Does Nick Quitting Tarnish The Diaz Bros Image ?

He didn't want to be in there to begin with and it's only his toughness that let him even last to the 3rd

Yes he quit, but Diaz knew he made a mistake taking the fight. His body language was all off

It does NOT!

Any sensible person would weigh in age/inactivity in that discussion

Those huge factors played the biggest roles here so NO it does not tarnish it.

When guys hit 35 or so the testosterone starts to go down. You can still be a badass but it’s much harder.

You could see all week that Nick lost that fire. Weight change. Plus I believe the rumors he got KO’d in camp.

Yes. That and not cutting weight severely tarnished whatever credibility the diaz brothers had left

Ref should have said stand up not do u want to quit lmfaoooo Diaz just didn’t care seem like

It never matters once you are totally shot.

In the toughness department the Diaz brothers were always slightly behind people like Edgar, Big Nog, Diego, Bisping, Gaethje, Lytle and Wanderlei

They belong in the category of super tough but still capable of being mentaly broken in a fight like GSP, Rory, Leben, Rampage and Griffin

They're mentally tougher than guys like Conor, BJ, Overeem that sometimes crumble horribly when facing adversity

And far tougher than guys like Woodley, Chael, Rumble and Vitor that always crumble when facing adversity

I think he did quit, but it didn’t make me think any less of him. He’d already proven himself over years of fearless, courageous fighting. It’s pretty obvious his heart was no longer in it and, after showing everyone more than many thought he had left, he finally reached the point where he decided he was done. He had a great career nevertheless, even though part of it was taken from by the ridiculous weed suspension.

Of course not. That just shows how tough he was before.

Leben did the same thing. Quit on his stool.

these are warriors. they don't have to prove themselves to no one

no because Diaz fans are delusional

he basically quit during the GSP fight and tried to get himself DQ'd but they'll ignore that too

they are basically seen as badass tough guys with no quit in them; kill or be killed types who always give it 100% <{JustBleed}>

that's the image their fans have in their minds when thinking about the Diaz bros legacy in MMA.<{natewhut}><209Bitch>

does Nick quitting last night affect that perception of them at all? <{titihmm}>
Might be worse than Penn. At least he made weight. Nate didn't even look in shape he clearly was hurtin for money.

Seems like Nick has some mental demons. He simply should not have been in there in the first place. He was not physically or mentally ready. He should never fight again and the UFC should be ashamed of themselves if they try to push him to fight again

He was on the back foot from the off, he did what he had to do to gives the fans something to cheer about but in the end he didn't want to be there.

Would he have quit if it was just a 3 rounder?

Mmm, sorta. It doesn't tarnish his career up until 2015, but it makes this "comeback" look lame and sorta fraudulent.
Man those interviews he was giving before the fight were hard to listen too. It was clear he doesn’t want to fight anymore. Not sure why he came back. Money I guess

There are two sides to this.

One, absolutely no reason to tarnish or deminish Nick Diaz nor his history based on a single fight, especially one he took after 6 years away from the sport. He is 38, hasn't fought in 6 years, went up against a legendary game fighter and effectively realized after taking some damage that he didn't have it in him anymore.

On the other hand, imagine if it was GSP who had taken the layoff and then came back to fight Bisping and quit on his butt after taking a few heavy shots with Bisping backing off telling GSP to get off his butt? He wasn't KO'd, taken some cumulative damage but nothing serious and he just didn't want to get up and fight?

This is the dichomoty between most fighters and the Diaz brothers in the eyes of the fans; the Diaz's have a legendary following and it's almost as if they can do no wrong and being unbiased, it's earned. But any fighter that quits on the stool or on the floor after being dropped a single time has to hurt their legacy at least a little. To me, personally, I just accepted it like Diaz did; Diaz doesn't have it in him anymore and there's no shame in that. He used to a be a dog, fight to the death and he's no longer that same fighter and that's normal for most people...just never thought it would be Nick

Last edited:
Man those interviews he was giving before the fight were hard to listen too. It was clear he doesn’t want to fight anymore. Not sure why he came back. Money I guess
Yes and no. That has always been Nick and Nate. They have never once said they enjoy fighting, they have always maintained they only fight because they are good at it...but don't forget that Nick also said he felt he should have been fighting Kamaru Usman instead of Robbie. So he did want to fight, he just wanted the champion

Back