Does size matter in MMA submissions?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by HairyPotter, Oct 10, 2013.

1. HairyPotter

HairyPotter White Belt

2. Turtlepawah

Turtlepawah Yellow Belt

Interesting! While I, along with many others, have always been of the opinion that smaller fighters are the better, most technical grapplers, it is nice to see it supported by empirical data!
    If I am allowed to speculate some, the lack of triangles in fly- and heavy weight divisions might reflect the fact that the triangle is a submission best suited people with long legs and active guards. Fly weights probably have relativley short leggs in comparison to their bigger training partners, which makes the submission hard for them to apply in sparring even for those with solid guards. The heavy weights might have longer legs (though often pretty stocky and not very limble), but spend considerable less time on their backs when training than smaller fighters, which results in less developed guard games.

3. HairyPotter

HairyPotter White Belt

Personally I agree :D I know a lot of guys with short legs that struggle to finish the triangle choke. What is interesting about the Flyweights is that their official reach is often about the same or sometimes longer than their height. That suggests to me that they have shorter legs but not necessarily shorter frames. That might explain the difficulty in finishing triangles. It is a little speculative though. We would need more empirical data to be able to be more cetain. :D