Does Khabib's Legacy Get An Asterisk for Not Fighting at Higher Weight Class (Like Conor & GSP)?

Does Khabib's legacy get an asterisk for not fighting at a higher weight class?

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The 155-Pound Safe Space

Khabib Has No Plans to Jump Weights Like Conor McGregor, GSP, or Anderson Silva

Khabib Nurmagomedov has no plans of jumping weight class. However, it eliminates a lot of interesting match-ups at the welterweight division. Coach Javier Mendez was asked about Khabib and his thoughts on a potential match against Jorge Masvidal. Here’s what he had to say.

“165? Absolutely not! Khabib has been very adamant about [being] a 155-er. He is not looking for new challenges, jump up in weight. He fights at 155. So, if for whatever reasons UFC offers Georges at some point at 155, I am sure, it would be good for both of them. But it will be at 155.”

Coach Javier Mendez claimed that Khabib wants to stay at the lightweight division, and has no interest in jumping weights. However, it’s highly unlikely that Georges St-Pierre will agree to a match at 155, but not impossible. St-Pierre is a former welterweight champion, and made a one match return for the middleweight championship. St-Pierre vs Khabib is a big money fight and an incredible fighting game between two of the best wrestlers in MMA.

https://www.essentiallysports.com/k...ht-division-according-to-coach-javier-mendez/

Ok let’s be real GSP cherry picked Michael Bisping cause it was an easy fight.

that being said, no. Khabib is not short on contenders. LW is so stacked he could realistically find 5 more title fights that are intriguing, and by the time he’s done more will present themselves. His weight class is not in a state that would make me want to see him look for fights outside of it.

Last edited:
Only newer fans are obsessed about fighters in multiple weight class. This is not boxing.

He would have a better legacy fighting legit contenders in his own weightclass than hopping around and fight washed up fighters at another weight. He wants to be the best and test himself against legit contenders. Also he knows his limits, khabib is smart.

For me clearing out a division full of top contenders is far more impressive than waiting for a perfect stylistic matchup in a higher weight class

Ok let’s be real GSP cherry pick Michael Bisping cause it was an easy fight.

that being said, no. Khabib is not short on contenders. LW is so stacked he could realistically find 5 more title fights that are intriguing, and by the time he’s done more will present themselves. His weight class is not in a state that would make me want to see him look for fights outside of it.
Nah bro, GSP would've totally fought Yoel and Whittaker if it weren't for that sudden attack of colitis

{<jordan}

Call me old fashioned, but i would have more appreciation for him if he just stays at his weight and defends against legit hungry title contenders, rather than moving up for "legends" that are way past their prime looking for that last big paycheck...

No. His legacy makes more sense by fighting legit contenders at his weight of choice (155). I just want great fights, regardless of weight class. Whatever he chooses to do is fine by me. No different than a fighter who chooses to go to different weight classes.

Hell Jones is already considered the GOAT by some fanboys while the dude made a career fighting washed pride 185er + having a real asterix caught cheating multiple times.

GSP was already considered the GOAT before facing bisping, actually beating Bisping is not that great of an achievement, coming from a HUGE gsp fan btw ...

Last edited:
Aldo never moved up to Lightweight in the UFC, and he's still the FW GOAT.
Prior to fighting Bisping, GSP had never moved up and he was (and remains) the WW GOAT.
How many fanboys call Jones the overall GOAT, despite him never moving up to HW?

Furthermore, LW is the most stacked division in all of MMA, so this type of question applies even less to Nurmagomedov.

Terrible thread.

source.gif

Hell Jones is already considered the GOAT by some fanboys while the dude made a career fighting washed pride MW

Not to correct you, but to clarify a bit, pride MW was 205 pounds, so it is UFCs LHW...

Cause when you say washed pride MWs it might sound like he was fighting Paulo Filho and Dennis Kang or something....

Conor would have a better legacy than weight jumping by actually defending a belt.

No, jumping around cherrypicking opponents a different weight class does nothing for your actual legacy. Remember Dana made Silva STOP jumping around because it was messing with the LHW rankings? Just because he let SOME fighters do it and other get squat means its meaningless to a legacy.

The 155-Pound Safe Space

Khabib Has No Plans to Jump Weights Like Conor McGregor, GSP, or Anderson Silva

Khabib Nurmagomedov has no plans of jumping weight class. However, it eliminates a lot of interesting match-ups at the welterweight division. Coach Javier Mendez was asked about Khabib and his thoughts on a potential match against Jorge Masvidal. Here’s what he had to say.

“165? Absolutely not! Khabib has been very adamant about [being] a 155-er. He is not looking for new challenges, jump up in weight. He fights at 155. So, if for whatever reasons UFC offers Georges at some point at 155, I am sure, it would be good for both of them. But it will be at 155.”

Coach Javier Mendez claimed that Khabib wants to stay at the lightweight division, and has no interest in jumping weights. However, it’s highly unlikely that Georges St-Pierre will agree to a match at 155, but not impossible. St-Pierre is a former welterweight champion, and made a one match return for the middleweight championship. St-Pierre vs Khabib is a big money fight and an incredible fighting game between two of the best wrestlers in MMA.

https://www.essentiallysports.com/k...ht-division-according-to-coach-javier-mendez/
like GSP maybe but why conrat? he fought lightweights who didn't cut, at WW, just lie he did, its not the same as fighting a real WW

Dumbest question I've ever heard.

Back