Does Max's loss devalue the FW belt?

I actually think Max has a better showing if he just fully commited to LW and gave himself a tougher cut.

Ofc not. It actually gives the belt more value. The current FW champion is skilled enough to go up a weight class and put on a show against a more powerful opponent. It speaks millions..

Nah, he fought like hell at a higher weight class and got decisioned. He's still the 145 king.

not
Max performance was bad but he has his moments in 3 and 4 round, he lacks of power in 155 but his chin, pressure and striking still very good

And fuck, he lost a decision against a fighter who finished killers like Justin, Eddie or Pettis
no shame in his loss

Dustin is a million times bigger than he was at fw, Max has holes that were apparent at 145 but it shouldnt devalue the 145 belt

Fucking lol, Dustin weighed in at 154.5 and is 5'9, he has not had trouble making 155 and does not cut a shitton. Dustin walks around at 178ish, Max Holloway struggled to make Lightweight before on short notice. Max weighs 174~176 walk around.

Don't you dare try to take away from the fact that Max simply got outclassed. If this was FW it would be the same.

I think the score card doesn't really reflect the story of the fight.
It was much closer than the 49-46 makes you think.

I think the score card doesn't really reflect the story of the fight.
It was much closer than the 49-46 makes you think.
Scorecard was garbage but at least Max got 1 round. In the JJ vs Rose 2 decision JJ didn't get a single round. Neither fight deserved a 49-46. Almost boxing level bullshit.

Judging is either hot garbage or corrupt AF with little sanity in between.

I think this concerns just him. Edgar was the LW champ for a good while and got beat twice by Aldo, more decisively than his defeat to Bendo. Conor moved up and worked Eddie. Max is better suited for FW, even though you'd think he's got every edge against a fighter of Poirier's caliber. A good, but not elite jack of all trades. Yet he looked soft and lacked power at 155. So I think it depends on the fighter, and a division's reputation consists of its history, not a single example.

In your opinion, does Max's loss to Dustin devalue the FW belt?

Personally, I don't think it does, but I'd like to hear the opinions of sherbros.
absolutely not. he lost to one of the best in the division. he actually was quite a match for dustin despite fighting at that weight for the first time. Max finished stronger imo.

nah, just proved that max isn't as effective at 155 because he doesn't carry his power up there, and he's already a volume puncher at 145.

people will shit on me for this, but i still believe holloway is the better fighter than poirier and will be regarded as the better fighter in the long run, poirier was bigger and hits hard and max doesn't, i mean poirier gets hurt in a bunch of his fights and max never really " hurt " him, stung him a couple times but poirier never got that hurt.

if max wants a future at 155 he's gonna have to put on some muscle or something, or find a way to put a lil more on his punches. don't get me wrong max can still break most of the top 10 at LW, but the power just isn't there right now.
Yup, Max will need to put on some muscle to hit a bit harder, but I think his cardio and volume punching will be great at 155 if he learns some fucking head movement.

Max really could've taken less damage and worn out Dustin by making him miss punches. Instead he relied on his chin and that didn't win him the fight when he absorbed as much damage as he did.

I see Max a lot like Nick Diaz. I'd like to see more of Nick's style, where Max can mix in more body strikes and better head movement. Max is great with the pressure, but he needs a little more pop on the punches at 155.

Its Holloways own fault for not putting on some quality mass in order to prepare for the 155 division. Cant think about 145 when going up is what cost him

Not even a bit. He went up and fought a much bigger guy, and in the very first exchange, every one with sense and observational skills, saw that the weight disadvantage was going to be a problem.

It reminded me of Benson Henderson vs Brandon Thatcher. The size difference was obvious and Benson was having a hard time striking with Brandon, but he still found a way to choke him out.

Therefore, what I learned is that Max Holloway needs to do more work on his grappling and strength conditioning.
fuck off 10 lbs shouldn't make much of a difference. If it did then you aren't an elite fighter. max fought extremely well but he just lacked experience at LW. he will adapt.

No he went up in weight to fight an elite fighter and went the distance. Not like he went down and got smoked

I think it does kind of devalue the LW belt, or at least Max' ability to successfully defend it. Does anyone besides me wonder if DP can still make FW?

Prior to the fight, Max almost had an aura of invincibility at FW. Moving forward, I don't think that will be the case until he strings together some more W's.

In your opinion, does Max's loss to Dustin devalue the FW belt?

Personally, I don't think it does, but I'd like to hear the opinions of sherbros.

Why would moving UP in weight be held against anyone?

People should be making fun of Juiced Jones for calling out a MW while avoiding HW.

Back