Does this PPV "success" change everything?

jamesgalb

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Does this go on to effect top ranked fighters and how they see their earning potential in Bellator?

Are "PPV Options" with Bellator suddenly a real thing for fighters?

Does this make it a hell of a lot harder for UFC to match offers on fighters at the end of their contract and looking for PPV Options?

I personally see a LOT more contract battles, which is something the fighters have needed for a LONG time :)

I think Bellator should bring back a re-vamped Fight Masters, to increase their bidding power when up against TUF...

Those ppv points look pretty good now.

I agree with most of the OP but I think they need to stay away from TUF/Fight Master type stuff and do more of the behind the scenes type programming they did in building up this show.

There's a way to do this while also introducing new fighters. Show prospects training with these guys and then you start to see those prospects on the TV shows and PPVs. Michael Chandler is training for his rematch with Eddie Alvarez and he's got "X" in his camp, working out with him. Next time we see "X", he's cornering Chandler. Then the next season we see him in a Bellator tourney and we recognize him because we've been seeing him.

There's probably another way to do it but I think they need something completely different since that old format is about 5 years beyond played out.

Those ppv points look pretty good now.
Not really at all. They can only spread those so thin. Rampage, Eddie, and Tito are already getting PPV. So they'll either have to do more PPVs to lure them with PPV points or literally just not make any money at all.

100k is not a "success" money wise. They can't survive off of that, they will need a lot more then that.

Their accountants said they only need ~70k to survive, so over 100k is a success, especially since their numbers are only gonna increase.

If they wanna try to enter the television-show market, they'd do better to try their hand at creating a drama or comedy centered around fighting than they would around a competition reality show. Dat TUF bubble's burst.

Just having a ppv changes everything, the more ppv sold better obv but I don't think it mattered if they made/make a dime.

That being said, it will never help if they keep letting top 10 guys/potential go to wsof and not make offers. They can shell out for shields, Melvin, palhares, okami

I dont know, they can only give so many guys PPV points.

Obviously to make it worth while they have to give points on all buys unlike UFC deals which start around 200k. So say you give someone 3 bucks per buy, every buy thats 300k you pay for 100k buy PPV.

They had to pay Tito, Page, Chandler PPV buys for this card and also Eddie if he is on a card. In order to steal top UFC talent they are gonna have to make it worth it.

So we know they can do 100k with Rampage, doesnt mean they can do it without him, doesnt mean they can do that every time and do 5 PPV a year.

So if you are a top UFC guy who can get PPV buys like say Gil, Gil got a better deal from Bellator that allows PPV points to kick in earlier than 200k buys. But in the UFC on a big card like the end of the year card that card will likely do ok and he can end up making more money on a UFC card that does ok than a Bellator card that does 100k buys.

And to do that Bellator has to stack it, Gil was gonna sign and fight Brooks on this card.

So imagine Tito, Page, Eddie, Chandler, Gil all getting PPV points on this card, you think Bellator makes anything then? Having to pay all their reg salaries and give each PPV points plus the cost of putting on and promoting the event.

So yeah some guys could come over, maybe guys who dont get points now like Nate Diaz, Bellator could give him a really good deal to come over that allows him to make more in Bellator than in the UFC but the top guys who get points, Bellator cant match that.

Hopefully it makes them spend more in promotion and in signing fighters. Not just older fighters with some name recognition but also younger up and coming fighters to get some new blood in. Tired of the same fighters fighting over and over again in these tournaments

I think it's an interesting dynamic with UFC PPV numbers being down. Gilbert Melendez's PPV points clause is set up to kick in lower than many other fighters, which is ideal in the UFC these days when not many PPVs are doing big numbers. So even if Gil is on a card that doesn't do big business he can still get a decent cut.

UFC fighters will have infinitely more opportunities to be on PPV though. Those slots on Bellator PPVs will only go to the legends (Rampage, Tito), champions (The Michael Chandler show), and tournament finals. It's not like they can sign a ton of guys to PPV contracts now, otherwise those fighters will end up being pretty disappointed when they don't get on the show.

Bellator can't get cocky offering big money contracts to a ton of fighters now. They need to keep that slow and steady building that's kept them going this whole time.

Yes.

It gives them more credibility when they put them in the contracts. Especially if the points kick in immediately and not after a certain checkpoints which i believe is the case. If Chandler does get points, he just blew any recent lighter weight UFC champ out of the fuckin water when it comes to PPV points, and probably base pay as well.

Their accountants said they only need ~70k to survive, so over 100k is a success, especially since their numbers are only gonna increase.

If they wanna try to enter the television-show market, they'd do better to try their hand at creating a drama or comedy centered around fighting than they would around a competition reality show. Dat TUF bubble's burst.

I don't see those numbers increasing that much. I know most people won't pay $45 for anything that isn't the UFC, and that card didn't do much to build any big new names outside of maybe Brooks and Paige. Tito and Rampage aren't gonna be around much longer and then the mainstream appeal is zero

I don't see those numbers increasing that much. I know most people won't pay $45 for anything that isn't the UFC, and that card didn't do much to build any big new names outside of maybe Brooks and Paige. Tito and Rampage aren't gonna be around much longer and then the mainstream appeal is zero

In a 5 fight card, they built two new guys and rebuilt Tito. How many guys usually end up getting built in one PPV? Not many.

Also, right now, making profit on PPV is not important if they want to grow. So long as they break even, PPV will be an valuable tool which will help them attract top name fighters so they can grow as a company. They will always have their television deal to fall back on which is their bread and butter while PPV can be used to attract top stars which will hopefully be able to make money on later when PPV buys increase.

MVP was the MVP of the show. His dancing was so damn entertaining. If he can manage to win the title doing that stuff he will be huge!

In a 5 fight card, they built two new guys and rebuilt Tito.

LOL @ rebuilt Tito

1349061344521.jpg

LOL @ rebuilt Tito

1349061344521.jpg

Whats so funny? Tito got a big win and the feeling around Tito now is positive as opposed to negative which it was before. Seeing as he is one of their bigger stars, that is a good thing.

Sure they buried a champion in the process but for their PPV business, they can now put Tito in a top fight coming off this win without having people ridiculing them.

Back