Does Par Terre has any practical use on Real Fighting?

Charlitos1988

Purple Belt
Reaction score
More than "core strength, balance, position"

Originally I tought it was a stupid sport oriented technique...

but when thinking more calmly about it I realize that this wrestling technique maybe use to have it's place on ancient Europe fights ... I mean maybe it was use to escape, when going to the ground (you landing on under) to avoid face punches you turn your back and then try to stand up with both arms and legs; this can be done when the upper attacker doesn't know rear naked chokes ...

so maybe it was the logic of the existence of PAR TERRE.

You mean the referees position/turtle? Yes, it allows you to cover and builds a base you can use to stand up or reverse.

Par Terre is a little different than the referees position..Par Terre is the freestyle/greco version of the referees/turtle position..in Par Terre, the emphasis is more on not exposing your back than it is escaping and reversing..so in answer to your question..no, it is nothing more than a sport-specific technique..

Par Terre is a little different than the referees position..Par Terre is the freestyle/greco version of the referees/turtle position..in Par Terre, the emphasis is more on not exposing your back than it is escaping and reversing..so in answer to your question..no, it is nothing more than a sport-specific technique..

what a pity....

but when thinking more calmly about it I realize that this wrestling technique maybe use to have it's place on ancient Europe fights
Greco-roman has nothing to do with ancient Europe; it was created by a Frenchman in the 19th century. The name is just marketing.

You still have all of your arm locks, arm bars, cradles, lifts/back arches which happen all of the time in fights. From bottom, not much.

Depends on the positioning of the bottom man (flat, low / mid /high defensive), and control of the top man (over-under, waistlock, crossface, chop tight waist, rear crotch, half nelson, chicken wing, + various leg rides that might combine).

Back