does the shape of chin/jaw determine if you have a good chin???

Out of curiosity, why did I see "mental thing" mentioned in this? I wouldn't think it had anything to do with mental strength. If someone connects with a strong enough punch to the jaw, it doesn't matter how mentally strong someone is, their system is going offline for a bit. If there's some medical evidence somewhere that suggests it's related to mental strength, I'd be interested in reading up on it.

I always thought of the jaw as a force multiplier of the "whip" on the neck from getting punched...but I dunno...

I'd say, small jaw, big jaw, is less important than strong neck vs. weak neck...

Out of curiosity, why did I see "mental thing" mentioned in this? I wouldn't think it had anything to do with mental strength. If someone connects with a strong enough punch to the jaw, it doesn't matter how mentally strong someone is, their system is going offline for a bit. If there's some medical evidence somewhere that suggests it's related to mental strength, I'd be interested in reading up on it.

My bad there, that was more in relation to having a "good" chin or not, which I now realize is completely different than propensity to be knocked out.

Oh lord you are dense. The fences are shorter in softball because the majority of softball players are women, not because of the ball size. Think about golf, do women and men tee off at the same place? No. If you take a major league player, the distance which he hits a baseball/softball if all conditions are the same and he has the same bat speed on both swings won't be that much different. What if you taped a baseball to a ****l tee and nailed it to the ground, would it move when you hit it? What if you put a softball on the end of a spring, would it move further than the baseball taped onto the ****l pole?

1) You still haven't explained how the laws of physics are supposedly transcended when a clenched fist meets a human head as opposed to *any* two objects in the physical universe smashing into each other.

2) You still don't know shit about softball. In MENS ASA adult softball the maximum distance to the center field fence is 250 feet and the average is about 220.

Thanks for playing though.

I think it actually has more to do with your neck and shoulder strength, than your bone structure!
winner bingo

hey now, youre not allowed to call yourself a winner in threads, that has a negating effect, which therefore makes you the loser :)

Personally i dont think it does. The myth is that square jaws take punches better then sharp jaws and this thread can actually go onto race. Mexicans are known for their great jaws while asians are known for weaker jaws.

I don't think race or jaw shape has anything to do with your ability to take a punch. Personally, I have a pretty sharp jaw and I am Korean but I can take punches all day and I spend little time on the mat.

While this myth may be true and I could possibly be an exception is debatable but personally I think race and shape have nothing to do with your ability to take a punch.

And what about the strength of the jawbone itself- is it good to be more solid or weaker. Theoretically- if it cracks under the pressure of a strike, it will transmit less energy to the brain, but from other hand- broken jawbone is not something pleasant.

Shape, not necessarily. Thickness, absolutely. Bone mass absorbs and distribute shock/impact. Everything else being equal a thick jaw will do better than a thin one.

Complete myth. It's about internal blood vessels.

Back