Does Thiago Santos deserve a rematch when he comes back?

Aldo, Shogun and Anderson are other Brazilian strikers that took crippling leg injuries and were never the same after.

They all had good boxing fundamentals though, so each kind of changed their games to adapt since weren’t much kickers any longer.

But Santos game is so kick heavy I’m worried it will really affect his ability and confidence to throw dynamic kicks...definitely need a tune up fight to see, maybe someone like Volkan, I don’t think you feed him a dynamic athlete in comeback fight like Johnny Walker or Raktic, might crush him if he isn’t the better athlete and gets styled on.

Give him a tune up fight, Jones is fighting Reyes already, Santos could fight someone else too.

Of course, he is the real champ.

I thought he controlled the pace of the fight which should have won him the fight.

He more than likely faces Smith and rematches him after he and or if he beats Glover of course.

Not an immediate one.
He's been inactive for too long.
He needs to earn his way back up the ladder.

He doesn't deserve a rematch.

Jones toyed with him and carried him the entire fight. Dude could barely walk after the 2nd round and Jones didn't even attempt to take him down.

why? Jones gave him his best chance to win and he didn't. rematch Jones will finish him in the first .

He doesn't deserve a rematch.

Jones toyed with him and carried him the entire fight. Dude could barely walk after the 2nd round and Jones didn't even attempt to take him down.

Jones had to be carried out of the Octagon after the fight his legs were so fucked up.

Santos is way better than Reyes and there won't be anyone else left after that fight so why not, if Jon doesn't go to HW that is.

I honestly like his chances at getting the MW strap better than the 205 strap.

No man. Sick and tired of rematches.
Especially to benefit the losing side. And even though he fucked jones up worse than anyone has since gus, he lost. Furthermore, in a rematch he gets dominated. The only way, as far as we know, to beat Jones, is to get him the first time round. You can't beat Jones in a rematch.

Let him rematch Smith. They both moved up from MW and lost to Jones.
Forgone conclusion unfortunately. We don't really learn anything from it. If anything we're just shitting on smith if we do, unless he turns a corner in his return.

Not trying to discredit Thiago, he is certaintly a dangerous striker and landed some hard kicks on Jones. But I think it was wierd that Jones didn't even try to use his wrestling. My guess is that he thought that he was clearly winning the standup battle.
Well, I had jones winning 3-2 but we’ve seen far crazier decisions.

Or does he need to fight again?

I honestly could see the scoring going in his favor if not a draw.

He really was the first person to calf kick and expose Jones’ boney legs as a weak point.

Assuming Bones gets past Reyes, I think he deserves one.

Either or. Corey deserves next shot right now, deserved it before Reyes IMO for derailing Walker's hype train. Large wrestler with heavy hands is best opponent for Jones. Think Santos waiting is the best option, he doesn't need another fight to justify the rematch per say, but he shouldn't be able to cut the line either. Santos winning a fight both pushes the issue and proves to the UFC and fans that Santos has fully recovered. Otherwise we could get stuck with something like Shad who was a different fighter after his injury. If that's the case I don't think anyone would really be interested in the Santos rematch.

Keep in mind the reason Santos got hurt is cause he was kicking Jones's legs. It was not a freak accident it was a product of his strategy. Jones's claim he chose not to take Santos down checks out this wouldn't be the first time he's tried to beat a challenger at their own strengths to prove a point. Do not expect the rematch to be nearly as competitive.

Back