1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Does this cluster**** at HW pretty much confirm Stipe’s career is over?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by PlasticFishBowl, Jul 23, 2021.

1. PlasticFishBowl Blue Belt

Stipe is about to turn 39. He’s been in the game a long time and been KO’d 2 of his last 4. So it’s not like he has years left to just chill out and improve.

But because Dana is lowballing Francis we have an interim title fight. Then after that we will have Francis vs. the winner of that. God only knows when that will take place with how hard coming to terms will be. Then after that, we still have Jon Jones trying to get a title fight sometime next year.

So is Stipe really about to sit out and wait for 3 more heavyweight title fights before he gets a rematch? It hurts my heart to think of a 40+ Stipe getting fed to an elite KO artist.

Kingofthestreets likes this.
  2. TreeOfWoe Blue Belt

Stipe was really inactive to begin with, so it's not a big change now. Presumably he wants time off after Ngannou murdered him.

3. Only Here for Attachments Bacon Lettuce and Mayo

Makes you wonder who Dana actually wants as HW champ

TreeOfWoe likes this.
  4. SirKratos Silver Belt

Yeah, every fighter has to fight for the title or otherwise their career is over.

tozot, UsernameLOL and Gamer007 like this.
  5. Mr Moist Purple Belt

It would be a perfect opportunity for Stipe vs Jones. Unfortunately, Jones doesn’t seem to be in any hurry to fight either.
    Stipe will most likely have to take a contender fight, which I think is fair. Stipe said he wants another shot at Francis, but I don’t recall him asking for a instant rematch. Blaydes or Volkov towards the end of the year would work and be fresh matchups.

6. MCarpo Purple Belt

Dana’s playing hardball with some of the top names at HW, and I don’t think he and Stipe have a great relationship to begin with, so I can definitely see Stipe getting the hamster-wheel treatment as well. Considering his legacy is already set and he has another job, I would not be surprised if he doesn’t come back.

Dirty Frank likes this.
  7. Jojomojo Brown Belt

Dana doesnt like him, He is super inactive and he just got murked by Francis. What do you expect?

Hannibal Lector likes this.
  8. HNIC215 Semper Fidelis...

I'd say Dana would want Black Beast... Derrick takes anything Dana gives him and doesn't complain as much as Francis.

looq, RogerD, Carrotman23 and 2 others like this.
  9. Dirty Frank el ballsbreaker

Stipe's taking his sweet time. Why hurry? The rest of the top dogs can just eliminate each other in the meantime while he goes about his splendid day job in Ohio. He can take the title fight anytime being the UFC HW GOAT

10. Cauliflower Ear Banned Banned

Stipe can fight, he choses not to fight, and sit out like a spoilt kid for a title shot.

11. blastoff Banned Banned

Stipe vs Jones makes so much sense, and that's why it'll never happen

UsernameLOL and IngaVovchanchyn like this.
  12. OneManGang Brown Belt

Stipe is too charismatic for Dana. Dana lacks charisma and he is incredibly envious of Stipe.

Mob69 likes this.
  13. Mob69 Black Belt

Anyone other than Stipe and Francis. Probably Lewis. None of these guys are big draws but Lewis shows up and doesn’t complain. In the era of contracted revenue from ESPN, Dana just wants someone who is easy to work with, i.e. is content with his purse.

14. Mob69 Black Belt

<mma4>

OneManGang likes this.
  15. svmr_db Brown Belt

If Stipe is so charismatic how did he get cucked by a bantamweight?

Hannibal Lector likes this.
  16. OneManGang Brown Belt

Most people are won over by Stipe’s mumbling. The process of interpreting the words mumbled creates a significant bonding between Stipe and the fans. I am surprised that so few fighters engage in charismatic mumbling. It is truly a way to win fans over.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    3879, UsernameLOL, Prologue and 6 others like this.
  17. moreorless87 Straba

I wouldnt be supprised if Stipe is holding out for a fight with Jones, Jon not wanting to face Ngannou opens the door for him facing someone else at HW and Stipe did seem like his target previously.

18. theleerygoose Purple Belt

Stipe is almost 40 and has been KOd twice in his past 4, safe to say he’s on the tail end of it. This sport does not end well for fighters who get KOd late in their career.

The only thing that benefits Stipe is that he takes so long in between fights it gives his chin a chance to rest, but it’s still not good enough. He should hang them up honestly and retire as the greatest UFC HW of all time, for now anyways.

If he does fight you should be hoping that he takes at least a year off, he needs time to recover from that vicious KO. If he fights again against anyone elite in the next 6 months he’s going to get KOd guaranteed.

19. blaseblah Titanium Belt

Stipe should fight someone else. He's only fought two active UFC fighters, Ngannou and Arlovski.

20. g*r*b Super-Stretch Elastic Waistband

With his son due to be born in a month or less he ain't hurrying to get back into a fight camp. But another kid to fund a future for is a powerful argument for not standing on the sidelines too long...

What is more worrisome to me than the logjam per se is that Stipe answered an Instagram comment asking when he'd be fighting again with "When Dana stops playing games." Though I'm sure he didn't mean it as such, that's a phrase that could be considered the equivalent of "when pigs fly."

The Big Babou likes this.