does judo and bjj teach weapon disarming techniques?

Not true.

How to avoid self defense situations to begin with, and a logical breakdown of your behavior once it reaches the level of physical confrontation.

I agree, people need to be taught how to be aware so they don't get stuck in those situations.

In my opinion, the Filipino arts and the law enforcement programs are the best at this sort of thing.

if you want to learn disarms, take hapkido

Against someone who is moderately skilled with a knife you are going to get killed unless you get very lucky. Most knife attacks happen in the dark and by an assailant who is going to try to come upon you unawares. If the person has already decided to stab you then they will open with an attack. Most likely stabbing you multiple times.

Straight Blast Gym has some vids on the net about weapon defense and the like. People should check them out.

Weapons defense is pretty lame in general, because it violates the most important principle of BJJ -- training realistically. Instead you get the lame TMA practice.

If you actually worked a lot with full resistance and a marker, you'd probably improve a bit in your knife defense. But you'd have to do a ton of real sparring, and you're still getting stabbed 9 times out of 10. Just getting taught TMA "techniques" is pretty much worse than useless.

Like others have said, 90% of the time you'll never even see the knife. Only somebody who doesn't want to stab you is going to reveal the knife to you prior to stabbing you.

In the beginning jujitsu class, the first 8 weeks is pretty much self defense stuff.

Ok a few things that need to be mentioned.

1. The best defense against a weapon isn't to run away. If the guys is far enough away, it is a good option but within say 5 feet it could get you hurt. The situation will dictate and alot of times moving forward is the way to go.

Weapons defense is pretty lame in general, because it violates the most important principle of BJJ -- training realistically. Instead you get the lame TMA practice.

Also not true. It is called airsoft and simmunition. Simmunition is particulariy good because the guns look and function like real guns. There are alot of quality trainers that are intergrating full contact scenario training using airsoft or sims. There are knife products like the shockknife that allow realistic training with feedback as well.

3. The SBG program used to be/is the ISR Matrix. Paul Sharp is one of the creators and besides being a Cop and swat team member, is a shooting instructor and has fought professional MMA. He is very good.

4. If you want to learn realistic, useable weapons defenses BJJ or Judo is not the way to go. Check out:
shivworks.com - "SouthNarc" is one of the best intergrated trainers out there. He uses simmuntion a lot in his courses
ISRmatrix.org - the aforementioned SBG program. I am not sure if Paul is still involved but it is a pretty solid program.

5. I did a review of Royce gracie's BJJ self defense book a while back when I was still writing. I will see if I can dig it up and post it.

This is a pretty ignorant statement. There are plenty of people who practice both kata, and their reasons have nothing to do with promotions.

I stand corrected. No doubt there are clubs which teach it before that, and people who do them for reasons other than grading, though it's not something I've heard of before. If you do either or both yourself, take a look at some of the suggested defenses, especially in goshin jitsu. And then have your uke roll up a piece paper into a knife, and have him try to "cut" you with it - not in static one lunge attacks, but with the moving slashes normally used by someone with a knife. Try the kata defenses, and see if you find they're realistic.

Curiously enough, I find the kime-no-kata defenses better than the goshin jitsu ones (kime-no-kata is the older kata), even though much of it deals with kneeling positions and swords, neither of which is particularly relevant in modern society. But that's only relatively better, I wouldn't have much confidence in being able to use the techniques from either, especially if only practiced during kata.

Ok a few things that need to be mentioned.

1. The best defense against a weapon isn't to run away. If the guys is far enough away, it is a good option but within say 5 feet it could get you hurt. The situation will dictate and alot of times moving forward is the way to go.

Also not true. It is called airsoft and simmunition. Simmunition is particulariy good because the guns look and function like real guns. There are alot of quality trainers that are intergrating full contact scenario training using airsoft or sims. There are knife products like the shockknife that allow realistic training with feedback as well.

3. The SBG program used to be/is the ISR Matrix. Paul Sharp is one of the creators and besides being a Cop and swat team member, is a shooting instructor and has fought professional MMA. He is very good.

4. If you want to learn realistic, useable weapons defenses BJJ or Judo is not the way to go. Check out:
shivworks.com - "SouthNarc" is one of the best intergrated trainers out there. He uses simmuntion a lot in his courses
ISRmatrix.org - the aforementioned SBG program. I am not sure if Paul is still involved but it is a pretty solid program.

5. I did a review of Royce gracie's BJJ self defense book a while back when I was still writing. I will see if I can dig it up and post it.

I don't doubt you *could* do training that increases your weapons defense. What I'm saying is that BJJ and other TMAs isn't it. If you have full-resistance, open rules engagement, then it's clearly going to help. On the other hand, as mentioned before, even those kinds of "training" are often unrealistic, since 90% of the time you're not even going to see the weapon until you get hit with it. Instead of facing off against a guy waving a plastic knife at you from 12 feet away and then saying "go."

Even when you do train it, however, it's not very realistic, since you miss the most common real defense -- both hands try to grab the weapon hand, and then you bite your opponent. How are you going to train biting realistically, over and over again? I know Roy Harris does train biting all the time, which is no doubt helpful and realistic, but really ... why focus that much on something that is so unlikely. I don't want to practice biting noses and nipples over and over, a la Roy Harris. It's no fun.

No, they dont train disarming techniques.

Some stuff might be useful though - especially armlocks/bars.

If I ended up in a scuffle with someone wielding a knife, I'd be doing my best to get control of the arm that holds the knife and applying a fig-4 or straight armbar until the arm goes. There'd be no tapping either - nor a gently applied submission - it'd be s n a p.

All the advantages are in the knife-wielder's hands, though - having some fighting ability isn't going to tip the balance in your favour.

Back