Does Muay Thai have a clear GOAT?

Readybodisready

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just wondering. Boxing and MMA have it pretty set with 1 or 2 names always popping up in these type of discussions. Probably because their records are so well recorded and researchable unlike Nak Muay's.

I know Dekkers is seen as the greatest Farang. I'm looking into Coban's career and he's pretty amazing too, is he the one? Discuss.

From scouring the internet for that some time ago I found that the top 2 names are Samart and Dieselnoi. And of course correct me if I am wrong.

From scouring the internet for that some time ago I found that the top 2 names are Samart and Dieselnoi. And of course correct me if I am wrong.

Funny thing is Dieselnoi was forced to retire at 24 because there was none to challenge him

Buakaw was pretty damn good, probably not the GOAT but definitely top 10

Apidej
Samart
Deiselnoi
Saenchai
Sakmongkol

In no particular order.

Buakaw was pretty damn good, probably not the GOAT but definitely top 10

Buakaw is nowhere near top 10. He'd definitely make it onto the list for kickboxing, but he was only moderately successful in pure muay thai. If he hadn't gone over to K1, he'd probably be just another obscure name.

A lot of the Thais, including Saenchai, say Samart was the best. Dieselnoi would be tied with him, or at the very least, close runner-up.

Buakaw is nowhere near top 10. He'd definitely make it onto the list for kickboxing, but he was only moderately successful in pure muay thai. If he hadn't gone over to K1, he'd probably be just another obscure name.

A lot of the Thais, including Saenchai, say Samart was the best. Dieselnoi would be tied with him, or at the very least, close runner-up.

Looking at a highlight of his (Samart) he has a good boxing - head and footwork etc. Not a lot of pure MT finishes though, correct me if I'm wrong. So he excelled because he had better boxing than the competition?

Funny thing is Dieselnoi was forced to retire at 24 because there was none to challenge him

Didnt Sagat beat Dieselnoi twice? Cant find any videos of their bout.

Looking at a highlight of his (Samart) he has a good boxing - head and footwork etc. Not a lot of pure MT finishes though, correct me if I'm wrong. So he excelled because he had better boxing than the competition?

He could do it all. His teeps were amazing as well.

Not real clear GOATs
Apidej Sit Hirun - most devastating kicks in muay thai
Put Lorlek - amazing techniques, small fighters who would go up in weight to beat the
best in his era
Samart Payakaroon - beating everyone left and right after clear out his division
go on to win world boxing title
Saenchai - he has been dominating for two decades never lost in equal weight
since he enter his prime; has to give up his weight in almost every single of his fight

and many more

Jomhod Kiatadisak and Orono Wor Petchpun used to have a good dominance on his gold years

Nakamskoi and Jogsanan are another 2 cool names who was big in the past

There were lots of great fighters in the golden era, there are people who claim that Hippy and Boonlai were GOATs, but Samart's name is thrown out there more often.

Not a clear goat. Everything before the 1970's is pretty much a blur. Who knows if there were some badasses in the 40's and 50's that were better than the guys of the last 30 years. Even in Thailand I'm not sure a ton is known about the early days.

From what we can know my vote goes to Saenchai. Ability, longevity and quality of opposition are all 10/10. He beat Thongchai Tor Silachai when he was 15! 20 years ago!
You can take three of the best golden era fighters and combine their time as top level fighters, and that's how long Saenchai has been top level. And it's not like he's eroded and just hanging on for some paydays. He's still fucking great. I doubt anyone in the history of Muay Thai has had a run like him. Some guys stay around for 20 years, but not at the top the whole time like Saenchai.

Yep, I actually didn't think of that, there were GOAT "contenders" who did what Saenchai is doing now - for only like 4 years. Legends like Boonlai and Chatchai had a very short prime.

Ya I'm with Coka, your really can't deny Saenchai's greatness and longevity. If I had to pick 1 guy it's Saenchai.

Samart,Dieselnoi,Apidej,Koa Sai,Nokweed Davy,Somrak,Saenchai to name but a few

Back