does strength training help

scotty1444

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Does strength training help ive been doing constant pull ups and ive been workin out all my other muscles so dnt worry. but sense ive been doing the pull ups when im training my training partners find it harder to get me in any type of arm lock or armbar. is there any other way of strengthen my arms so its even harder for my aponent and should i keep doing the pull ups.

full body workouts in the gym increase strength. all things being equal, two grapplers of equal abilities, the win goes to the stronger almost always.

Strength training helps in every sport grappling being no different. Pull ups are a great work out that works alot of different muscles...

I have to agree. Given all things equal a stronger fighter should win, but do not substitute strenght for technique.

thanks very much. i think if i do bjj and do a lot of strength work i will have lots of technique and strength. thanks very much u guys rock cheers. and what do u think of the roryce gracie and matt huges fight to come who do you think will win

i am looking forward to that one. I dont think Royce should be dismissed out of hand. IMHO he is far more dangerous on the ground (given time, and that will be the problem) than anyone Matt has had to deal with to date.

Pullups are great but you need to balance out your body. Pushups, dips, burpees, sprawls, etc would be great additions to you routine. An oly bar and some plates would be even better.

scotty1444 said:
is there any other way of strengthen my arms so its even harder for my aponent

Hard to say, but certainly there are other ways aside from traditional body weight / weight training to increase your strength for grappling. In particular, there is the issue of explosive power, which is what allows you to rock your opponent's base, execute takedowns/sweeps, etc. Explosive training is called plyometrics.

Note that if you only do body weight training, you are probably going to experience a plateau in results since there are a lot of restrictions on how you can vary your workout, so consider working in weight training as well.

Nah. Its a waste of time. Next time you feel like doing strength exercises, get a big bowl of chips, a beer
and watch some MMA tapes. That approach will make you a Master.

and also avoid most gym "machines' and isolation exercises. If you use weights, use free weights, and do exercises that utilize muslce groups, not individual muscles. ie squats, deadlifts, presses. Also, work HARD!! A great book is called Dinosaur Training. It can be found at www.ironmind.com

Flounder said:
and also avoid most gym "machines' and isolation exercises. If you use weights, use free weights, and do exercises that utilize muslce groups, not individual muscles. ie squats, deadlifts, presses. Also, work HARD!! A great book is called Dinosaur Training. It can be found at www.ironmind.com

Most of the studies I've seen in the last few years have suggested that machines are not completely inferior to free weights. The Big Three are definitely your principal lifts and workouts should be structured around them, but there is nothing wrong with working some machine stuff, especially if you are a beginner. If you only do bench presses, deadlifts, and squats, your workouts are gonna be pretty damn short probably.

Stay with free weights. I have a few friends who do nothing but lift - continually every day. Machines are GREAT if you want to body build - shitty if you want functional strength.

mmagic said:
How on earth are machines related to body building?

Machines isolate muscles that you work. So lets say that you have great biceps, great forearm muscles and great shoulder muscles, but not so hot triceps. You can use the tricep machine to isolate and work only that muscle until you get it to the point you want it (for body building competition, etc.)

This quality is also what makes it useless for full functional strength. When you lift an object, you use stabalizing and secondary muscles along with your primary muscles (bicep, pectoral, etc). When you use free weights, you use the muscles accompanying your primary muscles. This makes them stronger and develope equally. Machines isolate the primary muscle, but leaves the other muscles alone. Good for targeting weak primary muscles, but not much else.

Soulfly said:
Machines isolate muscles that you work. So lets say that you have great biceps, great forearm muscles and great shoulder muscles, but not so hot triceps. You can use the tricep machine to isolate and work only that muscle until you get it to the point you want it (for body building competition, etc.)

This quality is also what makes it useless for full functional strength. When you lift an object, you use stabalizing and secondary muscles along with your primary muscles (bicep, pectoral, etc). When you use free weights, you use the muscles accompanying your primary muscles. This makes them stronger and develope equally. Machines isolate the primary muscle, but leaves the other muscles alone. Good for targeting weak primary muscles, but not much else.

I agree that there are some machines whose purpose is to isolate muscles, but a lot of them simply mirror the free weight moves (a supine flyes machine, for instance) and are designed to force good form, not use fewer stabilizing muscles. It is kind of dumb to lump all of this type of equipment into one category.

mmagic said:
I agree that there are some machines whose purpose is to isolate muscles, but a lot of them simply mirror the free weight moves (a supine flyes machine, for instance) and are designed to force good form, not use fewer stabilizing muscles. It is kind of dumb to lump all of this type of equipment into one category.

They are good for teaching good form, but they are not suitable replacements for actual training weights if you want the kind of functional strength that the thread starter requires.

I am not "lumping them into a catagory." They isolate muscles and build them. I'm not saying they are useless. I am saying that you shouldn't use them if you want full functional strength.

it obviously does because stronger guys with equal skill fuck me up alot. sometimes even with less skill, the just power out of stuff.

but one thing is certain. everyone i've fought that only did weight lifting/body building, be it standing or on the ground, had no coordination and gave me little trouble.

if you lift, train alot as well.

thanks for all your replys you guys rock. and just curious when some1 nearly has you in a armbar and your arm is just bent and hyper extended i usaly lock my arm and tense and its harder for them to get me into it. would any1 know what muscles i should exercise for that so they cant get my arm hyper exented if its my shoulder muscle or tricep or bicep what ever. even no im fighting both there arms and hips it would make me last longer and i dont like giving up a fight. thanks very much for who posts back. im only obsesed wit arm strenght because the 1 way i dnt want to loose a fight is by an arm submission. and dont ask y i dnt no.

Back