Does Mark Hunt have a possibility for a serious run at the HW belt ?

Your first question I literally answered completely in the exact post you quoted of mine....Read something before you quote it.

I said id give him the advantage over Mir, Werdum. I don't think their wrestling is good enough to bring it to the ground. Hunt would connect, and they would drop.

Uhmm Hunt is a guy with an almost negative MMA record. :icon_lol:

lol @people like you, who claim he has improved. Just a reminder, not long time ago he lost to fucking McCorkle via submission and you would favour him against contenders like Mir or Werdum? haha rofl

He had landed few barely connecting punches as Reem was coming in, and like one via G'n'P. I thought he had landed lowkick, but re-watched, and it was a miss.

Obviously, none of those save one punch were of any significance.

My point is that suggestion -in that first page post - that Hunt shoot for TD because Reem was beating him in the stand-up or whatever was silly.

Lol I know.

Uhmm Hunt is a guy with an almost negative MMA record. :icon_lol:

lol @people like you, who claim he has improved. Just a reminder, not long time ago he lost to fucking McCorkle via submission and you would favour him against contenders like Mir or Werdum? haha rofl

Because he is bad motherfucker who didn't give a shit and pretty much went straight from kickboxing to MMA.

Not a long time ago? you must not train...

The fight your referring 2, happened in 2010...its now going on 2013. Do you have any idea how much someone can improve in 2 years when all they do is train???? Even more so if they just focus on one aspect.

People like you I don't laugh at. I pity, and fear really. There is nothing more dangerous than someone who believes something blindly, without real reason, and without thinking it through.

He will KO struve.

He had landed few barely connecting punches as Reem was coming in, and like one via G'n'P. I thought he had landed lowkick, but re-watched, and it was a miss.

Obviously, none of those save one punch were of any significance.

My point is that suggestion -in that first page post - that Hunt shoot for TD because Reem was beating him in the stand-up or whatever was silly.

Reem dodged those punches with very good head movement and defense. I watched it over and over and dont see what you see...I guess its a point of being a fan or hater.

Nobody beat anybody in the standup. Overeem was far too quick for Hunt.

Speed....maybe with footwork, hunts punches come pretty quick, look at that left hook he snapped Kongo with. Not to mention his chin, I think he could eat a shot from JDS, Could JDS eat a clean shot from hunt? I think it would fuck with JDS a bit, he hasn't fought a striker like hunt (cro cop was broken, and stylistically, hunts a better match up via striking)

Size, reach, cardio, sure ill give JDS those.

But hunts technical ability is better. I give technique the advantage always. His timing is ridiculous. The amount of hours he has spent doing drills, sparring, practicing this and that is so much > than JDS, than factor in his striking experience.

Hunt would beat any heavyweight in the UFC in a kickboxing match.

Not saying JDS couldn't stick and move. But we are talkign about chances here...yes he has a chance, a pretty dam big one if you ask me, Id give him the edge vs the current champ.

JDS took a ahit from Carwun and didn't get wobbled, i think he coukd take a few from Hunt. As far as speed, JDS would have the advantage with either footwork or handspeed. Yes, Hunt nailed Kongo with a good counter, but JDS still has faster hands. Look at the left hook he hit Yvel with, the uppercut on Werdum, or the jab-overhand combo he hit Cain with.

Hunt has more experience, but JDS is younger and has a completely different style than anything Hunt would see in K1.

I'm not saying Hunt has no chance, but he doesn't possess supernatural striking ability because he won K1 over a decade ago.

maybe if the number contender got injured and he became the late replacement.

Because he is bad motherfucker who didn't give a shit and pretty much went straight from kickboxing to MMA.

Not a long time ago? you must not train...

The fight your referring 2, happened in 2010...its now going on 2013. Do you have any idea how much someone can improve in 2 years when all they do is train???? Even more so if they just focus on one aspect.

People like you I don't laugh at. I pity, and fear really. There is nothing more dangerous than someone who believes something blindly, without real reason, and without thinking it through.

Without any reasons? Again, he lost to fucking McCorkle and has an almost negative MMA record.
What do you suggest? Do you want me to tell that all his losses are irrelevant now, because you believe that he has soooooooo much improved? Cool, so his KOs are legit, but his losses are irrelevant?

Bro, Hunt is 38 years old. In all these years he couldn

I really dislike Overeem since he failed the drug test, but I have to admit that the Reem is a horrible matchup for Hunt, prbobaly the worst. Not only because Alistair has a superior stand up game, but mainly, to make matters even worse he has also nasty submssions in his arsenal, which is Hunts biggest weakness.

Fair enough and understandable.

No. He has the ability to beat JDS but he'll never make it there unless it's gifted to him a la Chael Sonnen.

I agree. But beating guys like Velasquez, Carwin, or anyone else that can take him down along the way to JDS will be the problem

With the right matching, and some luck, sure he can.

He can`t beat grapplers with decent takedowns, but I think he have a chance against any striker in the UFC.

Let`s say he KO`s a couple of guys, and top it off with knocking out the reem, he has the shot. Probably? No

I'm a Hunt fan and it's really too bad that the guy ground game is pratically non existant/mediocre. Imagine if he only had decent BJJ or wrestling ? Not a Werdum or Nog but just decent to at least being able to thwart sub atteps , block transitions ect Combined with his stand up he would have been an extremely dangerous MMA fighter.

Anyway to answer the OP question. If he beats Struve , a top 10 guy and a top 5 guy it will be hard to deny him a shot imho. However he would most likely lose as soon as he is matched with anyone with decent TD and ground game. The irony in this is that he probably has a better chance to beat JDS than a lot of guys in the division simply due to his stand up.

But what really needs to happen is Hunt vs Nelson. Do it for the love of god !!! :D

I've seen several posts indicating that Hunt can win the belt if he just "works on his TDD". He's 38 years old! I know CroCop and GSP did it, but most guys who don't come from an amateur wrestling background have a terribly difficult time learning to stop TDs from guys who have wrestled for 20 years. Young guys like Mousasi and Erick Silva still have time to develop good TDD, but not Hunt.

I agree. But beating guys like Velasquez, Carwin, or anyone else that can take him down along the way to JDS will be the problem

I think even JDS might have good enough TDs to get Hunt down. And I think JDS is a BJJ black belt too. Of course, I would bank on JDS standing with Hunt, as a matter of pride.

I think he'd have a chance vs JDS but I don't see how he wins enough fights against ranked opponents to get to a title fight. Also Cain is gonna be champion in a few days and would GnP Hunt to an easy TKO win imo.

If he has a long lucky streak, is in the right place at the right time like if he's a last minute injury replacement, plays a perfect game and makes no mistakes, seizes every opponent to land the perfect strike, then he could beat enough guys in a row to become champ. Same thing with Pat Barry. These guys added to their MMA games and can escape some ground positions. They could put it all together and have a good day when the champ has a bad day.

Back