Does the UFC really not want Arlovski as champion?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by MachidaNo1Fan, Aug 18, 2015.

1. MachidaNo1Fan

MachidaNo1Fan Red Belt

Just rewatched Arlovski vs Browne and I'm still pissed about the fight announcements.... I'm honestly confused on the decision of match ups, and I know im not the only one. This is one of the only times that I would say that several matchups make 0 sense.

How does Arlovski go from finishing Browne, going on a 5 fight winning streak (one of the only streaks at HW currently), to fighting an old Veteran in Mir who is on a 2 fight winning streak against the most questionable chins at HW? Will they make him fight Shawn Jordan after he beats Mir?

Seeing how weak HW is now, why would they dilute it even more? Do they want Cain as champ (gets injured frequently) that badly? Arlovski has a very good chance at beating Werdum, I'm sad were not seeing it next.

Rothwell vs Mir???
    Arlovski vs Werdum 2??
    Cain vs Stipe??
    Hell, even Stipe vs Arlovski would make more sense.
    These are no brainers.
    /rant

2. vkram

vkram Brown Belt

He arguably lost to Brendan Schaub.

3. RJK

RJK Black Belt

The first AA vs Werdum fight was an embarrassment, and I say this as someone who enjoys both fighters.

4. MachidaNo1Fan

MachidaNo1Fan Red Belt

Cain got dominated on the feet by a grappler, then submitted in 3 rounds

5. FrontNakedChoke

FrontNakedChoke ____________________

Man I agree. I thought Arlovski was a lock for a title shot. Very disappointed. He had all the momentum needed. Can't believe the gave injury prone Cain a rematch that no one wants to see.

6. loisestrad

loisestrad Gold Belt Platinum Member

I would have prefered Arlovski getting Werdum rather than Cain.

However, I'm not one of those who has been overly impressed by him in his comeback. I wasn't too impressed by the Browne-fight either, to be honest. Arlovski looked vulnerable.

I think Cain beats Arlovski and is the better fighter of the two - BUT, as I said, from a fan point of view, entertainment point of view, I don't think the immediate rematch Cain - Werdum should have been made.

And obviously, that's not even considering the ridiculous amount of rematches Cain has had, while not being overly active.

7. Damon3388

Damon3388 Purple Belt

Don't understand why we're not getting Arlovski vs. Stipe for the #1 contender's spot.

8. Weidman

Weidman Still my booooy!

AA said multiple times himself that he does not want title shoot right now.. For some reason he want's more fights before title, weird but true.

9. loisestrad

loisestrad Gold Belt Platinum Member

That would be a good match up, and certainly reasonable in some ways. But where does it leave JDS? He beat Stipe after all. Why would Stipe get a contenders match, and not JDS?

10. That I3astard Cruelty

That I3astard Cruelty King of Oceania

Its Mir's time again. Its in his contract.

11. Gerald Ford

Gerald Ford Purple Belt

Mir vs Arlovski is a fight 8 years in the making, some of us want this fight to happen now rather than never.

12. benebox

benebox Brown Belt

I don't mind this match up, it just seems like the timing is a bit off. However Werdum Cain makes 0 sense. Can't they listen to the fans and cancel this fight like they did with Hendricks / Lawler? At least I can win some easy money on Werdum

13. irishmac22

irishmac22 Orange Belt

The heavyweights are thread bare. Couple interesting fights. But when you boil it down Cain and Werdum are the class of the division.

14. Damon3388

Damon3388 Purple Belt

JDS gets Overeem.

I forgot that JDS decision'ed Stipe late last year. Maybe both of those fights could have been made (JDS-Overeem, Arlovski-Stipe), with the implication that the two winners will face off for #1 contendership. That way, whoever ends up with #1 contendership will be on at least a three fight winning streak, with wins over some of the best the division has to offer, and would be fully deserving of a title shot.

They could have had it wrapped up by the end of the year, too, ready for a Heavyweight Championship match in April-May. This kind of activity could have gone a ways to making up for all the inactivity we've had around the title and the division due to Cain's absences over the last couple of years, too.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  15. The_Renaissance

The_Renaissance Sherdog Bunceweight Champion

Don't know. Maybe it's coz AA/Werdum 1 was fucking horrific and they're worried about it doing bad numbers?

If it's something personal, maybe they're still bitter about AA jumping ship to Affliction to fight, and get KO'D by, Fedor?

16. Melas Chasma

Melas Chasma Red Belt

Yes, they want Cain as a champ that badly. Just watch Cain vs Werdum postfight press if you want to see how pissed and disappointed Dana was that Cain had just lost. He had to force his compliments towards Werdum and it was really akward.

Should have guessed already then they were going to give Cain an instant rematch. Its that Mexican market they are after..

17. Hotei

Hotei Brown Belt

Yeah....the matchmaking is absurd even for the UHC standard.

18. Cooliox

Cooliox Steel Belt Platinum Member

no, not until they negotiate with Fedor. If Arlovski is champ they'd have to pay Fedor more.

19. machidafan99

machidafan99 Silver Belt

it would just prove that the Golden age fighters are much better than the current

I don't the HW division is progressing like some other classes have.

20. NoBiasJustMMA

NoBiasJustMMA Steel Belt

The UFC wants Cain as their champion.