Does the UFC being so dominant hurt or help the sport of MMA?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Unicorn Princes, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Unicorn Princes

Unicorn Princes Banned Banned

I personally feel like it hurts it. This may be a terrible example, but if you look at the WWF and the WCW and when they competed it gave the wrestlers at that time a lot more leverage and opportunities.

It's hard to believe that if you had two large organizations (think Pride VS UFC) competing against one another that you wouldn't see more super fights (reigning champions from both organizations), better treatment of fighters, and more career opportunities for fighters.

When the UFC did buy up WEC and Strikeforce a LOT of those fighters came over and created shockwaves in the UFC, so it's really hard to argue that the UFC having rivals actually hurts this sport?

But I think the sport would be so much more entertaining if the UFC had serious competition.

Anyone agree or disagree? Thoughts? Opinions?

2. HaterSlayer

HaterSlayer Black Belt

Splitting fighters up helps the fighters but not the fans. With the UFC being the dominant promotion we know who the best fighter in every weight class is. Look at boxing. The top two welterweights in the world have been pussy footing around fighting each other for 5 years.

The UFC fighters need to unionize to help their situation, but there being one major promotion is what is best for fans and the sport.

3. estranged

estranged Brown Belt

it doesn't hurt imo

4. Nuclear Fallout

Nuclear Fallout Blue Belt

When you don't have competition, you don't have to improve and can pay your employees less.

5. Megatronlee

Megatronlee Red Belt

Wcw vs wwf

6. vkram

vkram Brown Belt

It's better for the fans as we can see the top fighters compete against each other. If there was another major organisation, the best fighters would be split between them.

7. Jin Akutsu

Jin Akutsu Gengar Belt Platinum Member

8. Popswiss

Popswiss Purple Belt

It helps the consumers. Some of the best and biggest fights have come in the last 5 years. That isn't a coincidence. Is it great for fighters? No. Is it great for us? Yes. Will it eventually become great for fighters? Yes. Should fighters push for more? Always.

9. TheScorpionDude

TheScorpionDude Get over here! ~~~~~~~~~~~~==>

Having one superpower is never good. NEVER

10. kic**

kic** Orange Belt

its bad for everybody, including ufc owners

11. yekmurat

yekmurat Silver Belt

UFC is MMA the other orgs are just some fight clubs...

12. Big Tuppy Hole

Big Tuppy Hole Gold Belt

great for fans and the promoter, not for the fighters

13. Lead

Lead /Led/ Staff Member Senior Moderator

Depends who you are talking about. A lot of times there is a difference in interest between the fans and the fighters. Also, there often is a difference between short-term gains and long-term. Ultimately, I think UFC's dominance is great for the long run and will eventually be best for fighters. For now, I think you could make an argument they aren't always the best interest for certain fighters but there is no bargaining power.

For a fan, I'm always baffled at the posters on here dreaming of a multi-promotion sport, thinking it would be great. It makes me think they watch WWE and think I'd be like Raw and Smackdown where fighters could easily switch promotions when in reality, they who get stuck in one and either have to suffer long layoffs to get out or stay there and possibly avoid fighting a top contender elsewhere while also unable to take the better money at another promotion.

14. Lead

Lead /Led/ Staff Member Senior Moderator

I was going to be sarcastic and say you'll last long here but it seems you already have/

15. Rulio Gracie II

Rulio Gracie II Banned Banned

There was a point when MMA was all over TV. Besides the UFC, you had WEC, Strikeforce and of course Bellator and also Elite XC and what not. Now, it's basically just the UFC and Bellator with the occasional WSOF that doesn't really generate much interest. I remember n00bs, non fans and casual fans talking about watching the WEC and Urijah Faber, that's how he built his big fan base. I think there being a dominant organization is good, but there should still be more competition. It's nice that either the best fighters are mainly in one organization or promotions are willing to co-promote. Zuffa refuses to co-promote, though.

16. Sherm

Sherm Brown Belt

Good short term, bad long term.

Just in the past year or two we've gotten GSP-Diaz, Hendricks-Lawler 1 and 2, Jones-DC, and Pettis-Melendez. Great title fights that couldn't have happened without A) the merger with Strikeforce and (arguably) B) Strikeforce existing in the first place to channel money to the fighters and incubate that talent.

I don't know that all those guys would have stuck with the sport if they were getting paid the wages that Zuffa is likely to offer in the absence of a counter-bidder.

17. The Accuser

The Accuser Brown Belt

Competition always helps to increase qualitiy while keeping prices down. So yeah, the monopoly of the UFC is definitely hurting MMA. With Dana White as MMA's most prominent character who is supposed to take it seriously as a sport?

18. genecop

genecop Red Belt

The usefulness and helpfulness the UFC provides to MMA is always in motion....I think up to this recent point it has helped, I am concerned with the current direction and the damage they may cause in the future...

19. gravel

gravel Yellow Belt

The professional sports have an elite competition where all the best compete - NFL, NBA, AFL, UFC etc