Does the UFC need to coach its fighters on post fight interviews?

Post fight-in cage interviews should be banned. The fighters are either exhausted, concussed, both or a combination of a million other chemicals and emotions.
They should announce the winner, place on belts if needed and thats it. Do an after fight interview on the after show and make it a bigger thing.
That way the soundbytes can be better planned out and rehearsed.
Think about it, even if you rehearsed a simple soundbite like "i want to fight ____ next, its been a long time coming!" Or something equally as bland. You then have to go through a professional cage fight of 3-5 rounds and afterword regardless of your injuries or mental state you have to remember that soundbite AND say it/execute it in a non cringeworthy, fan appeasing way. Delivery means a lot regardless of what you say. I think the UFC would be better off getting some of the WWE guys as promo coaches or something. Just tell them to tone it down and not go over the top.
If all the interviews were better than the ufc and not as crazy as WWE, somewhere in the middle you get the Conors and Chael Sonnens of the world which is a good fit.
Promotion is part of the game. Fighters should remember that if they want to make more money than they do.

Fighter- I want to thank Jesus Christ, my lord and savior, for all your help.

Jesus- Hell yeah bro! You hear that Peter, I got a shout out from my guy! This PPV kicking a$$. Who needs more wine!

I think we can all agree that this past Saturday's card was one of the most entertaining of the year. Nearly every fight delivered.

Yet, as entertaining as the fights were, the post-fight interviews were all cringeworthy. The vast majority of fighters didn't call out any specific opponents to generate interest. Rather, virtually everyone just did the usual "I'll fight whoever the UFC gives me". (To be fair, I actually liked Sandhagen's post fight interview.)

If I recall correctly, there were only two specific callouts, and both were awful. Rani Yahya, who won the opening fight of the night, called for an immediate title shot with TJ Dillashaw. Paul Felder had to hold back laughter.

Similarly, Justin Gaethje said he would fight whoever, then half-called out Paul Felder.

Do these fighters not understand how important it is to create a soundbyte for future interest?

How about the interviewers stop asking that "who do you want next" question after Every. Single. Fight? If fighters want to throw out a name they can do it on their own initiative while the mic's in their face, and it would actually be interesting and have some heat. But having it posed like a cliche question in a job interview ("where do you see yourself in five years time blah blah blah") is BORRRRing.

Post fight-in cage interviews should be banned. The fighters are either exhausted, concussed, both or a combination of a million other chemicals and emotions.
They should announce the winner, place on belts if needed and thats it. Do an after fight interview on the after show and make it a bigger thing.
That way the soundbytes can be better planned out and rehearsed.
Think about it, even if you rehearsed a simple soundbite like "i want to fight ____ next, its been a long time coming!" Or something equally as bland. You then have to go through a professional cage fight of 3-5 rounds and afterword regardless of your injuries or mental state you have to remember that soundbite AND say it/execute it in a non cringeworthy, fan appeasing way. Delivery means a lot regardless of what you say. I think the UFC would be better off getting some of the WWE guys as promo coaches or something. Just tell them to tone it down and not go over the top.
If all the interviews were better than the ufc and not as crazy as WWE, somewhere in the middle you get the Conors and Chael Sonnens of the world which is a good fit.
Promotion is part of the game. Fighters should remember that if they want to make more money than they do.

Yeah maybe, but those post fight moments are great TV. Arguably as interesting as the fights for some people.

McGegor-60-G-baby.gif

Back