Does your gym provide gloves?

DC_MMA

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys, just want some opinions here.

I'm opening up my own school and I'm in the process of buying equipment.

I'm curious to know about what other gyms do concerning gloves.

I've been in clubs that had "house gloves" and of course as you advanced, you were enticed to get your own gloves, and I've been in gyms where you purchased your own gloves right away.

How do I get people to buy gloves before they even know if they like the program or not?

thanks.

u don't u have to have some comunity gloves. a lot of people will buy gloves, but they want to know if it's worth sticking with at first. and usually they are aroung 50 bucks so it's not something people wil buy befopre they know whether they like it or not.
so have a whole bunch of sets of gloves, and then after a few weeks or something they will buy their own. no one wants to use those sweaty disguisting comunity gloves very long anyways

hrm the gym i went to for a long time provided gloves for whoever but the majority of people didnt want to stick their hands in other's sweat.

I think a lot of people would be turned away if they had to buy the gloves before training. When a lot of my friends ask about my gym one of the first things they ask is do they provide some equipment. Once people get into it though theyll want their own stuff

the gym I go to provides them...there all pretty old, and I bought my own 7 months into it...but its good for kids who first come in, cuz alot of times parents by their kids a bunch of shit, then there kids quit or somethin...its a smart idea....

My gym has loaner everything. loaner gloves, helmet, shin guard, and cup too. i think not mouthpiece.

CHawkins said:
Any good gym has gear available, period.

This is true but by two months into training people should have their own shit, at least one pair of their own gloves and headgear.

dapunisher said:
This is true but by two months into training people should have their own shit, at least one pair of their own gloves and headgear.
I agree, long-term trainers need to get their own gear, and I'm not at all opposed to a trainer telling them so.

But, just for the sake of good business, there should still be enough house gear to cover every new trainee that comes in the front door. If I ran a gym I'd never want to tell a newly-joined trainee that he can't train today because we have no gear for him to use.

i had a gym that were complaining about my 12 oz gloves and said i should get 16 oz. I asked if i can borrow some and they said no. probably should just ask to trade with whoever i spare with.

Get some really sucky and stinky gloves, every gym seems to have those. They encourage you to get your own right away.

I remember when I was a youngun first hitting up the gym and i had to use gym gloves my hands would always smell like old fish afterwards.
Anyways every gym should have some House Gloves and you should try to take care of them. At one gym i used to go to the kids would have to powder the gloves at the end of the session and hang them up to air out. They also have a bottle of mild disinfective near the shelf with a paper towel dispensor and if you use a head gear or a cup you had to clean it off witht he disinfectant. Maybe you could try this.

Boomstick said:
I remember when I was a youngun first hitting up the gym and i had to use gym gloves my hands would always smell like old fish afterwards.
Anyways every gym should have some House Gloves and you should try to take care of them. At one gym i used to go to the kids would have to powder the gloves at the end of the session and hang them up to air out. They also have a bottle of mild disinfective near the shelf with a paper towel dispensor and if you use a head gear or a cup you had to clean it off witht he disinfectant. Maybe you could try this.

Thats the way it should be, encourage people to get their own gear but provide equipment that doesnt smell like a rotting corpse for the new people.

At the gym I go to they provide gloves, pretty crappy so most people bring their own gloves.

At my gym, when you start, they give you gloves, wraps, and mouthpiece, and 2months of classes for 100 dollars

That sounds like a pretty good idea, having a begginers package where the equipment is provided to you along with your training, I would deffinately offer that as an option for people who know that they want to train.
But I would also have community gloves for the begginers who are not to sure, I wouldn't go for cheap shit though, if you give them cheap gloves they may buy cheap gloves, which is never good. You can pick up some basic Fairtex pretty cheap.

My gym hires out gloves for $2 and comes wih a disposable cotton inner glove. Easy way to keep the equipment in nice smelling condition.

Ben

Where I go there is a supply room with gloves, mits, pads, pretty much everything that anyone can use if they need to. Like everyone else said, you should have some gloves for community use but after 3-4 classes you should start recommending that people get their own equipment.

Remember Me? said:
At my gym, when you start, they give you gloves, wraps, and mouthpiece, and 2months of classes for 100 dollars
That's brilliant.

we have loaners, which aren't very clean, but perfect for the goofs who don't stay around. Those who do always buy their own gear.

yeah thy give us gloves, sparring gear and pads to use. the gloves tend to stink though, as does the sparring gear s oyuo have to be pretty tough to wanna use that stuff

Back