When I am peaking and go hard with close team mates I tell/ask guys how intense I plan on going - 50%, 75% or 110%. My goal is for everyones bjj to get better, not just myself. Walking and subbing my teammates using d1ck moves is rarely ever in my line of thought. I will use it occassionally but I tell them competition speed and moves, then apply half natured.(crossface, elbows, knee in the sternum, etc)

my instructor mentioned a cool saying the other day about similar -
"if you're the only assh0Le at the party, who do you think is going to leave?" this is pretty much how most of my gym is. We're competitve to a point, but most are not typical A personality with a ruler measuring everyones cock.

Im damn near this exact same way down to the "asking injuries and what percent, etc". I enjoy putting myself into bad positions or "letting" (not overly resisting) my partner putting me in bad positions, etc.

The only problem is sometimes im to much this way and wonder if its a defense mechanism for not wanting to go hard.:redface:...............nay, im a stud and wouldn't ever feel that way!:icon_chee

What's your level out of curiosity?

Overall im pretty damn curious, in what regards are you talk'n? As in Curious about what? As in you challenging me motherfvcker!?!?!?!?!?!?:mad: You challenging my manhood!???~~?~?~?~???!??!?!?!?!:( Or are you just "curious" about my "Curiosity"?

*edit* just realized you meant to quote DonkeyKong and not me....... please ignore the "motherfvcker" comment.:icon_chee

I am the female gatekeeper at my school. Sometimes they'll put visiting guys with me... i love the look on their faces when i win....

yeah, pretty sure it was the same night!:icon_lol: I doubt that happens to much to her. Man she gets intense quick which i like. I remember her elbowing (short shots) his head out of the way for a triangle because he was smashing her with a mean ass 230lbs of cross face on the throat. She taps him, and he stops and says just a minute i want to "think about what just happend" which really means i need a fvcking rest..... then when "he is ready" he goes all balls to the walls again.

Damn man we may have rolled with each other with out knowing it, that would be hilarious!!!!!

Haha, yeah she was like "You think you’re going to come into my school and go rough with my guys?!!! You think you’re going to come into my school and smash me?!!! Look at how big you are!!! And I’ll STILL beat you!!!"

I like how she is totally willing and able to do the "gatekeeper" job herself, no matter how much bigger the dude is.

I'm probably gonna drop in at Cindy's this Friday, I haven't been there in about a month and I miss it.

Overall im pretty damn curious, in what regards are you talk'n? As in Curious about what? As in you challenging me motherfvcker!?!?!?!?!?!?:mad: You challenging my manhood!???~~?~?~?~???!??!?!?!?!:( Or are you just "curious" about my "Curiosity"?

*edit* just realized you meant to quote DonkeyKong and not me....... please ignore the "motherfvcker" comment.:icon_chee

Just asking what belt you're wearin'

not often that lower level guys would be asked to defend the school's honor

Back