Does the UFC need an NXT equivalent for their Mid-Card Talent?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by ducktalesawoo, Aug 25, 2015.

1. ducktalesawoo

ducktalesawoo White Belt

So I was thinking, WSOF 22 Shields v Palhares was an amazing main event, there was something special about it.

But if Shields v Palhares was stuck in the middle of some random PPV card 2 years ago, no one would have cared. It would have lost the intrigue of the fight, it would just be another common fight before the main event.

The UFC should scrap UFC on FOX/Fight Night Cards and brand it as a new organization(still within the UFC) but with a different look and different rules. Put on fights with slight mismatches too. If a guy is #4 and #5, they don't necessarily have to fight each other. Silva/Diaz is a great example of the type of fights that don't necessarily make competitive sense, but would be interesting to see play out on live TV.

2. Bokelj

Bokelj Trigger central

We would lose all the fillers for the one good fight on a card.
    It's fine as it is, free and entertaining

3. ConradMcgilcuty

ConradMcgilcuty Purple Belt

That would be amazing. Champions get to fight in the ufc and would be well known to the hardcore fans. People knew who condit was before he came to the ufc.

4. jamielowndes

jamielowndes Silver Belt

Rebranding the Fox Sports 1 and Fight Pass cards in a way similar to PRIDE Bishkek might not be a bad idea.

NXT is a bad comparison though as you can't really have a developmental company in MMA.

5. rjmbrd

rjmbrd Gold Belt

That is the most rare example possible. A decade long champion who's been twice beaten by the current champion and is no longer considered for title contention, and a inactive fighter who is also out of the title picture in his division.

Two marquee names coming off unusually long periods of inactivity. World famous fighters who are not in the title hunt.

These are few and far between.

6. phatron

phatron Black Belt

What's NXT?

7. megamidget

megamidget Guest

Short answer, yes. Team up with a local promotion. Feed them some money for a budget, build up a couple of solid fighters that have potential. Keep a close eye on them and when the time comes ship them over to the UFC.

Long answer...Fuck it, I'll just plug my own shit since I wrote about something like this on my blog

http://armbarsmmaworld.blogspot.com/2014/12/every-goliath-has-david-how-to-compete.htmlo

8. thetruth2709

thetruth2709 Red Belt

and lets bring Triple H to build a developmental building where they can grow future mma fighters for the next generations, teach them how to cut a couple promos while we are at it... that would get some ratings shiiit
    [​IMG]

9. D.R.H.

D.R.H. If you haven't heard...I'm the best! Staff Member Senior Moderator

Have you heard of RFA?

10. SuperNerd

SuperNerd Season Mode.

"I dont get excited about fights, even really good ones, throw some gimmicks at them"