Does Usman still have time surpassing GSP?

Even though Usman was winning before the kick, age catches up to everyone. I had said in the past that even though Usman continues to win, defensively he was not as good. People tend to overlook a weakness as long as a guy keeps winning. Colby landed many good shots on him, but Colby doesn't have power & Colby himself isn't a great striker. Burns was very close to finishing Usman too. Most of the GOATs, have about a 10 yr window of dominance or prime, then its downhill. There are exceptions of course, but in general that is true of most of the divisional GOATs

Crush Leon in a rematch and 1 more dominant victory and he's knocking on the door for me.

Probably not.

But uf he does somehow go through Leon, Belal, Shavkat, and Khamzat....I'd consider putting him ahead of Georges.

Basically zero. Also needs to pass Hughes first. GSP, BJ, Sherk, Mach, Trigg x2, Newton x2 etc is stronger than Usman’s record.

No one is passing GSP. These new WW just don't have the riddum to do it.

Imo this loss really pushed him back

He will need to do some drastic moves imo to be even back in the convo

1. WW Strap
2. MW Strap
3. Multiple WW defenses
4. Couple MW defenses and vacate

Then and only then can we talk about these two guys in the same conversation

Even if he wins. Age plays a factor. He's not getting there. So many hungry young upcoming stars coming up.

Yes.

Win the trilogy against Edwards, for which he is a big favourite (-290 or so), then beat Chimaev and Rakhmonov without controversy (so nothing like GSP's split decisions against Hendricks and Penn).

GSP fanboys won't admit it, but that would objectively be enough, especially if Chimaev or Rakhmonov goes on to be a dominant champ after Usman retires.

He's allready arguably the second greatest ww ever if he wins the belt back & gets another defense or 2 he'll be ww goat IMO

the only good wins in that list is gsp and penn, maybe sakurai
Sean Sherk is also an elite win.

Usman was getting dangerously close to closing in on my boy GSP so I'm glad he was stopped; now that he has no chance at reaching him again, imma finally be able to root for him again, like for the Woodley fight, what a fight that was...

Kamaru was the GSP haters best hope, and lots of people started to add him as the 5th man in the consensus top 4 (Fedor/Jon Jones/GSP/Anderson), to replace Aldo.
Looks like it wasn't meant to be...

If he beat Anderson's 16 fight record he would have had a strong case. Now his only chance is through title defenses assuming he ever wins the belt back.

GSP lost his first title shot, lost his first title defense, and had one unconventional finish over 9 defenses.

If Usman regains the title and gets 3-4 defenses, he will surpass GSP. If he regains the title and gets 2 finishes in 2 defenses, he'll surpass him too. Usman already beat GSP's WW win streak and has the second longest win streak in UFC history. He's extremely close to GSP already. It won't take much.

Even if he hadn't lost to Leon, 40% of his title defense came from cherry picking C level fighter Masvidal, his resume was weak.

I heavily doubt it. His resumé isn't anything special and he tanked it by fighting Jorge twice (someone who should never have fought for a belt) and an unnecessary Covington rematch. He'll be 36, been the victim of numerous injuries and coming off of a brutal KO loss for the 1st time in his career. His chances in a rematch aren't particularly good but even if he does get past Leon there's still the new breed of WW contenders he might not be in a state to deal with (Chimaev, Shavkat, Morales etc.).

I think his body is falling apart too much. Now the heavy KO. If he won 4 more it's probably close. But I think age and damage gets him.

No. He’s not really close even before the loss.

Back