Does Rory Macdonald ever return to the UFC?

Papa Doc

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I was thinking about this and feel he might eventually come back. He can marketed well as the former UFC WW contender, Bellator champion and is still relatively young at 31. I can see him playing out his contract with PFL and possibly returning for late career title run in the UFC.

I honestly think Rory has more self respect than to let that play out

Depends on the longevity of his career. How much longer does he want to compete. If he wraps up the PFL tournament as the champ then why not make the trek back to the UFC and try to claim the one belt he would have left to win.

Peaked early, seems to be regressing or at least, not improving. I think he indicated that his heart was not in it anymore....I have not looked for a source and my memory is not great.

He's fighting to quick & easy paychecks at this moment.

seems really unlikely to me.

looks to be in decline (as you would expect given how many fights he has been in) and has openly talked about not wanting to fight at times

Why?

He'd never be champ and has the chance to make more money outside the UFC

If he wins PFL this year, he'll probably come back again next year, cash out and call it a day.

If he loses PFL this year, he'll probably call it a day. His body is too compromised for long-term fighting at the highest level.

He’s mentally shot and has been since the Lawler fight.

Why would he come back? He would get paid less, and never touch gold.

He's moving down in competition not up. Maybe he'll end up fighting in that backyard MMA thing if he loses in the PFL.

Back