1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

does strength training help

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by scotty1444, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Flounder Purple Belt

How is doing one push up "working hard"??? How is squatting with 20lbs for 2 hours going to increase strength???? Its not about length of time. You can make great gains with singles or short sets if you work hard. Once again, you can work hard, and lift heavy, without utilizing poor form.

2. mmagic Yellow Belt

Agree to disagree perhaps. There is plenty of info in the strength forum to cover this topic.

3. Gsoares2*** Banned Banned

strenght is good.. but the problem i see.. Is alot of guys want to get "big" then you sacrifice flexibility for mass.. and you lose techincal ability..

Keep the weights low.. Squats, deadlifts, and Cleans with no weight.. just the bar.. are great. I pair the sets with hurdle walks, or sprints.

Also like stated before pull ups are great. Climbing rope, dragging the sled... there are alot of different options.

Take the movements you see in the sport of Grappling and than adapt weight training that you know to it.. The most important part of weight training is no different than BJJ.. Technique.. So have someone show you if you dont know, and dont assume your a black belt in squats because you saw it on tv once.

4. scotty1444 Orange Belt

cheers thanks i was sparring and the pull ups are helping except my friend got me in the armbar because i tried to use brute strength after that i was using the strength i gainied and using escape techqniques and he didnt get me one after that for so many attemps i felt so proud. so im going to llok in for techqnique more and then the strength with it to aid me. thanks for all your post guys, i apreciate it

5. scotty1444 Orange Belt

my friend does bjj and is talking me into doing it insted of sambo what do you think i should do. whats the most effective in your eyes or should i do both.

6. Bama Zulu Blue Belt

This one freaking diseal guy that comes in sometimes actually curled his way out of a purple belt's armbar. Impressive but seriously you know how much energry that took? Learning proper escapes > That shit

7. mmagic Yellow Belt

Guy I pound into the ground says what?

With just the bar? Whoo, boy...

8. scotty1444 Orange Belt

how did he curl out of an armbar ive been told that its like impossible

9. wOg Burien Top Team

The most important reason to do strength/resistance training isn't to overpower your opponent. It's to ward off injury, at least at the amateur level.

10. Waxwingslain oiseau rebelle

This is a very good point. Since starting strength training I get through jiu-jitsu sessions a whole lot easier.

11. Mark Limbaga Amateur Fighter

There's a strength and power forum here... you might wanna check it out

12. scotty1444 Orange Belt

Yeah my first post was just in grappling techqnique, oh and yeah can anyone recomend good grappling dvds like for escapes out of submissions especially or just an all round good one for escapes submissions and takedowns. cheers for all your post and help.

13. Mark Limbaga Amateur Fighter

gi or no gi?

14. scotty1444 Orange Belt

15. scotty1444 Orange Belt

does anyone know or have any idea of what is the style of escaping submissions so i can work on my technique is it sambo or bjj and when you reply could you mention any good DVDs that would have escapes in it being sambo or bjj. so when im not a club i can always be practising and studyin the moves