Does Max's loss devalue the FW belt?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by fortheo, Apr 15, 2019 at 2:12 PM.

1. L.T.

L.T. Black Belt Platinum Member

AV bet 30 days? That I made over 130k on Saturday? Deal? Don't Puss out now KK...

2. BEATDOWNS

BEATDOWNS Silver Belt Platinum Member

No not at all he is still the best FW atm and may still be for a long time. He moved up a class and lost a decision its not like he got sparked out!

3. fortheo

fortheo Steel Belt

I'm good, thanks. I don't play those games. Take care man.

4. L.T.

L.T. Black Belt Platinum Member

Coward.Talks shit afraid to AV bet. Is wil KK scurred of wil AV bet..? God... you are Pathetic.

5. paynebringer

paynebringer Black Beast Silverback Ice Cold Steel Belt...♠♠♠

Not in any way different weightclass in which he lasted all rounds, his loss means as much as Dustin's win to FW's.

HI SCOTT NEWMAN likes this.
  6. HI SCOTT NEWMAN

HI SCOTT NEWMAN Steel Belt Cat ✔

I don't think so, Holloway is still a great fighter despite getting beat by Poirier twice. He should go back down now and keep defending the belt, I will look at him the same.

Some guys just have anothers number, seems that way with Holloway and Poirier. I still think Holloway can beat some guys at LW if he wants to fight there again. Maybe not guys like Khabib or Tony, but some others he could beat I feel

7. Bmurray

Bmurray Black Belt

I think it does.
    In the old days perhaps not, but after Conor, GSP, DC and Cejudo it doesn't look good.
    Plus Max is tall for 145, Dustin is a former featherweight, and Max's winning-streak is over.
    Being down to fight anyone is cool and all but it isn't without consequences if you fail.

Kuksenkov likes this.
  8. SKITZADACTYL

SKITZADACTYL Gold Belt

shut up fortheo, i used to think you were a decent poster but you're clearly a fuckin stupid IDIOT for asking a question!! (even though you said you thought the loss didn't devalue the FW belt)

IDIOT.

Sjb1888 and fortheo like this.
  9. Beans & Cornbread

Beans & Cornbread Blue Belt

the fight was at LW so it doesnt matter. I think tho, Max wont be the same fighter after this.

10. Huligani

Huligani Number One Bullshit

No and that fight should've been declared a draw.

11. chubbman

chubbman Yellow Card

The 145 belt is devalued because he never beat the champ for it not because of one lose in a higher weight class.

12. CatchnShoot

CatchnShoot Black Belt

Not one tiny bit.

It's not the same as the heavier champ moving down and getting KTFO...... Silly Dilly style.

Also, it was a great fight and Max performed exceedingly well, it just wasn't quite enough.
    As much as he says any weightclass, I'll scrap, there are weight classes for a reason.

13. Kaiokenrye24

Kaiokenrye24 Brown Belt

Max was soundly outclassed not in denial of that just saying that the loss shouldn’t hurt his stock or the 145 title that much.
    The weigh in doesn’t mean much either TJ made 124.5 but no one thinks he’s a flyweight

fortheo likes this.
  14. Mr Fahrenheit

Mr Fahrenheit Blue Belt

I think it does ever so slightly. Not just the loss, but the way Max looked like a teenager in there with a grown man.

15. xn7

xn7 Red Belt

16. Mr Fahrenheit

Mr Fahrenheit Blue Belt

That’s really low level analysis I’m afraid. Dustin clearly looked like he was getting the most out of every pound of that 155-lb frame. Max looked generally how he did at 145. I’m sure he had an easier cut, but that only helps so much if that’s all you use the extra ten pounds for.

Everyone can pack on weight when they’re not training. It doesn’t mean anything. Different fighters are at their best in different divisions. Every divisional change every fighter has ever made came with pros and cons. Sometimes the pros outweigh the cons and sometimes they don’t.

When Robert Whittaker moved up to 185 he looked like a totally legitimate middleweight. When Sergio Pettis moved from 125 to 135 he still looked like an upjumped flyweight. Max looked more like Sergio to me. He’s still fantastic, and could go up to 155 and beat a lot of guys. But against a peak-of-his-powers lightweight contender Max was clearly giving something up in grown man strength.

HunterAcosta likes this.
  17. UFCBlackbelt

UFCBlackbelt Blue Belt

Look =/= fact

Max Holloway was drained cutting weight, and looked out of it even after cutting weight.

Meanwhile, Conor when he was at 170, his natural weight, did not look like this.

[​IMG]

Max is a LW who cuts to FW. Dustin is a LW who is a LW

Kuksenkov and HunterAcosta like this.
  18. Kuksenkov

Kuksenkov White Belt

First of all, I don't like Max and think is overrated by his fans. Second of all, I don't think this devalues the belt itself; he still won it and defended it, and the bout at 226 was at a different weight class.

It's like saying that DC and Nunes going up was a devaluation of their own titles, and the ones they won. Dustin simply prepared well and was the better fighter. If anything lost any stock, that would be Max himself because he now looks less impressive, after Dustin exposed his lack of defensive skills.

19. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot Brown Belt

Did bj's loss to gsp devalue his belt?

20. Fadetoblack918

Fadetoblack918 Purple Belt

Not at all. A loss at LW doesnt tarnish anything hes accomplished at featherweight. Still the best FW right now.