does the falling/dropping practice work on concrete?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by freaky, Aug 10, 2015.

1. freaky

freaky Banned Banned

you know that one drill where you slap the mat with your palm before you land? Does that work on concrete or is it going to break my wrist?

2. HtomSirveaux

HtomSirveaux Blue Belt

There's a YouTube video of a guy doing break falls on concrete. I sure as shit wouldn't try it but it seems to work. It's got to be better than falling without them. And no you won't break your wrist. Wrist and arm injuries happen when you post, not from slapping

3. Blacklabel

Blacklabel Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

slap with your palm before you land? i was under the impression you slap the mat with you're whole arm as you land..

4. These Two Hands

These Two Hands Our revenge will be the laughter of our children

Before I came to training in BJJ I trained in a "self defense" oriented art and the majority of our training was done outdoors. I learnt ukemi first on hard dirt and then learnt to roll on gravel and concrete and other varied surfaces. Some people wouldn't like to try it but something I always suggest to other people who have difficulty rolling correctly is to slowly and gently try doing some forward rolls on a hard concrete surface as it communicates to you instantly where you need to correct. If you roll correctly there is no pain and should be very little noise.

So anyway, in answer to the original question what I found in my own experience using ukemi while being dropped and/or thrown on various hard surfaces at times was that if I am falling onto a hard surface such as concrete I would prefer to try and redirect the motion via a backwards roll ideally rather than breakfalling. I was taught not to slap the ground when falling on concrete if a breakfall is necessary but the rest remains pretty much the same; keeping the head from contacting the ground and distributing your impacting weight the same way across the same points of your body.

Hopefully that answer is of some assistance.

5. QingTian

QingTian Purple Belt

Slapping on concrete is going to suck for your hand, but it's still better than your hip taking the brunt.

Also what's more is that you toughen up as you take falls. It's not just learning the technique, which may or may not be enough on its own.

6. Calebz

Calebz Orange Belt

It totally works, I've fallen off of ladders, my bike, and because I've done that fucking break fall so many times my brain just did it automatically, got up and walked away just fine. It will hurt cause its you know... concrete, but in my experience of falling off of things its legit.

7. magick

magick Green Belt

Ukemi works.

You'll hear plenty of anecdotes from long-time judokas (not just dan-grade, mind you) who talk about how they automatically did a breakfall/rolled through a fall.

8. Thalion

Thalion Green Belt

9. Bayonet

Bayonet Blue Belt

I do ukemi on concrete every now and again to show off. It isn't comfortable, but if you have good ukemi, you'll be fine. Caveat; you have to practice ukemi ALL THE TIME. Every practice. Enough so that proper breakfall technique is programmed into your nervous system.

Check this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQrk192dkRI

10. SPSUDISPATCH

SPSUDISPATCH Purple Belt

Done it myself just to see if it works. Hurts like hell but no injuries or even bruises (from practice, haven't been thrown and don't plan to).

11. Higus

Higus Silver Belt

Add myself in that anecdote category. I've had a lot of falls and slips where my body just reacted and landed properly. Of course, you have to be practicing break falls for years before it becomes instinctual.

12. Rolf3000

Rolf3000 Purple Belt

While drunk this summer I managed to have a sprint contest and fucking ran of a ledge. It was only 12 feet, but I automatically, drunkenly, forward-rolled down that shit and came up on my feet with only a bruise on my knuckles.

Got more liquor, and had a great night. Next morning saw that ledge and got the nerves when it dawned on me how easily I could have fucked myself up.

Also went headfirst over the handlebar once(sober!) and forward-rolled out of it on concrete with no damage. Thank you Judo!

13. sixfifteen

sixfifteen White Belt

I was running through the house to answer the phone once. I was wearing socks and my feet went completely out from under me on a our tile floor. I automatically did a standard "arm slap" break fall, got up and got to the phone before it stopped ringing. If it weren't for ukemi, I would have broken an arm, wrist or something. I think at my age that's the most likely practical benefit of any martial arts training; being able to fall and not break a hip or have to push one of those Life Alert buttons.

14. Bayonet

Bayonet Blue Belt

Definitely. The chances that you'll need to use your Judo to fight off deadly ninja attackers is pretty low, the chance you'll need to use your Judo when you go tits up on a patch of ice is almost 100% for most people.

15. TheHereticJay

TheHereticJay I scoff at your belt rankings

Slipping on ice, with a backpack on, and a cup of coffee in one hand... do a breakfall. Don't feel the pain, don't spill the coffee, chip the laptop in the backpack. But hey..definitely could have been much worse.

One time on a bike something got stuck in the front spoke, went over the handlebars. Instinctively I front rolled instead of just landing face first like a jackass. Considerably less damage there.

16. Zankou

Zankou Muscle and Hate Staff Member Senior Moderator

It works to a degree, but judo ukemi is largely based on the principle that you won't be able to roll through because the other guy is gripped onto you and driving you into the mat. That's what you need to defend against.

For a normal fall on concrete, there's nobody as good as the parkour guys, and they have very sophisticated ways to take ridiculous falls without getting hurt. They always try to roll through, and convert downward momentum into forward momentum, rather than take a flat impact.

The basic principle of entering the roll is the same though, and that's the most important part.

17. FishinWithFredo

FishinWithFredo Purple Belt

18. TheeFaulted

TheeFaulted Inzer Belt

I was hoping that was going to end with the guy breaking something.