Does Jose Aldo really dominate Rubens Charles on the mat?

morote gari**

White Belt
Reaction score
I've heard this thrown around quite a bit, but is it actually true or just a BS rumor that got out of hand?

Figured I'd get a better response here than in the heavies.

I want to know this as well. I was thinking about it yesterday and I couldn't believe it/didn't want to believe it.

I highly doubt they even train together. I've heard he beat Cobrinha in a match when they were brown belts.

I doubt that at Cobrinha's current level. Maybe when Cobrinha was a lower level belt...

He beat him when they were brown belts, on points. This is just a guess, but taking into account that Cobrinha has apparently never had his guard passed, I'd imagine Aldo pulled guard and swept him.

who care man both of them are champion.

How scary is it to think that the best part of Aldo's game might be the ground. Definitely number 1 lb for lb in my opinion... Maybe not proven at this point but skill wise, without a doubt.

Can't speak to the rumor, but Cobrinha crushes him nowadays. Aldo is an incredibly well-rounded MMA fighter although Cobrinha at brown belt wasn't the time he excelled. Apparently he had a lot of struggles (not like us mere mortals) and had a lot of bad habits to break. Even after he got his blackbelt -- I believe -- Terere kept forcing him to break them and one day everything just clicked for him. After that he went to the stratosphere. Mendes is the only one who "does" hang with him... those two are well ahead of the pack though.

was this gi or nogi?

cobrinha wasn't at the level of greatness or domination during brown belt that he became at black belt,

so that old brown belt match means nothing as to where they are now as grapplers.

Cobrinha started BJJ relatively late compared to most world champions. He was already in his 20's when he started. So it's entirely possible that Jose Aldo beat him several years ago, but there's no way in hell it's happening today. Cobrinha has improved way too much since then.

Where's the source for this? I've seen this repeated a bunch of times but I've never seen an interview or link.

It's still an impressive win regardless of what form Cobrinha was in when the match happened.
Aldo is a scary dude, I heard he once killed 2 stones with 1 bird :eek:

He's also the life of parties he doesn't even attend.

he beat cobrinha two times in one day at brown. Did he beat cobrinha both times? Yes did he dominate both times? To the best of my knowlage no

I heard from many sources that Aldo not only beat Cobrinha when they were brown belts, butt that he did it twice. 2-0 against Cobrinha just before he went on to become one of the most dominate black belt BJJ world champs in history is impressive.

Maybe J-Sho can pop his head in and confirm with which events and dates this hapened.. and what gi's the were wearing, and how any times Cobrinha's belt loosened.

Back