Does Sonnen have a chance?

I think the only way is with aggression and spamming takedowns. Kinda like what Cain did to JDS. Since we haven't seen Jones getting pushed and out of his comfort zone, who knows what might happen.

But i still think its very close to impossible. But if it happens it would be the biggest upset of all time in MMA.

I'm sure a lot of people didn't think Cain had a chance against Juniour. Point being on any given night the more resiliant fighter can come out on top.

Now that we've seen Cain pretty much demolish JDS, which I think a safe majority of us never expected, has your opinion on Sonnen's chances against Jones changed?

I think it's safe to say that a majority also don't see Sonnen beating Jones. Now looking back at the first Sonnen-Silva fight I think we first point to Sonnen's wrestling as what allowed Sonnen to dominate Silva for 4.5 rounds. But it's clear now that the relentless pace and constant pressure really caught Silva off guard and was a deciding factor in Sonnen's success as well. I think a lot of people knew and feel this as well.

Now I'm really interested in seeing how Jones deals with this, and considering that Sonnen dominated 2.5 rounds of the second fight as well, before missing his spinning back fist, shows his effectiveness at implementing it. Now I'm really interested in seeing how Jones deals with this.. Now I think this next statement might be controversial but I feel that Sonnen might be Jones greatest challenge yet!

TL;DR-
Seeing the success of Cain's pressure and pace in this last fight has renewed my interest in the Sonnen-Jones fight. I think Sonnen provides the greatest threat to Jones yet and I'm excited to see how Jones deals with it.

Good post.

Don't forget Sonnen manhandled Anderson like a child for the first round of the second fight as well.

Anything can happen in MMA. This has proven many time over. Would it be surprising if Jone Jones annihilates Sonnen in 1-3 rounds? No. Would it be surprising if Sonnen repeats a 4.5 round domination then gets subbed? No. Would it be surprising if Sonnen completes a 5 round domination/control clinic and wins the title? Not for me, but apparently for some people.

Sonnen always brings it. Triangle weakness or not, the guy comes to fight. We can all pretend he does it for the paycheck, but if that were true he would just fold. He never does. He fights until the absolute end...and even after Anderson constantly cheated he didn't even protest. True class (something Anderson will never have).

Like Machida was actually able to pose a moderate threat with his striking, Chael will be able to pose a moderate threat with his elite wrestling and aggression. We all saw how the Machida fight ended, though.

I think Chael is as legitimate as any threat bones has had of late, and that still gives Chael virtually no chance of winning.

True. Machida is JJ's best win by far and he got it fair and square. Would love to see a rematch though...I think it actually goes 5 rounds.

Chael's chin, strength, and relentless pace, as well as wrestling to negate JJ's takedowns (what won him the Machida fight), is very, very interesting. Sonnen will never mentally fold either....it's a great matchup. Hell, Sonnen outstruck Anderson...he might be able to give JJ problems on the feet as well.

Like Machida was actually able to pose a moderate threat with his striking, Chael will be able to pose a moderate threat with his elite wrestling and aggression. We all saw how the Machida fight ended, though.

I think Chael is as legitimate as any threat bones has had of late, and that still gives Chael virtually no chance of winning.

Well said, sir.

I think that most posters are forgetting that Chael is moving up to fight at LHW for this fight. Sure, Chael, who is a HUGE MW looks good against smaller guys that he can rag doll and take down at will. That's great.

Chael at LHW? Um, he hasn't fought at that weight since 2006 - and that was a loss to Babalu.

Chael has about a .02% chance of beating the bigger, stronger and more well rounded Jon Jones.

Everyone has a "chance"...hell TS has a chance against Bones, I have a chance, everyone in this thread has a chance. Problem is chance no = win

Sonnen has a better chance of getting a HW title shot than beating Jones, so he has a chance but a insignificant one

No chance in hell. Jon Jones is gonna manhandle Sonnen like a child. Remember this is the same guy who got ragdolled by Demian Maia, and has been taken down by D-1 Anderson Silva and Michael Bisping. There's is literally nothing that Sonnen does that Jones can't do better. This matchup is a fucking joke.

Sonnen has a slim chance. Sonnen is going up against a fighter who better than him in almost every aspect. I might give Sonnen a slight edge in the wrestling, but with that being said I don't necessarily think Sonnen can get Jones down. I actually think Jones may have more success getting the fight to the ground. I think Jones is going to wipe the floor with Sonnen.

I'd sort of like to see it just for the sheer havoc it would cause on here, but I can't really see it. He'd have to pull off five perfect rounds because I don't think he could finish Jones. And I don't think this fight is going to happen anyway, think it's a tuf ratings stunt.

A part of me thinks Chael becoming chums with Jones is because hes exploiting a young and naive Jones and he's slowly extracting Jones wrestling tactics from him without Jones even realizing it. Think about it, this has all the classics written all over it. A White 38 year old Republican man taking advantage over a young Black man, sounds familiar right? Come fight time Sonnen will use this to his advantage and deliver a shocking victory. This is a job after all and Chael lost two against Silva, he was so close in the first fight, and made a stupid mistake the 2nd fight. After getting trashed by Silva he looked to LHW at what is perhaps his last chance for UFC Gold. Chael probably read some book like the Art Of War and is now applying that shit to Jones. Real talk.
I lol'd

If Sonnen didn't stand a chance, Jones and his camp wouldn't have dodged him earlier.

Sonnen talks a lot of smack, but his heavy wrestling game + granite chin is a threat to anyone.

Dude is a beast don't count him out.

^ That was the sorta stuff people were saying about Chael before his first fight with Anderson.. that everything Chael offered Silva had an answer for.. Don't be so quick to overlook this.

We didn't even see JDS BJJ skills he merely used his TDD the entire fight to get back up to his feet...

if people were saying chael couldn't grapple uck or wrestle fuck Anderson to a decision then they were being naive that was the only sliver of hope that he had there really is no comparable sliver of hope for him in against Jones in this fight

Back