Does winning only the championship rounds matter

BlessedSoldier

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Should every fighter just coast for the first 3 rounds then win the championship rounds? All a champion apparently needs to win is 2 rounds anyway.

Fuck it let's just shorten all fights to 1 minute. May the best haymaker win.

No.

The fact that championship fights are more rounds than a normal fight is already a pretty weird idea. I do like 5 round title fights and main events, but it's a weird concept in the sporting world... That a match or game would be longer

No but.....to be able to push yourself in those 4th and 5th rounds could very well determine whether you're at a championship level or just another contender.

Let's make championship fights only 2 rounds if the others don't count anyway. ^^

To beat a champion while coasting in championship rounds you better have BEAT HIS ASS. It's not complex. It just didnt happen

When you're behind 29-28, 29-28, 28-29 after 3 rounds, championship rounds matter.

Look. Mousasi drew with Jardine because one ref gave Jardine the 2nd round. It was at least as bad if not worse than when Soliz gave Giles round 1 last weekend (vs Krause).

Shit gets weird sometimes. Check out this strike:

It shouldn't, but does. Life not fair. Reyes 1,2,3. Game plan should have won him the title.....didn't.

If you can avoid getting knocked out and your opponent is going hard early it makes sense to coast through the first two. Let them tire themselves out and then you are fighting a half speed and half power opponent. As long as you save the gas tank you have way better odds of winning the last three at an advantage than the first three going at even exhaustion.

If you can avoid getting knocked out and your opponent is going hard early it makes sense to coast through the first two. Let them tire themselves out and then you are fighting a half speed and half power opponent. As long as you save the gas tank you have way better odds of winning the last three at an advantage than the first three going at even exhaustion.

I get what your trying to say...but i believe at the top of the game you cant afford to coast any rounds..if you look at the greatest fighters to ever do it...they have one thing in common they were always in it for every minute of every round..

Coasting rounds at the beginning or end of a fight at the top level is never a good idea for this exact reason...judges cant tell intention and dont read gameplans so you gotta fight every minute of every round to leave no doubt...ive seen this many times in fights were fighters just try and coast for the judges dec..it rarely works unless you've totally outclassed ur opponent but if thats the case you should just finish the opponent as your clearly the better fighter IMO...not doing so will open the door for backlash

Side note : i see you have a purple name tag whats your record and it what sport? Im looking to compete in MMA sometime soon and always like seeing pro fighters on here

Last edited:
It makes no sense when people say "YOU GOTTA BEAT THE CHAMP TO BE THE CHAMP !!!1!!1!1!!!"

Shit is scored round by round, if you win three of five rounds you win the fight. I don't understand where this other bullshit comes from.

I get what your trying to say...but i believe at the top of the game you cant afford to coast any rounds..if you look at the greatest fighters to ever do it...they have one thing in common they were always in it for every minute of every round..

Coasting rounds at the beginning or end of a fight at the top level is never a good idea for this exact reason...judges cant tell intention and dont read gameplans so you gotta fight every minute of every round to leave no doubt...ive seen this many times in fights were fighters just try and coast for the judges dec..it rarely works unless you've totally outclassed ur opponent but if thats the case you should just finish the opponent as your clearly the better fighter IMO...not doing so will open the door for backlash

Side note : i see you have a purple name tag whats your record and it what sport? Im looking to compete in MMA sometime soon and always like seeing pro fighters on here

Honestly I don’t deserve the tag. I had one pro fight 15 years ago. Different era in the sport and on this website. These days you have to earn it. I am 1-0 in MMA with an okay BJJ tournament record.

I loved fighting but didn’t fight again because the pieces just didn’t fall into place. I had one opponent no show, the next missed weight by a lot and the commission cancelled it. It is mentally tough preparing for a fight and having it fall through makes it hard to reset. Then I messed up my knee training and my corporate career started taking off.

A million excuses and life worked out well for me but I would have loved to get a few more fights. If you are seriously thinking about it, I highly recommend getting at least one. There is nothing in the world that can match the feeling of getting your hand raised in the cage. The whole experience is just euphoric from the walk to the cage to the after party if you enjoy an adrenaline rush.

I got nostalgic and forgot to answer the reply on the topic. I agree that coasting is not traditionally what the greats do in MMA. But if you look at boxing Ali’s rope a dope was genius. Mayweather made a career skating through early and often losing the first few rounds. I hate point fighting in MMA but as the sport evolves we will see someone master point fighting. GSP after the Serra fight was basically a point fighter.

Back