Does someone holding the door for you create an obligation to speed up?

I just pretend I'm not observant of the people around me and don't hold the door

I walk fast and have long legs so I usually am far enough ahead of people I have plausible deniability not to hold the door.

If someone holds the door for me I will often speed up, but often because it's a polite old person and I figure they gonna die soon so I shouldn't burn their time.

I only hold the door if you're behind me or 3 to 4 steps away.

If people don't say thanks, i always say you're welcome. That gets them to say thank you.

Ungrateful mofo's

The non thank you saying scum bags really grind my gears , almost as much as the non responders when you acknowledge someone in passing.

You've gotta be some kind of stunted miserable social retard to ignore the person 5 ft away from you That's acknowledging your apparently worthless existence by having the audacity nod and say hi.

I hate this situation so much. I intentionally go out of my way by taking breaks at weird times, or using doors no one else uses to just completely avoid this bullshit.

Makes me feel like a damn idiot when I have to go from enjoying a nice walk to a short jog because someone decides to hold it for me. I appreciate the thought tho

Depends I guess,

In any situation I would hold the door open for a woman no matter how many steps away they are. They are smaller and weaker with less muscle mass within their arms, so it is just the polite thing to do.

If it were a man,

I would stick within the five steps away radius.. unless it looks like you are each going to reach the door at the same time.

In that case, speed up and open the door first. It shows class, and they have to say thank you.. and it is a plus if they have a woman with them, because they have to show respect and say thank you. And if they don't, they end up looking like a douche in front of their girl...

If a person feels obligated to speed up, then they were too far away and the door hold wasn't necessary...

The non thank you saying scum bags really grind my gears , almost as much as the non responders when you acknowledge someone in passing.

You've gotta be some kind of stunted miserable social retard to ignore the person 5 ft away from you That's acknowledging your apparently worthless existence by having the audacity nod and say hi.

Bro, i recently started jogging at the track again after a long layoff due to shoulder problems... I say good morning to people as i pass them on the track... and nothing, absolutely nothing (some say it back of course). I'm not an idiot, i see and make sure they're not wearing earbuds or whatever. They're just assholes.

There are some people that hold the door open for me but they are actually in my way so I can't get through the door. Some people get the hint when I just stop and star at them/. A couple of times I had to tell them "You are in the way dude." I mean I was kind of laughing when I said it. It's not a big deal, but they are actually slowing me down and making opening a door way harder than it needs to be

I actually run into this pretty often. I take the train into the city everyday for work and there is giant set stairs that go over the track. People will hold the door when im 50% of the way up and i would just wave them off and say thank you. Im not trying to run stairs at the start of my commute. Noone was ever offended including myself when the roles were reversed on a few occasions.

I always pick up the pace when someone holds the door or a car stops for me.

Yes and it really irritates when someone has no business holding the door for me 20 yards away and forces me to hurry up

No obligation, but it's just polite. Are you really that put out by putting a little pep in your step for three seconds?

This post by TS is the equivalent of "When some one says 'thank you' why should I say 'your welcome'? I didn't ask them to say thank you, what the fuck do they expect from me?"

The way to keep the universe net positive in this situation is that I have an obligation to speed up, but the person I hold the door for does not.

I place the karmic proceeds of this generosity into an asshole savings account, and one day, out of nowhere, after I have saved up enough good social credit, when I am in a bad mood, I will fucking bean you with a door and pretend it was an accident.

There are some things in life not worth percolating over. Lol

"zone of door holding" lol... do you read the shit you write man.... have common sense and common courtesy man... if somebody is being a nice human being to hold the door...well then be a nice human being who speeds up right....sure you dont have any obligations, you can complicate matter with your stupid "zone of door holding" and decide to be an asshole...sure its your choice...but then dont come on the internet complaining people giving you a response because you decide to create your stupid term "zone of door holding" and be an asshole in life...you want to be an asshole well be an asshole but then own it and dont be a little bitch about it

I always speed up, but don't hold the door if the intended recipient is too far away.

Back