Does "punch a black belt in the face, they become a brown belt" apply to wrestlers 2?

I guess the same thing applies in reverse for striking. Pick up a black belt in karate and dump him on back and he's a white belt?
You take anyone out of there comfort zone they'll won't do well. It makes sense really.

It's black to blue. Wrestlers often seen to try and grab a single or clinch up when they've been rocked. So yeah I think it's the same. When in trouble you really on instincts and muscle memory.

I do believe it, but it doesn't apply to every BJJ guy. It doesn't apply to a guy like Anderson Silva, but you see quite a few black belts get subbed by lower belts, or even guys who don't train BJJ. Jon Jones, for example, subbed Machida and Belfort, now, although I don't think the point of this thread applies to the Machida sub as he got dropped then caught, but I think it does for the americana on Vitor. If Jon and Vitor had a straight-up BJJ match, would Jon've subbed him like that? Probably not. I'm sure I saw Jon say he doesn't actually train BJJ at all.

Jones trains in submission wrestling which is essentially BJJ these days (inb4angrycaccguys).

He is trained by a BJJ black belt in submissions

It's a funny saying, but I don't think it's always true. "Always" being the key word.

Wrestling lends itself better to still being very instinctual even when you just got hit so hard you don't know what planet you're on, but you can still shoot a double on the ref thinking he's your opponent

Of course

Its just a derivative of "everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face".

Last edited:
Such a stupid fucking saying

No shit you cant apply BJJ as well, you must use a lot of technique and quick thinking to snatch up a sub so if you are getting punched in the fucking head (wheere you lose equilibrium and shit) of course you cant use technique as well

who said tha shit anyway?

Sounds like you're saying it's pretty insightful.

see fujita vs Eldar Kurtanidze

anyway,as always it will depend on the man being hit

Such a stupid fucking saying

No shit you cant apply BJJ as well, you must use a lot of technique and quick thinking to snatch up a sub so if you are getting punched in the fucking head (wheere you lose equilibrium and shit) of course you cant use technique as well

who said tha shit anyway?

Renzo gracie, hespect

i find it's mostly people who have no groundgame that say that. and when they do, i like to ask them what happens when a blackbelt punches a whitebelt in the face.

it's a saying used by strikers to convince themselves they need no groundgame, and it's a stupid saying. this is mma. you need to be well-rounded or you're going to lose most of the time.

I think so, where you can see a wrester losing on the feet so their shots become farther out and more desperate

i find it's mostly people who have no groundgame that say that. and when they do, i like to ask them what happens when a blackbelt punches a whitebelt in the face.

it's a saying used by strikers to convince themselves they need no groundgame, and it's a stupid saying. this is mma. you need to be well-rounded or you're going to lose most of the time.

I get what you are saying but renzo kinda meant the opposite, his opponent could be the most decorated bjj expert in the world but in a fight renzo felt he could negate that by punching them in the face

I've never competed in MMA but I train and come from a wrestling background, and I'd definitely argue that getting hit makes you a lower tier wrestler. I did some MMA sparring with one of the pro fighters where I train and I couldn't take him down as he kept getting solid shots in and eventually took me down a couple times.

No they become wet soggy blankets.

of course it does; people who aren't use to getting hit in the face don't typically react well to it.

Not quite, wrestling is a very rough sport and wacking your opponent with forearms, to the head while pretending to go for head control or other dirty concussive tactics like that are commonplace in high level wrestling. BJJ is for surfers and beach boys, wrestling is for farm kids. Wrestling creates a tougher man though that's not to say that bjj is wimpy, it's just a gentler art. Designed for the weak, while wrestling is and always has been about being dominant and tougher, and taking licks.

Back