Does mixing whey protein with hot water affect it's performance?

Ice That Jaw

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
So I bought the GNC amplified wheybolic extreme 60 stuff and on the label it says to mix cold water.

Its the chocolate flavor and I know it would taste great as a hot cocoa like drink. Does hot water inactivate any of the components? I mean our bodies are 97 degrees but hot water is alot hotter than that.

So I bought the GNC amplified wheybolic extreme 60 stuff and on the label it says to mix cold water.

Its the chocolate flavor and I know it would taste great as a hot cocoa like drink. Does hot water inactivate any of the components? I mean our bodies are 97 degrees but hot water is alot hotter than that.

It might, but I wouldn't worry about it that much.

Do you worry about lowering the protein content when you cook meat?

It might, but I wouldn't worry about it that much.

Do you worry about lowering the protein content when you cook meat?

Well thats what I figured but this stuff has alot of extra enzymes and stuff in it. It tastes fine with cold water but it would taste fantastic with hot water. It literally is as sweet as cocoa mix.

Protein can become denatured in a really hot medium, but if anything, that's probably a good thing.

In short, doesn't matter.

i don't think it is a very big deal as long as it isn't scalding hot/boiling water. medium warm water will not make a huge difference.

I've looked into this a bit actually,

I don't like the heating meat argument, because heating meat DOES denurture it, and whey powder is MUCH more sensative then meat is..

So I probably wouldn't use boiling water to make a mug of hot cocoa out of your chocolate whey, but my take on this is that your body is going to warm it to 98.6 degrees no matter what.

Alot of protein is just powdered bovine milk any ways, and cows have a body temp of between 101-103 degrees.

So I figure that water in the 80-110 degree range is probably ideal. Will it make any reasonable difference? probably not.

But if you're using warmer water, I would consume the shake immediately after mixing. Bacteria would reproduce much quicker in a room temp. protein shake then a cold shake, so leaving a pre-mixed shake in your gym bag for 5-6 hours is something I probably wouldn't do.

I've looked into this a bit actually,

I don't like the heating meat argument, because heating meat DOES denurture it, and whey powder is MUCH more sensative then meat is.

But I say again, denaturing is not a bad thing. It might even be a GOOD thing.

But I say again, denaturing is not a bad thing. It might even be a GOOD thing.

Heating milk degrades it's natural beneficial amino acids, and certain lactic acids that are beneficial to digestion and imuno-health

I suppose since it's milk whey, though it has already been super heated.

"Degrading" and "denaturing" are two different things. Which one do you mean to be talking about?

Last edited:
I've been using whey in my coffee instead of a bit of cream and sugar. I made a thread on it a while ago. The consensus was that it did not matter, as Xtrainer is saying in here.

Dr. lonnie lowery wrote on this subject a year or so ago. from what i remember off the top of my head, only a few things were effected by heat. i want to say lactoferrin, but dont quote me on that. it was a few biologically active fractions of milk that were destroyed, but nothing worth worrying about. though you shouldn't cook your egg yolks based on a lot of research i've seen.

care to elaborate on why i should be cooking the yolks? my thinking is based on some papers Ive read linking cooked cholesterol to vascular disease bio markers being increased. i always try to find counter points to my findings, but was never made aware of a good reason to cook the yolk.

^For the record, I don't have a problem with raw milk itself. However, the raw milk folk do smear the dairy industry something horrible. Some criticism of the dairy industry is justified, but a lot of it is just self-serving propaganda. Same can be said for almost all "boutique foods," if I may call them that.

Oh, I totally agree. I didn't mean to come off like a dick, sorry if that's how it sounded. When I'm bulking I drink a quart of regular ol' whole milk from the grocery store per day. But for my regular daily consumption, all my dairy is raw and unpasteurized.

Protein can become denatured in a really hot medium, but if anything, that's probably a good thing.

In short, doesn't matter.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but the protien being denatured means it is more easily absorbed by the body or your body can't absorb it as easily?

I'd like to hear more about the cooked vs. raw egg yolks.

I like my eggs any way imaginable, whether it be runny fried eggs, fully cooked scrambled, or hard boiled. Never have I thought it really mattered, and surely it isn't a huge difference regardless.

I would just like to know what that difference might be.

Back