Does your JUDO club crosstrain...

Q mystic

Silver Belt
Reaction score
Is there a decent coach of wrestling or bjj that often offers some help?

not offically so that we have designated time for wrestling, bjj etc etc

My small club has one dude who did greco for 15+ years, competed on a national level, this is my main sparring buddy and the assistant coach

one dude who boxed and was a fight or two away from the olympic team in 88

had a uzbeki or something dude who had done sambo as a kid for a couple of months

Some of the comp judokas at my motherclub (we are an offshot) attend wrestling practises and bjj

often crosstrain with a few blackbelt TJJ guys

one dude who boxed and was a fight or two away from the olympic team in 88

So do you guys cross-train in boxing at your Judo club or are you just randomly listing off the accomplishments of some of the trainees there? Those are two completely different things.

My judo club does not cross-train, although there are guys with different backgrounds there.

I voted no as it was simply the 'very very' occasional shot or turn taught by a wrestler. Didnt happen enuff to qualify as help tho.

No.

We teach boxing and Judo, but they are separate entities... if they weren't, then it would not be Judo anymore, despite the fact that we might be using Judo techniques.

My club doesn't actively crosstrain (as in having a dedicated teacher from either art), but we have so many wrestlers and BJJ guys coming to train in judo that we end up taking stuff from both disciplines. Also, in my area, the sambo guys and judokas are fairly close-knit as the local sambo gym often participates in judo tourneys.

does it count that some of the black belts are wrestling coaches, a quarter of us are former wrestlers, and another quarter are old jits guys?

So do you guys cross-train in boxing at your Judo club or are you just randomly listing off the accomplishments of some of the trainees there? Those are two completely different things.

My judo club does not cross-train, although there are guys with different backgrounds there.

no as I wrote

not offically so that we have designated time for wrestling, bjj etc etc

I live 3 minutes walk from our dojo so I am oftne there hitting a bag before practise starts or whatnot, sometimes he shows me stuff with the mitts and so on. had a few private sessions with him

does it count that some of the black belts are wrestling coaches, a quarter of us are former wrestlers, and another quarter are old jits guys?

With the coaches, I would say yes (if you often see it). Not with the students tho.

Alot of my judo coaches were wrestlers as well but I voted no as it seemed different in the way that they worked the wrestling in than the wrestling coaches did at bjj class for instance. I do believe I got some from wrestling in the judo but we didnt work specifcally like bjj did in the nogi with wrestling.

Moreless, just to see what everyone is saying here. Not too scientific.:icon_lol:

With the coaches, I would say yes (if you often see it). Not with the students tho.

Alot of my judo coaches were wrestlers as well but I voted no as it seemed different in the way that they worked the wrestling in than the wrestling coaches did at bjj class for instance. I do believe I got some from wrestling in the judo but we didnt work specifcally like bjj did in the nogi with wrestling.

Moreless, just to see what everyone is saying here. Not too scientific.:icon_lol:

Back