Does this article make you lose respect for JDS?

Zuben**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Seems whiney to me.

http://www.espn.co.uk/ufc/sport/story/187980.html

Junior Dos Santos has attempted to explain his lop-sided UFC heavyweight title defeat to Cain Velasquez, claiming he had personal problems leading into the fight and peaked too early in his training.

Dos Santos suffered his first UFC defeat in the December 29 main event, losing his championship belt to Velasquez following a dominant display by the challenger.

The Brazilian claims he was not in the right mindset prior to the fight, and he also says doctors have revealed he had a catalogue of physical restrictions at UFC 155.

"Really it was my head," Dos Santos told Nagradedo MMA. "I had some personal things going on, a bit of my attention was lacking because of it.

"And another thing. Soon after the fight I went to the hospital and had a scan, which showed my creatine level was too high. The normal level is up to 300, mine was in 1400.

"I also had trouble in the urine and kidneys. The explanation of the doctors is that I pushed over the line, I overtrained and problems could have happened even before the fight

Huh. Hope I didn't break any forum rules with this thread. Did I?

I'm fine with him thinking he just didn't bring his best effort. He's the fighter, he's supposed to believe he's the best in the world and could only lose because he fucked up. It could very well be true, but I wish he'd just keep it to himself, if only for appearance's sake. No one else wants to hear the excuses.

Last edited:
If anything, the haters now have ammunition, regardless of the validity of the statements.

Not lost respect for him. He's trying to save face, he's got big time sponsors and his image means a lot to him now. Nike won't stick by him for long taking beatings like that in the cage

No but it's unfortunate. I think fighters have a really tough time staying away from the excuses, even if they are true.

Last edited:
Seems like Cain even beat the dignity out of him in that fight.

I don't think he was making excuses, but I think he's just embarassed about it. He'll be back, after Cain beats Overeem, Dana will feed Overeem to JDS

Unless you are an obscurantist who hates science you should know that JDS is telling the truth. He has hard facts backing his claim that he was way overtrained.

No lost respect, he's just trying to figure out went wrong.
He's pretty well blaming himself for the loss (mental and physical reasons), I've yet to hear from too many fighters who don't give excuses or reasons why they lost.

I don't think so at all. If he was trying to make it an excuse, he would have said he couldn't perform physically because of the problems. But he said they were mental, not physical.

The mental problems are his fault. I believe saying that it was problems inside his own head, and I didn't see him saying that he performed poorly because of the physical problems. He had mental blocks, which is always the fighters loss

Did you lose respect for Cain using his knee as an excuse the first time? No. He admitted it and said that was the reason for his performance. He didn't say that he defeated himself, that he was still the better fighter, etc. JDS has given credit to Cain's strategy and said that it was his fault for his own bad game plan.

He wasn't using an excuse he couldn't prove like other fighters (I was sick leading up to it, had an injury and didn't want it to get out, etc) He had abnormal creatine levels, and this was shown. As far as I see, he thought he was not mentally there like he was in other fights and thought that the creatine levels may have something to do with it

"yadda yadda yadda" = you still lost... He should of just said cain was the better man that night, ill get him next time

Fucking brazilians, man.

He should stay away from big nog.

It is as expected.
Most fighters has a bunch of excuses when they lose. There is always excuses ready for when you fail, it is tempting to use them.
They are all probably valid excuses to some extend, but it is pointless to start pointing them out. Because your life will never just be 100% downhill and easy, there will always be obstacles trying to block you, and they will have an effect.

I do appreciate it when a fighter doesn't start bringing up excuses, no matter what and how legit they are. But I do understand that it is probably hard not to.

i cant believe him nor his fans saw the fight how i did, he got tagged and looked half out of it until the fourth round.

no shame in that, but i here domination and surprise van and cardio and creatine, but i dont hear that he was rocked for 3 rounds and got his brain rattled.

Yeah it does somewhat he's singing the song; but what is worse is JDS fans like the post above mine (Baianada) that starts laying down the chorus & it become a crescendo!! An eternal Whine!

"yadda yadda yadda" = you still lost... He should of just said cain was the better man that night, ill get him next time"

Why? What does it change?

If this kind of stuff determines whether or not you respect a fighter, then you probably suffer from depression.

What an absurd standard.

"They are all probably valid excuses to some extend, but it is pointless to start pointing them out. Because your life will never just be 100% downhill and easy, there will always be obstacles trying to block you, and they will have an effect."

We're talking about a fight, not a Goddamn life-span.

Back