Does Max's loss devalue the FW belt?

Not really. He has beaten everyone put in front of him at FW.

And the Poirier fight was pretty close.

Hard to devalue a belt with zero legitmacy. Holloway won that fake belt against post Conor Aldo for fucks sake lol. Now he loses a title fight for a fake LW belt to another FW, who got absolutely demolished by McGregor.

No.

MMA is at the point where size, strength and power come in to play when skill sets are about equal.

yes, DP is a former FW.

Max has holes.

? Poirier has been fighting at LW since he lost to McGregor 4 years ago and has had time to build muscle for the weight class. Max clearly didn't make any changes, he simply didn't cut as much weight.

Max fought at FW 4 months ago.

Give Max a year or two and a bunch of can fights at 155 like Poirier had and allow him time to build up muscle and get comfortable at 155 and he would be a killer there too. Max was Poirier's 11th lightweight fight in the UFC.

Its Holloways own fault for not putting on some quality mass in order to prepare for the 155 division. Cant think about 145 when going up is what cost him
Holloway didn’t have enough time to put on quality mass for this fight lol

Hell no. Dustin is such an underrated fighter. I’ve been saying he was a future champ for like 5 years now. Add to that that it was such an epic fight. Love both guys and can’t wait to see them fight again

In your opinion, does Max's loss to Dustin devalue the FW belt?

Personally, I don't think it does, but I'd like to hear the opinions of sherbros.

nope cause fighters do lose.

that liek saying when conor lost what that do to the fw belt 2.

No. Now if Max lost to a BW fighter, that would devalue the FW belt.

The 145 title was always worth less than the 155 belt, so nothing changed

Hard to devalue a belt with zero legitmacy. Holloway won that fake belt against post Conor Aldo for fucks sake lol. Now he loses a title fight for a fake LW belt to another FW, who got absolutely demolished by McGregor.
Dude, get off Conor's nuts. That fight was 6 years ago.

Holloway has accomplished a lot more than Conor at this point.

Nope, and I hope he doesn’t think so.

The 145 title was always worth less than the 155 belt, so nothing changed

I'd argue that when Aldo beat Frankie the first time, the FW belt had more esteem than the LW belt.

In your opinion, does Max's loss to Dustin devalue the FW belt?

Personally, I don't think it does, but I'd like to hear the opinions of sherbros.
Nope.
IMO
Max clearly miscalculated his chances to get a belt at LW but he didn’t do bad in there.
He had a dogfight with the IT champ and made him go for TDs in order to get that W warranted.

At FW he still put two royal beatings on Aldo and is clearly at least one step above most of the top 3 in there.

nah, just proved that max isn't as effective at 155 because he doesn't carry his power up there, and he's already a volume puncher at 145.

people will shit on me for this, but i still believe holloway is the better fighter than poirier and will be regarded as the better fighter in the long run, poirier was bigger and hits hard and max doesn't, i mean poirier gets hurt in a bunch of his fights and max never really " hurt " him, stung him a couple times but poirier never got that hurt.

if max wants a future at 155 he's gonna have to put on some muscle or something, or find a way to put a lil more on his punches. don't get me wrong max can still break most of the top 10 at LW, but the power just isn't there right now.
Max would need more than muscle to beat top LWs.

This fight showed that Max's striking defense is sorely lacking. That was the most obvious difference between the two:

Dustin used a mix of Muay Thai elbow guard and what looked like a modified boxing "cross guard" to block punches.

Max used his face to block punches.

Max switches stances, stays light on his feet and throws volume, using a lot of energy, but somewhat evenly dispersing his energy, rather than conserving and exploding with power. (He can get away with this at FW in part because he is bigger than most FWs and he has a durable chin... so far. )

The opposite of that style/strategy would be the Yoel Romero approach: conserve energy, wait for the right moment to plant feet and EXPLODE with maximum power.

Max, in my opinion, would need to adjust his style, conserving energy, especially defensively (getting punched in the face takes energy away, as does constantly bouncing and jumping around) and also planting his feet a little more to dig in on his shots.

I don't think he should throw out his style, or has worked for him at 145, but unless he makes some of these tweaks LWs will be able to block or walk through his punches then unload power shots to hurt him with heavier shots like Dustin did.

Hell no. All champs would defintely lose at very least once if they moved up and fought the top 3-4 of a division above theirs. There is a reason for weight classes.

Nah if max defends again, Max’s FW win streak will continue. So how is the FW belt devalued?

No... As long as he schedules a defense as soon as possible for FW.

EDIT* He lost at LW versus another high ranked opponent only because of size not his quality as a fighter. Almost all fighters have some weakness that will be exploited at a different weight division.

Back