does the shape of chin/jaw determine if you have a good chin???

Good damn question, I guess you could make an argument either way: Broader/blockier jaw, takes a better punch vs. smaller framed face, smaller chin, harder to put a glove on! (Cro-Cop)

I can tell you from experience I am thin in my face and have a smaller chin, I find it easier to make myself a smaller target and hide my chin behind my shoulder pretty easy. However, I dont have a great jaw, compared to some.

I think it actually has more to do with your neck and shoulder strength, than your bone structure!

I really don't think the external appearance of our jaw has much to do with your KO resistance.

I think it actually has more to do with your neck and shoulder strength, than your bone structure!
winner bingo

the simple answer is yes, it does. I'll try to explain the best i can.

First, you have to understand "nodules". they are basically small dents along your structural system where the nervous system gets closer to the skin becoming more sensitive, we call these "pressure points".

Take your finger and run it along your jawline and about halfway down your jaw, you will feel a small "dent", that's the nodule; and that's what boxers hit to get a knockout.

The more pronounce your jawline, (like Jay Leno), the larger the "nodule" which makes it easier for someone to hit it.

the simple answer is yes, it does. I'll try to explain the best i can.

First, you have to understand "nodules". they are basically small dents along your structural system where the nervous system gets closer to the skin becoming more sensitive, we call these "pressure points".

Take your finger and run it along your jawline and about halfway down your jaw, you will feel a small "dent", that's the nodule; and that's what boxers hit to get a knockout.

The more pronounce your jawline, (like Jay Leno), the larger the "nodule" which makes it easier for someone to hit it.

"Nodule" is a medical term. It means solid, raised bump on the skin and sure doesn't have a damn thing to do with jawbone structure or knockouts. Please provide a picture of the human jawbone with this previously unknown structure clearly identified.

You didn't learn about them in your Wing Chun class did you?

I think it's mostly a neck strength/mental thing as to whether or not you have a good chin or not, case in point, the Diaz brothers. Nick has a fairly large head and a great chin, nate has a fairly small head and a great chin. It's mental/neck strength.

You could argue genetics and neck strength have a lot to do with chin strength.

But if you look at the all the guys who are known for there chin's in MMA, none of them really have big chins compared to head size.

You could argue genetics and neck strength have a lot to do with chin strength.

But if you look at the all the guys who are known for there chin's in MMA, none of them really have big chins compared to head size.

Right....they have big heads AND big chins. The two typically go together.

This is basic fucking physics. Hit a baseball with a baseball bat...see ball fly a looooooong way. Hit a bowling ball with baseball bat...drop bat and cry like a bitch cuz your hands hurt and the ball didn't go anywhere.

Please advise if someone has somehow managed to get an exemption to the laws of physics for combat sports.

Big, thick, head and jaw isn't the only factor but it is definitely a factor.

Right....they have big heads AND big chins. The two typically go together.

This is basic fucking physics. Hit a baseball with a baseball bat...see ball fly a looooooong way. Hit a bowling ball with baseball bat...drop bat and cry like a bitch cuz your hands hurt and the ball didn't go anywhere.

Please advise if someone has somehow managed to get an exemption to the laws of physics for combat sports.

Big, thick, head and jaw isn't the only factor but it is definitely a factor.

You're head doesn't just sit there like an airborn ball does though, the neck controls its movement. It's a neck strength and mental thing. How else do you explain Nate Diaz having a great chin with a smallish head and James Thompson having arguably the worst chin despite his massive head?

Not to mention your example is far too exaggerated to be taken seriously. Do you realize how much heavier a bowling ball is than a baseball? A softball and baseball would be a far better comparison for comparing small/big heads, and there really isn't much difference in how far one can hit a softball as opposed to a baseball.

You're head doesn't just sit there like an airborn ball does though, the neck controls its movement. It's a neck strength and mental thing. How else do you explain Nate Diaz having a great chin with a smallish head and James Thompson having arguably the worst chin despite his massive head?

Not to mention your example is far too exaggerated to be taken seriously. Do you realize how much heavier a bowling ball is than a baseball? A softball and baseball would be a far better comparison for comparing small/big heads, and there really isn't much difference in how far one can hit a softball as opposed to a baseball.

I'll concede that the softball example is more accurate than the bowling ball. I was exaggerating to make a point about physics that although simple, seems lost on a lot of people.

That being said, you obviously know as much about baseball and softball as you do about knockouts. Average distance to center field in adult softball is about 225 feet for a home run to center field. Average distance to center field in adult baseball is about 420 feet for a home run to center. That baseball is flying almost twice as far as the softball.

So, we can teach Mr. Baseball to bob and weave, do neck exercises, keep hands up and chin down, but at the end of the day, he's still a muthafuggin' Baseball. Neck exercises will never turn him into a softball, much less a bowling ball.

^^^damn pretty good comeback to the other guys attempt at disproving u

I'll concede that the softball example is more accurate than the bowling ball. I was exaggerating to make a point about physics that although simple, seems lost on a lot of people.

That being said, you obviously know as much about baseball and softball as you do about knockouts. Average distance to center field in adult softball is about 225 feet for a home run to center field. Average distance to center field in adult baseball is about 420 feet for a home run to center. That baseball is flying almost twice as far as the softball.

So, we can teach Mr. Baseball to bob and weave, do neck exercises, keep hands up and chin down, but at the end of the day, he's still a muthafuggin' Baseball. Neck exercises will never turn him into a softball, much less a bowling ball.

Oh lord you are dense. The fences are shorter in softball because the majority of softball players are women, not because of the ball size. Think about golf, do women and men tee off at the same place? No. If you take a major league player, the distance which he hits a baseball/softball if all conditions are the same and he has the same bat speed on both swings won't be that much different. What if you taped a baseball to a ****l tee and nailed it to the ground, would it move when you hit it? What if you put a softball on the end of a spring, would it move further than the baseball taped onto the ****l pole?

A knockout is all about exerting a force on the brain stem. If the force exerted on the brain stem is high enough (lets say above some set threshold level) you are knocked out.

There are many things which can negate the force that reaches the brain stem, which typically results from a twisting of the neck. An increased area to distribute the force of the impact is one of these things. Another factor is the strength of the muscles in the neck and jaw. If these muscles help distribute the force of the impact away from the brain stem you're less likely to get knocked out.

Back