1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Does the UFC want Khabib-Ferguson to happen?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by legkicktko, Jan 27, 2020.

1. legkicktko Only the Strong Survive

Serious question....

They have been scheduled to fight four times. Both guys have pulled out twice. They have undergone 4 camps to face each other. I have a brilliant idea, let's schedule it for a fifth time and give them a 5 month camp to get injured. Why not have them fight on an 8 week camp like Colby-Usman? It would serve well to keep both guys fresh and away from overtraining injuries.

Unless of course, the UFC wants one of them to get injured so Conor step in and save the day. Of course, the flaw here is that for a Conor fight, they wouldn't have as much time to promote it. This seems like an iffy idea. Unless they have an idea to circumvent it. So if this is the case the UFC will make a push to keep Conor's name in the media over the next month or two before UFC 249. We may even expect Conor to act out and do something crazy in order to garner attention ahead of him stepping in.

2. Zebra Cheeks 2 Cheeks And A Soda Staff Member Senior Moderator

I’m pretty sure you don’t book a fight 4-5 times unless you want it to happen.

3. Sonny Qc 86,425 Likes

Champagne Room of a Stripclub, Eating Arse.
    They booked the fight 6 fckng time so.....

4. legkicktko Only the Strong Survive

This specific time. I’m sure they wanted it to happen before, and maybe they still do, but they sure aren’t going about it that way. They may want it to happen but also prefer Conor to fight them.

5. Zebra Cheeks 2 Cheeks And A Soda Staff Member Senior Moderator

I’m pretty sure if you do
    Conor vs Nate or masvidal
    Khabib vs tony

then
    Khabib vs Conor

You probably have the most financially fruitful year the ufc has ever seen

6. legkicktko Only the Strong Survive

Yeah, but there is a huge "if" here.

If Conor loses his next fight, it will be a tough sell to have him fight for the title again. Khabib and Conor both have to win for that rematch to even begin to make sense. Conor is riding high off of beating Cowboy, and if Ferguson pulls out now, the rematch is guaranteed. If Khabib pulls out, Conor gets a title shot against Tony and guaranteed the UFC makes a belt for that fight. He would have an opportunity to win the belt, and if he wins, a rematch with Khabib.

You could argue that the best case scenario for the UFC is Tony pulling out because it secures the rematch. Otherwise, they both (khabib and Conor) will have to win a difficult matchup in order to cash in.

Masvidal is definitely a money fight, but not on the level of the rematch. Also, any logical human should be skeptical of Conor's chances. That doesn't exactly play well in the long-game if he gets baptized.

7. Sweater of AV Gold Belt

No, Bald Goof wants his toddler to have a title shot.

8. ION CUTELABA Blue Belt

this is a big fight and should make some decent PPV numbers, if khabib wins the rematch vs mcgregor would make massive numbers but if cucuy wins we dont know how much mcgregor vs tony would make.

9. Dana's Moonface Silver Belt

10. Crom Cruach Brown Belt

When they made that fight Conor was retired.
    They want Conor to fight the winner of that fight so they make even more money.
    This is a non-thread.

11. Beherit Banned Banned

they want it to happen, if they don't do it, they know the UFC will be regarded as WWE.

12. Kenny Powerth Jean Belt (Jelt)

They are looking any reason for a Khabib Connor rematch, so no the UFC does not want this fight to happen.

13. swiftasthewind Banned Banned

they dont cuz conor will bring much much more money

anyway conor star level will decline if he would have to face tony or khabib in the future
    maybe he will go to ww or pillow boxing

14. mkess101 Not the hero he deserves, but the hero he needs

This is silly. Of course they want it to happen. It will sell, and they can set up Conor for the next title shot potentially.

They'll just make sure that if Conor does take a fight before then, it's at 170 again so if he loses they can say "well that was up a weight class from his natural one".

15. HHJ Fuckin' SHOOTOUT

They ain't gonna get it now anyway. Khabib has been told by GOATmanap,that the elders have convened and decided on 10 challengers and 100 million dollars.

16. mkess101 Not the hero he deserves, but the hero he needs

If Tony got hurt, you guys are really making some big assumptions that Khabib's camp is bluffing about Conor needing to earn his way back.

I'm not saying I know for sure that they'd decline it and force Dana to choose, but nor would I be conf8the other way either.

I doubt the UFC wants Tony to get injured only to have Khabib dig his heels in and give the middle finger to Conor and decline that fight. Then they've lost out on both Tony/Khabib (which WILL sell) AND Conor in the title fight.

If Khabib got injured I think they'd be okay with it because they'd make Tony vs Conor for the interim title. Then you either have Tony vs Khabib still a go after Ramadan or whenever, or you have the UFC with even more leverage to make Khabib accept the Conor fight in the fall.

17. chinarice Steel Belt

I don't think anyone inside the UFC brass is giving Tony a shot of winning this fight. All you have to do is listen to any interview with Dana White, proclaiming Khabib is facing Conor next..... like the TonyKhabib fight isn't even happening.

If Khabib pulls out, I guarantee he doesn't get stripped but if Tony pulls out, he probably has to win another 12 fights to get another shot knowing the UFC.

All the cards are stacked against Tony. If he wins, it's one of the greatest wins in MMA history.

18. Ufcmaster Banned Banned

You are one weird dude man. I used to remember you being a huge Khabib fan before you even knew Tony excisted lol
    What happened? What made you start hating Khabib?

Anyway Khabib Bless your bum soul :D

19. chinarice Steel Belt

That literally never happened. You just made that up. There is no point in the history of Sherdog's existence that I was a Khabib fan.

That makes you the weird one. Do you consider it normal behavior to just make up obvious lies about people?

20. Ufcmaster Banned Banned

Well you are now one of his biggest haters and that makes you a fan :D

Khabib Bless