Does there need to be higher women's weight divisions?

Do the UFC need to add higher women's weight division?

• Total voters

West Linn

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I feel it's kind of sexist that they have a limit to how big a woman can be at to compete in the UFC. You have to be 145 lbs or under.

Cyborg, the best female fighter in the world, struggles to make weight. She is literally twice the size of Frankie Edgar and 155 would probably be the best weight class for her.

Frankie-Edgar-Cristiane-Cyborg.jpg

Why is there a limit to how big a woman can be to compete in the UFC?

Men can fight up to 265. Women 145. So women can only be half as big as men? That is incredibly sexist.

They need to open a heavyweight women's division. Or at the very least, openweight.

Let me know if you agree with me.

Oh yeah being on the big gals lol, should set the limit at 265 like men just to be fair.

Zero interest in Gabiweight. Only so many 50+ year old Asian pro wrestlers to stack that division with.

I think there needs to be a women's hw so to speak. The highest Wmma weight class, what
ever the ufc decides that should be, should be more open like the hw division. Not a 60 pound range but like 20-30 pounds or so.

As of now they have a division created just for cyborg in which they have to pull challengers from lower weight classes. If they open up the weight limit there would instantly be more potential opponents and ones that could actually pose a threat.

They cant get a decent top 10 at 135 that is the oldest division in the UFC....145 is a joke with 135ers moving up, no need for more of that, i can see 145 going away with Cyborg.

There isn't even anyone at 145 so no way.Maybe someday,but at the same time i'd watch Gabi vs Cyborg.They should just entertain one off freak show fights here and there.Same with mens division,take the limit off for some freakshow fights only.Not sure what the commissions take on it is but I don't see a problem.I started watching the day UFC 1 came out,I still like freaskshow fights it's what I grew up watching.

Not right now, but it does need an Atomweight(105) division. It's actually a relatively deep and very entertaining division.

There's probably like .01% of the female population that could not make 45 without cutting. Gabby is a rare sized freak, but gals that big are so uncoordinated and clumsy that it is terrible to watch. The talent pool is already small enough for the 45'ers, no need to waste funds when guys like MVP, Minakov, Askren, Rory, etc could all be thrown more money and signed. I may be a rare WME era fan that still wants to see the best fight the best - call me old fashioned.

I hate to say it but I'd much rather watch two hogs have a slopfest that's hilarious and ends after two mins than two 100 pound females look like they're trying to swat flies out of the air for 15 minutes

There isn't even anyone at 145 so no way.Maybe someday,but at the same time i'd watch Gabi vs Cyborg.They should just entertain one off freak show fights here and there.Same with mens division,take the limit off for some freakshow fights only.Not sure what the commissions take on it is but I don't see a problem.I started watching the day UFC 1 came out,I still like freaskshow fights it's what I grew up watching.

Not even a fan but Cyborg would KO Gabi in under a round

Not even a fan but Cyborg would KO Gabi in under a round

Totally agree,but 145 has like 2 fighters anyway,it wouldn't exactly be taking away from anything.For one I want to see Gabi get ko'd and for two i'd like to see what Cyborg would weigh in an open weight fight.It's all a moot point since it'll never happen in the UFC.

Fuck no.

Then forget Cyborg.

It's difficult enough finding 145'ers, let alone a weight class higher.

Pretty much anyone that can make the weight has a good shot at fighting Cyborg.

In hind sight, it probably wasn't a good idea to do all those steroids and get that big.

They still haven't posted rankings for the women's 145 division since it was created. There's literally 3 women at most in it at a time. It's absurd.

Clearly you didnt watch the ultimate fighter tonight. After seeing those women, its obvious that they have a hard time finding featherweights.

The women's feather division doesn't even have any fighters yet.

The reality is, you don't find many fit women who walk over 165lbs. 145lbs is for the big girls. Maybe in the future if WMMA evolves, we can see a 155lbs WMMA division but definitely not now.

The only thing about WMMA that really makes me curious is why there aren't many big beefy women competing.
More specifically, big fat black women. The Awesome Kong types. Like the woman on that meme who goes "Aint nobody got time fo' dat".
Let's be real here. Not going to be politically correct. Black women have been known to sometimes have more testosterone than the average white male. Especially the asian men.
MMA is grapple centric. I'm surprised we don't see 100s of big thuggish black women in the ranks with their silly weaves and ghetto attitude.
I remember seeing plenty of black women in London who all looked like they could pass as heavyweight boxers. Some of them are pretty damn large.

Back