Does the UFC need an NXT equivalent for their Mid-Card Talent?

ducktalesawoo

White Belt
Reaction score
So I was thinking, WSOF 22 Shields v Palhares was an amazing main event, there was something special about it.

But if Shields v Palhares was stuck in the middle of some random PPV card 2 years ago, no one would have cared. It would have lost the intrigue of the fight, it would just be another common fight before the main event.

The UFC should scrap UFC on FOX/Fight Night Cards and brand it as a new organization(still within the UFC) but with a different look and different rules. Put on fights with slight mismatches too. If a guy is #4 and #5, they don't necessarily have to fight each other. Silva/Diaz is a great example of the type of fights that don't necessarily make competitive sense, but would be interesting to see play out on live TV.

We would lose all the fillers for the one good fight on a card.
It's fine as it is, free and entertaining

That would be amazing. Champions get to fight in the ufc and would be well known to the hardcore fans. People knew who condit was before he came to the ufc.

Rebranding the Fox Sports 1 and Fight Pass cards in a way similar to PRIDE Bishkek might not be a bad idea.

NXT is a bad comparison though as you can't really have a developmental company in MMA.

Silva/Diaz is a great example of the type of fights that don't necessarily make competitive sense, but would be interesting to see play out on live TV.

That is the most rare example possible. A decade long champion who's been twice beaten by the current champion and is no longer considered for title contention, and a inactive fighter who is also out of the title picture in his division.

Two marquee names coming off unusually long periods of inactivity. World famous fighters who are not in the title hunt.

These are few and far between.

Short answer, yes. Team up with a local promotion. Feed them some money for a budget, build up a couple of solid fighters that have potential. Keep a close eye on them and when the time comes ship them over to the UFC.

Long answer...Fuck it, I'll just plug my own shit since I wrote about something like this on my blog

This is something a former fighter or at least, someone who's been in the fight business long enough to recognize potential when he sees one, should do. Professional wrestling (or as WWE preferes to be called, sports entertainment) business juggernaut, WWE, have this problem solved with their development territory brand „NXT“. Firstly, they have their own scouts(seasoned pro wrestlers who can spot talent) who travel around the world and recruit untouched lumps of coal that they later on shape into the shinny diamonds that pro wrestling fans get to see on their tv's . Once the talent reaches the development brand they have former pro wrestlers that coach them and help develop up and coming „WWE superstars“. With that they have a steady influx of fresh, young superstars that are ready for when they get „the call“ to step up to the big show(pun intended) , which in this case are WWE's "Smackdown" and "Raw" brands. Now taking this concept and using it on mma would do wonders in terms of( using the same analogy as above) spotting lumps of coal that will become shinny diamonds later on in their careers, and sweeping them right under the competitions' nose. That way you secure yourself that once the fighter reaches full potential he just moves up to the „big leagues“ and continues to prove why he thinks he's the best while never actually leaving your company. That's not saying that famous and older fighters should be pushed aside. You need viewers and for the viewers to come you need recognizable faces, star power. A 3-1 20 year old rookie won't bring in the casual viewers no matter how hard you try. You also need someone that the young guys can fight in order to take a step up in competition and fame.
http://armbarsmmaworld.blogspot.com/2014/12/every-goliath-has-david-how-to-compete.htmlo

and lets bring Triple H to build a developmental building where they can grow future mma fighters for the next generations, teach them how to cut a couple promos while we are at it... that would get some ratings shiiit
JvJ9xDz.jpg

Have you heard of RFA?

"I dont get excited about fights, even really good ones, throw some gimmicks at them"

Back