Does this boxing gym seem like it's a waste of time going to?

ADAMANT_

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
There's only one gym available in my area. Classes are twice a week. A few rounds of sparring are thrown in once a week. A typical class consists of mainly cardio bodyweight exercises (e.g. jumping jacks) and hitting a heavy bag. Nobody tells you the proper way of hitting the bag. A few minutes is dedicated to pad work where technique is actually explained. You can train an extra day at this place if you are on their competitive team. None of the trainers there offer personal training sessions.

Anyway, I've been going to this place for a couple of months and wonder if all boxing gyms are going to be the same. I don't really feel like I've improved/learned much; I feel that at the rate you actually train technique at this place you may as well go to a boxer-cise gym. I'm still completely clueless to terms I hear thrown around in regards to boxing:

-I have no idea how to slip a punch (in sparring I just lean back)

-I have no idea how to bob & weave

-Creating angles?

-Pivoting

-Head movement

-Parrying

-Most I know about footwork is to bounce on the balls of my feet when moving and to drive them into the ground when punching

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the things mentioned above just the fundamental (but still really important) basics for boxing?

Sounds like a boxercise class to me with the exception of "sparring". I'd look into finding one on one instruction in your area if you're looking to learn actual boxing.

Two classes a week, having no trainer, and putting you guys to spar is pretty stupid. Though if you're not planning to be competitive or carry professional aspirations, you probably won't find a trainer to work with you anyway at a legitimate gym.

How much are you paying, out of curiosity?

Does your coach look like an oldsr version of this guy?

<{JustBleed}>

How much are you paying, out of curiosity?

Only 2 Euro per class. The gym has a lot of people come in for classes so I suppose they can get away with charging so little. In fact, it's mostly kids who go to train there, generally ages 12-16. I'm 19, so another issue is being unequally matched in sparring (with ~16 year olds, not any younger obviously). I'm in Ireland. I'm not sure if it's some sort of cultural thing for boxing gyms here to be set up this way--I've tried checking out other boxing gyms in nearby towns and they all seem to be structured the same.

What are some things I should look out for when searching for a new boxing gym? All the things I mentioned I was clueless about in my opening post, would those have been covered already had I spent my time at a different/better gym?

Are these "chain" type clubs? Sounds like it. These clubs work on the basis of maximising numbers and retention. That usually means minimal being punched in the face as that tends to weed out the weak members very quickly.

Look for another gym, unless what you're after is getting a reasonable fitness level.

A gym is a facility and that's it!

Best thing to do is to find a respectable trainer in your home town and have him train you in the techniques. You guys can train a park or backyard. It doesn' matter just make sure they have proper knowledge.

Afterwards have him take you to respectable boxing gyms for sparring. This way you are independent and not affiliated with any gym and don't have to deal with gym douchbags.

Only 2 Euro per class. The gym has a lot of people come in for classes so I suppose they can get away with charging so little. In fact, it's mostly kids who go to train there, generally ages 12-16. I'm 19, so another issue is being unequally matched in sparring (with ~16 year olds, not any younger obviously). I'm in Ireland. I'm not sure if it's some sort of cultural thing for boxing gyms here to be set up this way--I've tried checking out other boxing gyms in nearby towns and they all seem to be structured the same.

What are some things I should look out for when searching for a new boxing gym? All the things I mentioned I was clueless about in my opening post, would those have been covered already had I spent my time at a different/better gym?

Like a previous poster has mentioned, it depends on what you're trying to do. If you're just trying to get fit and utilize their equipment (heavy bag, speed bag, double end) then any gym with these accommodations will suffice. If you're trying to compete, then find a gym with an amateur program.

As far as things to look out for, putting in beginners to spar with no trainer or instruction is a red flag for one. I'd look for a gym where trainers are actually watching over the fighters. Though like I said, if you're not planning on competing they most likely won't pay any attention to you anyway and you'd be basically doing your own thing like you would at any other gym.

I thought Ireland was big on boxing. Strange that you wouldn't be able to find a decent gym.

Last edited:
Does this boxing gym seem like it's a waste of time going to? There's only one gym available in my area. Classes are twice a week. A few rounds of sparring are thrown in once a week. A typical class consists of mainly cardio bodyweight exercises (e.g. jumping jacks) and hitting a heavy bag.

Classes should be at a minimum 3 to 4 time a week with sparring in every class (you don't have to go all out - 50%). Are you paying for this? If so, it is wasted money. You can probably get better training through the internet.

Like a previous poster has mentioned, it depends on what you're trying to do. If you're just trying to get fit and utilize their equipment (heavy bag, speed bag, double end) then any gym with these accommodations will suffice. If you're trying to compete, then find a gym with an amateur program.

I thought Ireland was big on boxing. Strange that you wouldn't be able to find a decent gym.

Competing is definitely my main priority, hence my concern with not knowing the basic boxing techniques :). The funny thing is, this gym (and the other gyms like it) all have competitive fighters/records. How these guys compete with the training that's on offer though, is beyond me.

Competing is definitely my main priority, hence my concern with not knowing the basic boxing techniques :). The funny thing is, this gym (and the other gyms like it) all have competitive fighters/records. How these guys compete with the training that's on offer though, is beyond me.

Well my advice is to you is find a gym that's 5 days a week (any gym that has a serious competitive team will be open at least 5 days a week) and just go in there every single day and put in work. It's that simple. Eventually a trainer will notice you and offer to train you if he sees potential.

Also, watch out for trainers who seemingly don't have your best interests at hand. This means putting you in to spar with more experienced guys and letting you get blasted. Yeah., it's boxing and you're going to get hit regardless, but there's a difference between getting hit and learning and just getting plain beat up. Good luck!

There's only one gym available in my area. Classes are twice a week. A few rounds of sparring are thrown in once a week. A typical class consists of mainly cardio bodyweight exercises (e.g. jumping jacks) and hitting a heavy bag. Nobody tells you the proper way of hitting the bag. A few minutes is dedicated to pad work where technique is actually explained. You can train an extra day at this place if you are on their competitive team. None of the trainers there offer personal training sessions.

Anyway, I've been going to this place for a couple of months and wonder if all boxing gyms are going to be the same. I don't really feel like I've improved/learned much; I feel that at the rate you actually train technique at this place you may as well go to a boxer-cise gym. I'm still completely clueless to terms I hear thrown around in regards to boxing:

-Creating angles?

-Pivoting

-Head movement

-Parrying

-Most I know about footwork is to bounce on the balls of my feet when moving and to drive them into the ground when punching

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the things mentioned above just the fundamental (but still really important) basics for boxing?

Why don't you just youtube these points? Are you that stubborn? There's half a dozen instructionals online by legit guys.

-Creating angles?

-Pivoting

-Head movement

-Parrying

Sounds about one step away from being cardio kickboxing classes, but at least it's not. Keep going until you find somewhere better because while it does sound kinda lame I also don't know how long you have been training. You could train at the best place ever and you probably won't notice a improvement until maybe 3-6 months in.

TS so you're 19 years old going to a 12 - 16 year old kids class?

I think you should find another gym.

And just to clarify on this, I essentially do a boxing circuit at my gym, they do have a lot of amateur fighters there and the odd pro. But even in the circuit we are shown proper technique and footwork, and on the pads they show us how to slip etc, they do try to get the odd fighter out of the circuits. So yeah I think if you can find another one you can usually do a trial class and see what you think.

A boxing gym with sparring is by definition a legit boxing gym. You are not doing traditional martial arts with lectures and gradings. If you want to know something, ask the coaches, or a fighter. They will help you out.

Back