Does X guard work in MMA?

Luke Rockholds (?) kick

Carmen_basilio's_left_hook
@White
Reaction score
I think there is a massive misconception that x guard in MMA doesn't work I think if you off balance your opponent a lot with it. It works well unfortunately no one plays x guard in MMA.

I tried it last week in a mma sparring

I ate a couple of punches in the face just after I came underneath, but after I pushed on is legs and he started to lose is balance it worked just as good as it does in BJJ.

Sure I surprised the guy, because he's not familiar with it, but it was also the first time I tried it in MMA. It would've been another business with 2 UFC veterans.

In X guard you're willingly letting go of the distance management by coming under your opponent. I think it can work, but I don't think any coach will build is gameplan around this.

Sure it can, I see no reason why would not, you can’t really generate lots of power if you are off balance and if you are off balance and want to punch and not based out, you are gong to get swept... most Mma coaches I guess take the safe road, you could potentially get punched a couple of times in the transition though. So I don’t know...

Sure it can, I see no reason why would not, you can’t really generate lots of power if you are off balance and if you are off balance and want to punch and not based out, you are gong to get swept... most Mma coaches I guess take the safe road, you could potentially get punched a couple of times in the transition though. So I don’t know...
Yeah I think it's a risk vs reward the reward is getting the sweep and dominant back back hooks potentially but who know how the punches are scored but it works 1 thing for sure. That don't work in MMA are leg locks.

Yeah I think it's a risk vs reward the reward is getting the sweep and dominant back back hooks potentially but who know how the punches are scored but it works 1 thing for sure. That don't work in MMA are leg locks.

i hope your being sarcastic

i hope your being sarcastic
Not at all look at leg locks rousimar palhares won some fights with leg locks but he also lost a lot of them by leg locks too how many UFC champions drop down for a heel hook. I'm not up for fighting on Sherdog lol I don't even like this app but I'm bored.

Not at all look at leg locks rousimar palhares won some fights with leg locks but he also lost a lot of them by leg locks too how many UFC champions drop down for a heel hook. I'm not up for fighting on Sherdog lol I don't even like this app but I'm bored.

Saying that rousimar won many fights with leg locks already shows that leg locks do work...

All fighters lose, so stand up punches don’t work either? Fedor won many fights by straight up punching people in the face, he also lost some.. do tirangles don’t work? Many fighters have won by triangles, many fighters also got the shit beat up on the ground inside close guard...

Last edited:
Saying that rousimar won many fights with leg locks already show up that leg locks do work...

All fighters lose, so stand up punches don’t work either? Fedor won many fights by straight up punching people in the face, he also lost some.. do tirangles don’t work? Many fighters have won by triangles, many fighters also got the shit beat up on the ground inside close guard...
True lets just say no technique is foolproof but it's about reducing it.

round 1 having less than 45 secs on the clock to go, your on top standing trying to pass someone’s guard and you can’t, absolutely nothing wrong with dropping for a hh.. what’s the worst can happen the guy escapes and stands back up, he was going to be there in the next round anyways...

Last edited:
anything can work, it really just comes down to what your individual A game is...if youre a half guard player and try to go X in a fight, youre probably gonna eat some shots...if youre an X player and you go half guard in a fight, youre probably gonna get flattened out and smashed

Once you are there it would awesome, X is like 80% to a sweep anyway, hard for him to base and punch, getting there could be fun though....

I think it can work just fine, it's just a matter of timing. X guard isn't really a position you just chill out, you should immediately be compromising their base and working towards a sweep or transition. To me that means if they do throw punches they won't be meaningful.

paul harris lost because everyone knew his whole game was to get to there legs when your whole game is to do 1 thing no matter how good you are guys are gonna train there whole camp to defend it

x guard works well i think i go into it from half guard alot pull the guy into a deep half if he tries to stand i just insert my hooks and start to sweep or transition into leg locks

tbh trying to find the single leg x is better not only for sweeping or leg locking but to create space to stand up and get away people dont use it for that but i think its great for that

paul harris lost because everyone knew his whole game was to get to there legs when your whole game is to do 1 thing no matter how good you are guys are gonna train there whole camp to defend it

x guard works well i think i go into it from half guard alot pull the guy into a deep half if he tries to stand i just insert my hooks and start to sweep or transition into leg locks

tbh trying to find the single leg x is better not only for sweeping or leg locking but to create space to stand up and get away people dont use it for that but i think its great for that
Single leg x is cool never see it used in MMA I would say use the single leg x in MMA. To get back to your feet, as far as x guard I think it works but you have enter it very fast. Once in x off balance there leg rock the, forward and take the back the issue is getting there. Same with leg locks getting there without being TKOD can be risky

Single leg x is cool never see it used in MMA I would say use the single leg x in MMA. To get back to your feet, as far as x guard I think it works but you have enter it very fast. Once in x off balance there leg rock the, forward and take the back the issue is getting there. Same with leg locks getting there without being TKOD can be risky

There's so many good stuff we don't see in MMA in general and in the UFC

My general opinion is that there's a lot of fighters that would only do stand up if they can

That most fighters got pretty good at stuffing takedowns

That most fighters that end up on their butt aren't the greatest grapplers anyway

And when there's a good grappler on his back he was most likely knocked down and in a panick mode

Single leg is also my favorite way to get into X. I find single X easier to transition to from say butterfly, shin to shin, etc. Once you are there if he is basing out to much or stripping the heel, putting the foot that normally goes against the outside of his hip to the middle of his legs against the inside of the the opposite hip is a real easy transition to make.

Rory MacDonald uses X guard in MMA. When Tarec was training to fight him, I had to try to mimick Rory's MMA X guard to help him prepare. I thought it worked well when opponents were standing over and waiting to punch.

BlankWarmCaecilian.gif

Not super clean, but he did it.

you have to be a good grappler to pull it off and fast obviously its something you need to be drilling daily at your gym with partners trying to hit you not something u just try randomly in a fight iv used butterfly guard in a fight to sucess before off a sprawled outsingle leg

Rory MacDonald uses X guard in MMA. When Tarec was training to fight him, I had to try to mimick Rory's MMA X guard to help him prepare. I thought it worked well when opponents were standing over and waiting to punch.

Isn't Rory like 30 feet taller than you? I would think the reactions would change with his Slender Man bullshit legs

Back