Does MAchida dropping expose a lack of confidence in Anderson's rematch?

i think machida just dropped weight class bec he wont get lhw title shot again after that loss against davis (and jones not wanting to fight him again)

I dont see Anderson being in the sport in 3 years times. I think Machida just wants to stay busy. Nothing more into that.

Well I think Machida & Anderson are on the fritz.

Anderson said no brazilian can beat Jones when Machida was in line to fight him.

Machida said he didn't know who will win in Anderson vs Weidman.

Now this is very rare for Brazilians. Hate to stereotype but it's true, even for these two. They went from always picking each other to all the sudden not.

Pretty sure they haven't trained together for quite awhile as well. Years if I'm correct. I know Silva recently said he won't fight Machida, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Machida willing to fight Silva for the belt. He wouldn't drop down otherwise.

If both keep winning I see the fight happening.

The chance of Ryu getting a title shot at lhw with bones as champ is lower then that of weidman winning again.

I think he dropped because he has more options to fight at 185.
More options = fights more often = more money in the bank.

FYI,

Last time Silva fought Weidman, Machida DID NOT pick a winner.

There were also reports someone from Silva's camp was causing major problems but they didn't name who.

Machida just finally dropped to 185.

Machida is already fighting one of his training partners in Munoz.

Silva said he didn't want to fight Munoz because they had trained together.

Conspiracies are welcome.

Machida secretly is jealous of Anderson and wants to destroy him along with his training partners, there ya go.

well he cant win the belt at lhw.

Maybe Machida knows that Anderson plans on vacating the belt?
Could be. But I struggle to believe he would win it and quit. HIs marketing with Ronaldo's company is still young and MMA is still on a huge growth curve in Brazil and I think he likes being at the head of it.

Maybe Machida knows that his loss to Davis has pushed him back in the pack with Davis, Gus, Cormier, and since he's already lost to Jones, chances of getting a title shot in the next year at LHW are unlikely, so he may as well just take some fights and make some money.

There are many better money fights at LHW then the one he is taking at MW.

Machida must be at least 18 months from a title shot, no matter the division.

I feel safe saying you hold no grip on the matchmaking steering wheel.

Maybe Machida knows that Anderson plans on vacating the belt?

Maybe Machida knows that his loss to Davis has pushed him back in the pack with Davis, Gus, Cormier, and since he's already lost to Jones, chances of getting a title shot in the next year at LHW are unlikely, so he may as well just take some fights and make some money.

I have always held the humble opinion Anderson's long-term plans were never to be MW champion. The Weidman rematch has just been about vengeance, it was never about the gold, he really wants to avenge the loss like Okami before. Similarily GSP wanted nothing more at the time than to beat Serra, it happened. What he said right after the match might have been butterflies however I feel there's truth to it, defeating Weidman is only in the short-term.

Whoever's involved in the next championship would be determined by Zuffa's picking.

Maybe Anderson is more seriously considering retirement than his 10-fight contract would imply.

This, and also the below post about Machida being a ways off a shitle tot. Basically if Anderson wins I'd expect him to retire, if he loses then another fight or two to get a W then retire. The guy is pretty old and I'm sure the loss has made him reassess how long he intends to keep fighting.

I think it's entirely possible (even likely) that both men hold the MW belt in the next two years and without any pressure to fight one another.

Machida was 3-4 from his last 7, so not really in title contention even if that last loss is viewed by many to be very debatable.

Also he is 35 and should probably finish his career where he can be most effective.

I think it will be good for him.

Keep in mind there's always the possibility of moving back up, so far I haven't hear Machida saying this is a permanent move.

Another example of an Anderson's friend/training partner at 185 would be Jacare, who has already stated he's ready to move to 205 if Anderson wins his upcoming fight.

Back