Does TJ winning give momentum to the title challengers?

PULPF1CT1ON

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I don't think I gave TJ any chance at all against Barao. Virtually he was beat everywhere on paper. All the challengers coming up have a great chance to dethrone the current champions. Gus vs. Jones, Cain vs. Werdum, Aldo vs. Mendes also with Machida vs. Weidman, I can see a potential changing of guard with all of these fights. How bad would it fuck UFC up If all of there current chapions lose?

I'm a fan of Werdum, but I don't see how he has a great chance. Cain doesn't have mediocre cardio like Browne, has better hands, and is faster. Werdum can always get the submission but I don't see it happening.

Gus does indeed have a great chance against Jones, as does Mendes against Aldo. I think the UFC would be happy to have Aldo lose, as Mendes would be a much more marketable fighter. They wouldn't be too happy if Jones loses to Gus though.

I'm a fan of Werdum, but I don't see how he has a great chance. Cain doesn't have mediocre cardio like Browne, has better hands, and is faster. Werdum can always get the submission but I don't see it happening.

When Werdum fought burger king, you could see that his stand-up had improved but when he fought Browne, he was a totally different beast and looked better than he ever had before. Werdum's stand-up display against Browne made his fight with Cain MUCH more interesting. No way would I count Werdum out.

Gus does indeed have a great chance against Jones, as does Mendes against Aldo.

I think Aldo makes quick work of Mendez, again.

TJ already have good foundation of skills from training at Alpha Male.

And looking at the weigh ins, it looked like TJ was in the best shape in his life and probably worked his ass off effectively throughout his training camp. Renan Barao had a really rough weight cut. (just from speculation)

TJ on the other hand put a performance of a life time and probably one of the most dominant underdog victories with a 9:1 odds ever. I don't think I have seen something this dramatic and dominant from a 9:1 underdog. I think GSP/Serra was kinda close, but GSP wasn't riding a 32 fight win streak. Nor was he pound for pound at the time they fought.

It happens only once in a very long while.

Gus does indeed have a great chance against Jones, as does Mendes against Aldo. I think the UFC would be happy to have Aldo lose, as Mendes would be a much more marketable fighter. They wouldn't be too happy if Jones loses to Gus though.

I know Jones is basically the poster boy atm but a european champion wouldnt be the worst thing for the ufc.

Exciting time in more or less all the divisions though which is great to see. I look forward to seeing how it all unfolds :D

All of these challengers have a chance. That much has been clear since Serra vs. GSP.

However, can they do it consistently, and against a variety of opponents? That's a much different question.

TJ already have good foundation of skills from training at Alpha Male.

And looking at the weigh ins, it looked like TJ was in the best shape in his life and probably worked his ass off effectively throughout his training camp. Renan Barao had a really rough weight cut. (just from speculation)

TJ on the other hand put a performance of a life time and probably one of the most dominant underdog victories with a 9:1 odds ever. I don't think I have seen something this dramatic and dominant from a 9:1 underdog. I think GSP/Serra was kinda close, but GSP wasn't riding a 32 fight win streak. Nor was he pound for pound at the time they fought.

It happens only once in a very long while.

GSP pretty much got caught though. He'd beat Serra 9/10. Looks like Barao just couldn't get it together, or maybe Dillashaw "has his number."

Sucks to see him lose like that but it's always a good thing when the division gets shaken up like that

It always brings up a lot of questions regarding rematches and upcoming title defenses

The UFC title picture is looking pretty good now in a lot of divisions

I don't think I gave TJ any chance at all against Barao. Virtually he was beat everywhere on paper. All the challengers coming up have a great chance to dethrone the current champions. Gus vs. Jones, Cain vs. Werdum, Aldo vs. Mendes also with Machida vs. Weidman, I can see a potential changing of guard with all of these fights. How bad would it fuck UFC up If all of there current chapions lose?

Jones vs Gus 2
As much as I would like to see Gus take this one I think jones will finish the fight In the 4th by using more leg and oblique kicks to keep distance pick his shots in between and maybe a few eye gouges here and there .

Cain vs Werdum
Werdum is completely out classed he is a awesome martial artist but the pressure Cain brings will be much Cain via TKO in the 2nd

Aldo vs Mendes
This is a close one IMO Aldo is extremely gifted and skilled in all areas but Mendes has been on a tear lately (apart from last fight)LnPing to a UD but this could go either way if Mendes can't put Aldo out in the first 3 rounds Aldo will take a late TKO or UD

Weidman vs Machida
This is a bad match up for machida as well as Weidman . IMO I think Machida will do his usual countering style which won't work against Weidman . Weidman will pressure Machida press him against the cage take him down at will and score a TKO/KO late 2nd or mid way into the 3rd

Back