Does judo work ?

Minotauro Nogueira
Ronaldo Jacare Souza
Yoshihiro Akiyama
Karo "Bro" Parysian(spelling?)

just a few names

Yes its a great base to have but you need to learn more to survive in mma , The olympic style judo throws can make you fall into some really bad predictaments . You stick to the first 10 to 15 traditional throws in the kodakan and work off them they will help you. the ground game is ok but it wouldnt hurt if you trained some bjj to help with some fundamentals that can be overlooked because of judo rules being implemented at clubs at all times .
But your takedown defense would'nt suffer at all .

I did judo for 3 years and I love the sport I have been doing bjj for the last 2 I have to say both have there benefits and both have there downfalls Doing both would prob be better if you can.

I have no clue why there isnt clubs out there that have a combined program along the lines of dave caramillo's style of jj it just makes sense .

But seriously if your profecient in judo and boxing it can prob take you pretty far being able to have a wicked base to go along with dirty boxing is great .

I would also add Dong Hyun Kim to the list of Judokas who have successfully translated their Judo skills in MMA.

I don't think you would make it in mma with judo alone. But you would have a pretty good take down defence.

Judo works very well, but certain individual judo styles are probably more applicable in MMA than others.

I don't think you would make it in mma with judo alone. But you would have a pretty good take down defence.

You cant make it in MMA these days with any "one" style alone. They all crosstrain. You have to or your gonna be left behind.

Judo works. Its tried and proven over and over.

Such as ?

There are plenty "styles" of Judo despite what most think. Just like lots of BJJ guys are good at full/half guard or who is more comfortable on top.

Although the IJF rule changes this year has rendered some styles of Judo useless (no leg attacks standing up).

There are plenty "styles" of Judo despite what most think. Just like lots of BJJ guys are good at full/half guard or who is more comfortable on top.

Although the IJF rule changes this year has rendered some styles of Judo useless (no leg attacks standing up).

All my attacks where based on the shoot or kata guruma i would shoot to get in clinch and go for hip throws when ever I am at judo now the guys just let me do what every I want instaed of correcting me because I am mainly there to help my bjj stand up so I havent had been to a judo tournament with the new rules .

BUt man I know some guys taht are pretty furious about it .

All my attacks where based on the shoot or kata guruma i would shoot to get in clinch and go for hip throws when ever I am at judo now the guys just let me do what every I want instaed of correcting me because I am mainly there to help my bjj stand up so I havent had been to a judo tournament with the new rules .

Yes it seems now the only way to practice proper Judo is to enter BJJ competitions these days.

not by itself, but it is awesome as a supplement to other fighting skills

Yes it seems now the only way to practice proper Judo is to enter BJJ competitions these days.

Yeah I have experienced the same stuff

easier to throw BJJers to:redface:

But I am comfortable enough with my BJJ now so that whenever they good judokas turtle after a failed throw (or turn when I have thrown them) I can choke them:icon_chee

Aside from the techniques - it's the intensity of (real) training that sets you up well.

Having said that, from a technical perspective if you havd to choose 2 styles for MMA I'd say muay-thai and BJJ - however I'd still supplement with judo or wrestling for that "physicality".

TS, if you haven't seen Karo's highlight clips, they're a sight

Back