Does the UFC replace the Octagon after every show?

PrideJitZoo

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The floor and cage must get pretty gross by the end of the show. Like for example after the Justine Kish incident did they just wipe it and call it good for the next show?

Im sure they just replace the cover. Maybe theres a water/moisture proof barrier between the foundation (wood) and the stretched canvas

They throw it into an industrial washer and dryer, sometimes with some Oxy-Clean spray if it got too stained. WME cutting costs, you know!

It’s actually disgusting.

There is blood residue that hasn’t been wiped away (that we can see), people come in the cage with their dirty shoes between fights and between rounds, and fighters roll in this germ infested environment with open cuts.

I would hope they would at least professionally clean the floor after each event.

they've only got like 3 octagons

i remember reading how they were panicking once for an Australia show and that they might have had no octagon as it wasn't there in time

some shit like that

I assume it's cheaper and faster to build a new cage everytime rather than storing and moving a bunch of fences and planks. The octagon doesn't even have a standard size, it can be smaller to fit smaller venues.

New one every show

Keeping US Steel in biz

I wonder if an octagon has ever collapsed in the middle of a fight

No, they transport the exact same octagon floor from city to city, no matter how dirty it is.

I assume it's cheaper and faster to build a new cage everytime rather than storing and moving a bunch of fences and planks. The octagon doesn't even have a standard size, it can be smaller to fit smaller venues.
I'm pretty sure, though not 100% positive, the cage itself is moved around. You can't just go buy coated fence that size, shape, and with that coating. You're probably right about the wood though. If I recall, there are two different octagon sizes depending on venue.

no, they move them around. theyve got like 2 big ones, 2 small ones that they shift from place to place. (although it woudlnt surprise me if they have a few extra's in storage, like one in Rio, one in Europe, on in Australia)

only the canvas gets replaced.

It’s actually disgusting.

There is blood residue that hasn’t been wiped away (that we can see), people come in the cage with their dirty shoes between fights and between rounds, and fighters roll in this germ infested environment with open cuts.

I would hope they would at least professionally clean the floor after each event.
It's a shitty piece of canvas, I'm pretty sure each event gets fresh canvas

Why y'all worried about this

They get rid of the canvas after every event. From what I know, usually they throw it away, but they gave Joe Lauzon the canvas after his bloody war with Jim Miller at UFC 155.

canvas_crop_exact.jpg

It most definitely does have a standard size. See here: http://www.ufc.ca/discover/sport/octagon

That said, there is a second size they use sometimes. But it's not like they're constantly changing the size.

Not sure if they build a new Octagon or transport it around, but they definitely change the canvas. I know there have been a few instances of fighters taking the canvas home with them after the show. A kinda cool but super gross memento.

I cant remember what show went into it, but they have a Warehouse in Las vegas that stores extra cages in all the several sizes.

They donate them to homeless shelters.

Yep if you look close enough you can still see Bigfoot's brain spatter from the first Cain fight.

Back