1. Guest, The MS Paint Shoop Thread v5 is up! Red Block» | Blue Block»

Does someone holding the door for you create an obligation to speed up?

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Cherry Brigand, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Cherry Brigand We're gonna put some heat on 'em.

Walking into the office, and there was a young lady who appeared to be in a hurry. She got to the door well before me and I would say I was clearly outside the 'hold the door for the next person' courtesy zone as I was still 15' or so away. She stops and holds the door. I continued at my same pace (rather than speed up) over the remaining distance while she remained holding the door. I told her thank you, but she was clearly put out by the delay.

My thought is I was clearly outside the zone of door holding, and even if I hadn't been, you choosing to be courteous does not create in me an obligation to hurry no more than someone looking down at their cell phone as they walk creates in me an obligation not to run into them if they veer into my walking lane. Thoughts?

2. MMA since 1993 ____________ Banned

I only hold the door if you're behind me or 3 to 4 steps away.

If people don't say thanks, i always say you're welcome. That gets them to say thank you.

Ungrateful mofo's

3. loisestrad Gold Belt Platinum Member

You chose to not speed up in order to make a post about it on Sherdog.

4. revoltub Gold Card

I usually go by the 2 full seconds rule when cobsidering holding a door open for someone. Gotta find the medium of not being the creepy guy holding the door forever and not being the douche that lets the door slam in someone's face.

If the stars align you can do the "smack" where you perfectly time hitting the door just enough to nudge in the person right behind you.

5. badascan Red Belt Platinum Member

No, if someone voluntarily does something for you, you have no obligation to accommodate. You didn't ask them to do the thing they're doing and they shouldnt expect you to do anything because of it. It is courteous though...

It's a pet peeve of mine, people doing things for me then holding it against me. Like holding a door and expecting me to hurry up... Don't hold the fucking door!

6. Yeah Brown Belt

You struggle to run in high heels ? Chop chop

7. mjmj Red Belt

Obligation? No.

But what sort of dick DOESN'T speed up? The morals of younger people have gone in the shitter. It's funny that some of the same people bitching about how the world is fucked up, are the people causing those problems. TS needs a punch to the face just for asking this stupid question.

8. 90 50 Gold Belt

Right I always do, it’s a habit I doubt I could NOT do it.

Ducking kids these days

<{cruzshake}>

9. Clippy Do I amaze you?

10. A.A. Riggs sweet ... sweet meat!

Only to power up my hadouken.

11. LukeSkyrocker Purple Belt

I fucking HATE door holding. Fuck off!

12. MMA since 1993 ____________ Banned

Yes!!!!

I remember i was at starbucks one time and they were doing the pay it forward thing (i had no idea they did that). So the person in front of me had paid for our coffee it seems. As i hand the lady my debit card she says the person in front of you paid for your stuff. To which i respond "well, that's awesome thanks". And i drove off like normal. She definitely made a face and said have a nice day (but in an irritated tone).

Did i ask the person in front to pay for my coffee?... no i didn't. Why should i feel bad for breaking the pay it forward chain.

13. Dober4 Banned Banned

Was getting coffee at the gas station the other day and some random guy gave me his free coffee card as I was paying. Probably wanted my sweet ass but anyway I was about to pay for his coffee but then I thought that would make him giving me the free coffee card pointless right?

I just said thanks man and left.

14. Cherry Brigand We're gonna put some heat on 'em.

What are you on about?

15. dormammu Banned Banned

Try slowing down next time for shits and giggles, but don't break eye contact

16. Jack Reacheround Never Go Black

Exactly. The world has become this “what can I get away with without technically being an asshole?” competition.

Not being obligated to do something does not mean one should not do it.

17. kahiljabroni Black Belt

If you were raised right you'll return the kind gesture by speeding up

18. Thai Otoshi Gold Belt

I always wave off the door hold, saying it's not necessary. I like to walk at a leisure pace and I refuse to break stride.

But that's only if I've messed up my usual go to move, which is to greatly slow down before they even look behind them to hold it open for me. By that point, I'm already WELL behind and the thought of holding open the door for me doesn't even cross their minds.

It's a silly social convention that helps no one who isn't a child, elderly, or holding a bunch of shit in their hands.

19. Fuzzybabyducks Hot girl that’s into ketchup. she/her pricechopper

its annoying when u are further away and people hold the door for u.. i usually tell them to just go but yeah i feel like i have to rush...

20. n...not crazy Silver Belt

No obligation, but I always speed up anyways. I enjoy little social niceties, especially with women. I suppose with guys you do have to play it a little more cool though.