Does MMA Make You Stupid?

Just bleed for gods sake. Its a combat sport were brains collapse for our entertaining,everything in excess aint good about absorving punishment.

MMA and combat sports in general are much more equipped to deal with brain injuries than other sports. For instance, if an MMA fighter gets knocked out the AC can issue him/her a medical suspension. This medical suspension can include terms like:

-No sparring of any kind for 1 month.
-No strike sparring for 2 months.

This will not be a serious problem for the combat sports athlete, because they often have many months to recover between events.

However, think about the same issue from the NFL perspective. If Tom Brady gets a concussion, there is immense pressure to get him back on the field immediately. Every week that goes by and he doesn't play the Patriot's season gets flushed down the toilet.

The NFL and NHL have a much bigger problem with brain trauma than combat sports does imo.

Several have. He feels it was kickboxing and I would agree - that is where most of the damage came from.

Yes, and a complete mismanagement of his career. Gary was being signed to fights because he was a name, but he didn't have any real kickboxing skills. He'd get KO'd, walk away with 10k, blow the money, and sign another fight the next month.

I thought this thread was going to be just about watching it, in which case I would answer yes with myself as empirical evidence

Likewise.. Would have been my favourite thread title ever, had that been the case.

IDK, but talking to people on sherdog definitely does. Most people here think they know how the business should be ran, how (little) fighters should be paid, how fighters should fight, who's overrated, and on top of all that, they are economists. Now, go look at the 15 or so pictures displayed on the front page for "facebook likes", and you'll see the absolute dumbass people that post here. I mean, 85% fit that meme with the unemployed guy with a fur coat, a flat-bill, and an Anthony Pettis goatee with sideburns that come to a point. It's fucking sad and hilarious at the same time.

I thought this thread was going to be just about watching it, in which case I would answer yes with myself as empirical evidence

I can confirm after I started watching MMA I have gradually gotten more stupid.

IDK, but talking to people on sherdog definitely does. Most people here think they know how the business should be ran, how (little) fighters should be paid, how fighters should fight, who's overrated, and on top of all that, they are economists. Now, go look at the 15 or so pictures displayed on the front page for "facebook likes", and you'll see the absolute dumbass people that post here. I mean, 85% fit that meme with the unemployed guy with a fur coat, a flat-bill, and an Anthony Pettis goatee with sideburns that come to a point. It's fucking sad and hilarious at the same time.
Yeah i agree some people think they know it all.

Any activity where your head hits something isn't going to be good for you.

MMA makes you brave these guys are modern day warriors respect.

the grappling aspect of MMA cuts down on a LOT of the possibility of brain injury. sports like football and boxing are more likely to accumulate brain damage than mma.

Just look at the Diaz bros, not that smart to begin with, but they are high volume punchers who love to strike a lot without defense = getting dumb.
Their speech is already slurred and the weed doesnt help.

^^^
In certain parts of society slurred speach is the epitome of cool.

I always wondered if judo is actually better or worse? I know breakfalls yada yada, but rarely does my brain get rattled as badly in kickboxing as it does in judo.

Just look at the Diaz bros, not that smart to begin with, but they are high volume punchers who love to strike a lot without defense = getting dumb.
Their speech is already slurred and the weed doesnt help.

Yeah because cannabis slows your speech. Nate's always had the exact same level of speech impediment/lisp he's got going on and Nick's speech doesn't even sound remotely slurred.

Even if it was true, the UFC contract clearly states that fighting is "at your own risk" and can result in long term injuries and even death.

Its part of the trade off. Fame and fortune now, suffering later. Ask Ozzy how this works.

I don't think it makes you stupid. Not all fighters are that bright to begin with though. Even Jones, who likes to talk about how smart he is, apparently thinks Toronto is a country.

Several have. He feels it was kickboxing and I would agree - that is where most of the damage came from.

Of course you can't know for sure which shots did the damage, but he was knocked out like 24 times in his MMA career, which couldn't have helped at all.

Back