Does the Middleweight Division seem more Shallow than it used to be?

Adesanya, Romero, Gastelum, Whittaker, cannonier, Hermansson, Uriah hall, Brunson, Darren till

The middleweight division is absolutely stacked right now.
Romero is 1-3 in his last 4 and is 43. Aside from Cannonier there is no one really

Weidman, Rockhold, Jacare washing out. Mousasi, Lyoto leaving. Yeah, doesn't seem as deep.

Israel got in at a good time. Most of the better grapplers in the division are past their primes. I don’t believe he would be champ in the 2015/2016 UFC middleweight division.

Eh yes. And he's doing better than ever.
UFC-URIAH-HALL-MMA-KO-fight-GIF.gif

d8ff168bf8316cf08791eaca67194fce8ad06cca.gif

Really weird way he throws them strikes, if you watch closesly

Adesanya, Romero, Gastelum, Whittaker, cannonier, Hermansson, Uriah hall, Brunson, Darren till

Lost credibility when you used Hall, Brunson, and Till as evidence that MW is "absolutely stacked."

As for the question, yes, the division has thinned out. It peaked a few years back, but a number of those guys have simply gotten old. It's in a bit of a lull, so hopefully new prospects emerge.

HERMANSSON LOL
HALL LOL
BRUNSON LOL
TILL LOL

The was a short period, right about when Weidman became champ, that MW was a shark tank. Weidman, rockhold, jacare, romero, etc. But they've all started fading, and a new guard is coming up, but they're still too green. Weird time.

i don't think it's shallow, but i think it's extremely top heavy at this moment in time.

i do not really see any young and up and comers besides Jared Cannonier and he's not really an up and comer, more like a transplant from another weight class.

Yoel cleaned the division out then failed to get the belt.

Everybody is a LHW now lol.

But there are a lot of fun fighters: Izzy, Gas, Whittaker, Cannonier, Paulo motherfucking Costa, Hall, Romero... all of them come to bang.

Hypejob, aarp member, blown up WW, ruined by Romero wars, maybe prospect, exposed, lol Uriah, exposed, wannabe MW Conor.

Yes, I think the peak of the UFC MW division in terms of depth was between when Weidman became champion and when Bisping took the belt from Rockhold. A lot of top MWs have either left the division, the organization or have just declined and they haven't been replaced with as many new top fighters, guys like Hendo, Weidman, Rockhold, Jacare, Kennedy, Machida, Mousasi, and Bisping.

There are some new top level MWs but not as many as have left.

The was a short period, right about when Weidman became champ, that MW was a shark tank. Weidman, rockhold, jacare, romero, etc. But they've all started fading, and a new guard is coming up, but they're still too green. Weird time.

I agree, I think the peak of the MW division in terms of depth of talent was about when Weidman became champion till Bisping took the belt from Rockhold.

There's a changing of the guard happening, that's all. Weidman, Jacare, Rockhold etc. are all past their primes

Costa, Israel, Whittaker, Gastelum, Cannonier, that's a solid top 5
Extremely solid top 5. Wouldn't be surprised if the new top 5 beat the old guard of Weidman/Rockhold/Jacare more often than not.

I'm sitting here thinking who could be the next opponent for Bobby Knuckles in the future, but when I go through the list I realize:

1) Chris Weidman moved to LHW
2) Jacare moved up LHW
3) Santos moved up to LHW
4) Rockhold moved up to LHW
5) Bisping retired
6) Machida left the UFC
7) Mousasi left the UFC
8) Nick Diaz is M.I.A
9) Anderson Silva is not getting any younger
10) Not another Whittaker vs Romero rematch
11) Is Tim Boetsch still active?

The MW division seems kinda empty, no?
Yes .... and it's almost impossible to think in the year 2019, one of UFC s supposed crown jewel divisions is flat out anemic. Its almost impossible but here we are.

Its 2019 and Kelvin Gastelum is a top 5 middleweight in the UFC. This is no slight on Kelvin cause hed a very good fighter but it speaks volumes. Kelvin " should " be a top 3 welter who could move up and take some interesting fights at 185.

Back