Does Sonnen have a chance?

If I am not mistaken, Jones is also a good wrestler. What Sonnen has accomplished was to bring the wrestling nightmare to a non-wrestler (AS), much like Cain did last night. If the other fighter is also a wrestler, those guys have much less damage to make to the non-wrestler.

MMA is still about match-ups and types of fighter, transitive properties do not hold in MMA, only in performance sports.

I think he has a decent chance. He has to do what Rashad wouldn't attempt, and that is push the pace and get inside on him... I just don't know if he can finish takedowns against Jones, but he'll have to. In the clinch he could easily get tripped or taken down by Jones, so the power double would have to be pretty effective.

We will see, but I think he has as good a chance as anyone, which isn't much.

Only chance is if he can push the pace and Bones gas.

Now that we've seen Cain pretty much demolish JDS, which I think a safe majority of us never expected, has your opinion on Sonnen's chances against Jones changed?

A lot of people did expect Cain to beat JDS.

But here's the difference, Cain did not beat JDS just by pressure. Also by a significant wrestling advantage. Sonnen has no wrestling advantage vs Jones, so I think it's safe to say Sonnen can't do to Jones what Cain did to JDS. Jones has much better wrestling than Sonnen.

Plus, Jones is better everywhere IMO.

Last edited:
Chael has a great chance. People are just underestimating Chael.

Yes I do I don't think its a great chance but if he can disrupt jbs's rhythm and not let him fight at a distance then he can cause an upset. Setting up a super fight with Silva straight after (okay I'm reaching now).

Reasonable chance, explain how he would or could win, anything can happen in a fight but its hard to fathom Cheal beating jones when he really has no advantages in the fight maybe outside of his doubles.

The problem is that Cheals strongest skill is also Jones strongest skill which is wrestling and that would be his only line of offense, but lets hope Cheal puts on a good fight.
Fair enough, but what I was trying to say was that before the first AS-Sonnen fight most people were saying that there's no way Sonnen can take AS down because AS's TDD is so good. In a similar way people see JBJ and think there's no way Sonnen can take him down because JBJ's wrestling is so good. Do you see the resemblance?

I'm not saying that he'll win, just that we shouldn't overlook him.

We haven't seen JBJ's cardio tested, nor his wrestling... two things Sonnen is known for. It'll be interesting.

Slim chance but still a chance. With his furious attempts to get to the ground he might be able to test JBJs ability to maintain cardio while defending those long legs from gettin wrapped up. I doubt Chael can keep him down, but that all depends on how succesful his trips and takedowns are. Hard to say though, noone else has outgrappled Jones yet.

A lot of people did expect Cain to beat JDS.

But here's the difference, Cain did not beat JDS just by pressure. Also by a significant wrestling advantage. Sonnen has no wrestling advantage vs Jones, so I think it's safe to say Sonnen can't do to Jones what Cain did to JDS. Jones has much better wrestling than Sonnen.

Plus, Jones is better everywhere IMO.

I also think jones is better everywhere but the issue in the Cain fight was that JDS did not know how to adjust in fight and his fight IQ seems to be a bit of an issue.

Jones has a very high fight IQ and controls the pace and showed that he knows how to make adjustments in fights to cater to his strengths. We saw it in the Rashad and Machida fight where jones made adjustments in both fights whereas JDS just does not do that.

JDS fight is a quandry though, JDS looked helpless against Cain. His fight IQ and entire game he may need to work on. He just could not make any in fight adjustments that catered to his strengths and seemed to get battered.

What do you think of JDS's fight IQ by the way, it might just be that he lacks championship experience.

Last edited:
Did everyone forget how Maia threw this man around? If Sonnen tries to wrestle with Jones, which he will, he will get tossed.

Jones by Triangle. Chael will take him down, I'm sure, but Jones has very long limbs. I see Jones going rubber guard into triangle by the 4th. Chael always falls into them and loses.

Fair enough, but what I was trying to say was that before the first AS-Sonnen fight most people were saying that there's no way Sonnen can take AS down because AS's TDD is so good. In a similar way people see JBJ and think there's no way Sonnen can take him down because JBJ's wrestling is so good. Do you see the resemblance?

I'm not saying that he'll win, just that we shouldn't overlook him.

We haven't seen JBJ's cardio tested, nor his wrestling... two things Sonnen is known for. It'll be interesting.

It should be a fun fight if Cheal comes correct and pushes the envelope, its just how hard does Jones push back is the issue in terms of wrestling and cardio.

Sonnen has very good wrestling but again its hard for me to see him doing that for 5 round against jones and Cheal is not known for his GNP.

Anything can happen in a fight

But, mind you that Jones has the most subs at LHW and that adds to a very difficult game plan for Cheal which is to wrestle jones down and keep him there and not get outstruck, submitted and or out wrestled for five rounds without Jones making adjustments.

Cheal getting one takedown will be enough for me, so I am only really looking forward to see if he can takedown jones, winning is another debate.

Jones is faster and has a greater arsenal. Sonnen has zero chance. This is a fight for the PPV $$$$$ on the UFC side. Sonnen goes from one weight class championship fight and he got destroyed. Then all of a sudden he jumps weight and gets a shot at the championship. Without a fight after his jump. I have nothing against Sonnen, but he doesn

He is going to get absolutely pwned

Cain was a small underdog.
Sonnen is one of the biggest underdogs in UFC history. I don't see how you can compare the two.

Like Machida was actually able to pose a moderate threat with his striking, Chael will be able to pose a moderate threat with his elite wrestling and aggression. We all saw how the Machida fight ended, though.

I think Chael is as legitimate as any threat bones has had of late, and that still gives Chael virtually no chance of winning.

Back