Does Pencak Silat work in MMA?

Pencak Silat

White Belt
Reaction score
As you all know, I am Indonesian and we practice pencak silat ich is a variate of Muay Thai, minus stances (we go on partially bent knee and sharp circular angles to neutralize our opponents whereas Thai is like kickboxing. Plus, there is use of weapons, daggers in particular but there is a component called akra, which utilizes the concept of fighting while moving backwards to disorient the opponent. Practctioners are thought to throw right hooks while moving 3 foot backwards in one motion. Do you think Pencak Silat can work in MMA as an effective art?

I'm sure you could utilize elements of Silat, you could probably catch people off guard with techniques they aren't used to. It is MMA though, so you will have to learn lots of other stuff, too.

You can only take a part of it. But yeah every martial art has aspects that would work in mma.

Jack slack's article on Jon Jones explains that his oblique kicks and kicks to the knee are well known savate techniques.

Even though these are lesser known skills they have their place.

Since there are a lot of indonesians in Holland, Pencak silat was used a lot in early Dutch mma. Not without succes, but at the same time disappeared when muay thai fighters started to learn bjj.

Mmmm pancakes

5514414.jpg

We know it's you, Yayan Ruhian. No need to hide your name. We all loved you in The Raid: Redemption.

Seriously though...this is like the Segal/Akido threads. There are unquestionably elements of nearly all of the major martial arts that can be incorporated into MMA fighting. Can someone win a UFC fight with Pencak Silat alone? Probably not, baring a lucky punch/kick early. Plenty of people have been knocked out by Karate-style kicks, and we all know it's an "incomplete" art - at least from an MMA fighting perspective. There's no reason a Pencak Silat fighter couldn't do the same.

tl;dr? A great Pencak Silat fighter could transition to MMA, but couldn't do it on PS skills alone. [Even you, Yayan!]

In the second UFC there was a Spanish man who praticed pencak silat and was defeated in the first match by Remco Pardoel.

There was one Silat fighter in the UFC way back at UFC 2

ALBERTO CERRA LEON

Lost to Remco Pardoel.

Unfortunately, I know of no other examples of Silat in MMA.

I have practiced Muay thai and Silat in the past. As for Silat I believe that there are several uses that are applicable in mma if used effectively(ie in transitions and the use of certain angles). However I believe that Muay thai is more useful when it comes to stand up fighting. If used together it may be tricky to deal with.

I would think the issue is that it incorporates weapons fighting at least as much as non weapons fighting so when it comes to application to MMA, it has a huge disadvantage over boxing,wrestling, muay thai, karate and so on because at most half of it can ever be applicable even if all its hand to hand techniques could work.

My old Kru cross-trained in Silat. He was Mark Dellagrotte's longtime trainer, so I wouldn't be surprised if Mark trained some and filtered it down to his guys like Marcus Davis and Kenny Florian.

Just checked, he did train it with my old Kru Guy Chase.

Edit: sauce
http://sityodtong.com/about/kru-mark/

Just as important as what techniques are in a martial art is how it's trained and practiced. Do Silat fighters ever spar with contact and compete full contact?

In the second UFC there was a Spanish man who praticed pencak silat and was defeated in the first match by Remco Pardoel.

Remco probably outweighed the guy by 80/90 pounds. After doing some pretty cool/exotic technique to block a punch, the Silat guy initiated a clinch with REmco and spent the rest of the fight on the ground. He lasted about 13-14 minutes, though, which was a lot better than most guys did against JJ fighters back then (poor Orlando Weit).

I think the Silat guy had a female manager yelling out instructions the entire fight. Pretty bizzare. The good 'ol days of JoeSonDo, Harold Howard, Big John Hess, etc. It was so fun and new and weird back then...It's not the same now, even when they bring in someone like CM Punk or Dada 5000.

Back