Does "punch a black belt in the face, they become a brown belt" apply to wrestlers 2?

Often wrestlers seem to go into autopilot when they are hit. Start shooting like crazy and then just smother once on top. I think it is just worse for BJJ guys because they are already on bottom when people say this saying.

The drop in skill is more for wrestlers when they get hit than bjjers.

I've punched BJJ blackbelts in the face in sparring before and they just seem to stay blackbelts... Its the strangest thing. Suddenly I'm on the mat tapping.

To me it's more like when a wrestler that fancies his striking gets hit hard he instantly turns back into a wrestler.

Such a stupid fucking saying

No shit you cant apply BJJ as well, you must use a lot of technique and quick thinking to snatch up a sub so if you are getting punched in the fucking head (wheere you lose equilibrium and shit) of course you cant use technique as well

who said tha shit anyway?

TS just went back to Sherdog White Belt by this besmirchment

Punch anyone in the face while they are doing something and they are gonna have trouble.

Its definitely different. Punch a wrestler (hard) on the chin and usually he defaults back to his most basic, instinctual attack ie a double leg takedown. Think of Melvin vs Joe Stevenson, Tommy Speer vs Rumble Johnson, and a few other examples. At least as often though, this ends up with the wrestler completing the TD, gettin on top, and regaining his/her wits a bit.

Like all generalizations (see what I did there:), this one is not applicable all the time.

I don't think this statement was ever offered as an immutable law of the universe. It's more of a way for a striker to realize that he has a chance against some guy with crazy grappling credentials (provided the striker at least has some grappling defense). Grappling only is a different ballgame than MMA.

You can't of course make blanket statements like that and its one of the key reasons why grappling credentials are often less important than many believe them to be.

Back